• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2018 World Cup Semi Finals

mattitouk

Life President
As the title suggests,

Thought's formations, predictions and opinions on here..

So what we know is this.....

France (7th) V Belgium (3rd)
&
Croatia (20th) V England (12th)

My opinion....

France will take Belgium to extra time (and win on penalties).

England 3-1 against Croatia within 90 minutes.

World Cup Final...England V France.

Last edited:
For me each semi final reflects the tournament as a whole. Each tie is one collection of excellent individuals and the other is a team that has gelled together.
France have a superb keeper and defence with good players in midfield and up front. At no point have they been impressive as a cohesive unit.

Belgium have the excellent individuals and seem to play as a team. Very, very impressive but also frail as shown by Japan.

Croatia have underwhelmed. They were poor against Denmark and against Russia. Excellent players in central midfield, wingers, attacking midfield and good up top. But they haven't looked like a team to me, at least not an impressive and cohesive one.

England. The only one of the last four not tagged as a Golden Generation, no last chance saloon for this lot. Have impressed with the work rate and set pieces but play a very open midfield and Sterling is so lacking in confidence, desperately needs a goal. We don't have anything to fear from the other teams left in the competition but certainly aren't favourites to win the thing. There's a decent half chance that it's coming home.

IF;IF.. we get to the final,think we would have a "tad" more chance v Belgium than France...cannot wait

I wouldn't be writing Belgium off at all....think they may well beat France.

IF;IF.. we get to the final,think we would have a "tad" more chance v Belgium than France...cannot wait

Agreed with this. It’s a huge ‘if’ in terms of getting to the final, as Croatia are a really good team (as you’d expect in a World Cup SF). If this was a friendly though, or a qualifier, we’d be feeling confident. This is of course a different prospect but the spirit in our camp is so completely different to anything I can remember for an England team - a real template for the future, and hats off to Sir Gareth for that - that for once it feels like our confidence is built on solid foundations.

In the final, it’s such a huge occasion that it’s difficult to predict how any of the four teams will perform relative to their inherent potential. Injuries, suspensions and general battle-weariness may play a part. I’d love us to beat Croatia in normal time and for the other semi to go the full two hours including extra time... anything to give us a little edge!

I wouldn't be writing Belgium off at all....think they may well beat France.

They definitely could OBL, but France just look pretty ominous. Skilful, powerful, confident and in good form. They are certainly my favourites to win the whole damn thing. However, beating France in the final would be so sweet :Smile:

Just for fun I looked at flights to Moscow. As suspected it's the telly at home for the semi and possibly the pub if we make the final.

Yep I agree with this, they are a massive threat going forwards but they leave big spaces at the back that I think we can exploit, Brazil wasted several chances they should have buried and Japan got 2 against them. France on the other hand look very solid at the back and I don't think we look threatening enough in open play to trouble them so we'd probably have to play defensively and hope for a goal on the counter.

We qualified from the group against rubbish opposition and were beaten by Belgium, typical.......we took on a Colombian team that would give us a really testing examination, after all we hadn't played well yet. Crickey, we were oh so lucky to squeeze past them Colombians cos they were better than us and the ref was biased according to the fine upstanding chap called Maradona. Next up Sweden, surely this would be a final swansong as they were more experienced. The trouble was nobody told our players and once again they sneaked a lucky win without conceding a goal. Next up Croatia, surely this will be where we come to a very sticky end and Southgate and co will become villains in the press that have let the country and the Government down big time. Or maybe, just maybe we will sneak yet another very lucky win and hobble off to Moscow for the final against France or Belgium, unthinkable.

Just enjoy the ride people, we now have an English supporter base similar to the size of the crowd we took to Wembley first time round who have always supported England without any pessimism at all.

Watch out for Croatia.They're a proper football team. Certainly,Luka Modrić, is the most creative midfield player I've seen in recent seasons.Rakitić isn't bad either.

A mate in San Sebastian (a Brummie) emailed me to say he hoped that England would play France in the final.Personally, I think it's going to be Croatia v Belgium.We'll see.

Apart from one snidey ex pat, the whole of the country will be behind the team on Wednesday. And I'd like to bet another nation will be in our corner as well, Serbia.

I'd imagine that not one person on here cares where you will be and even less your false good wishes.

As you know very well Al,there's at least one, if not more.Nothing "false" about my good wishes,either.

Will be aiming to see the match on catch up after the concert.Doubt that Mike Scott,leader of The Waterboys -as a good Scot-will be mentioning the score,unless we lose of course.:Winking:

If we get to the final the family will be finding a place in London to watch it.

Now this is where I have a problem. Do I book a days holiday that I can't really afford to have to go banana cuckoo down the pub or watch it at home and miss out on the possible nut nut celebrations. Jumping the gun abit as we still have Croatia to get pass but still, tough call for me.

We have confidence, belief and an amazing team spirit. Croatia and France or Belgium will be put to the sword.

Hopefully there will be plenty of red cards in the France V Belgium match on the Tuesday night.....say 22 of them would be nice !! :Smile:

I believe all yellow cards from previous games have now been wiped, but does anyone know of any French or Belgians who might be missing through injury?

I recall Mbappe was subbed not long after his knock, but i don't know if that was for fatigue or because he was on a yellow card, other players that were subbed for France were Griezmann (93rd minute) & Tolisso.
For Belgium, Chadli and Lukaku were also subbed late on.

As other posters have previously have said, I don't think Croatia really offer much in terms of a threat, except for Luka Modric... if we can man mark him out of the game, we stand a really good chance of cruising through to the final without much energy spent.

As other posters have previously have said, I don't think Croatia really offer much in terms of a threat, except for Luka Modric... if we can man mark him out of the game, we stand a really good chance of cruising through to the final without much energy spent.

is it too late to call up Ryan Leonard?

Back