• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question New changes to Roots Hall?

Good! But it did against Blackburn for the first game of last season as well. Did you stick your heel in and see whether the pitch cut up at all? :Thumbs up:

Any other changes afoot?
Wasn't down at pitch level, so no opportunity to "feel" it. I believe there are some changes to stand names with some sponsor changes, didn't see anything else majorly changed.

a new shirt sponsor would be nice .
Have heard rumours that might be happening, partly why the kit launch had to wait. Not sure why you think it would be nice, I thought highlighting the #AmyMayTrust was excellent last year.

old blue lady yes the change to Amy may trust was nice But that has to be a one off shirt .New shirt sponcers will bring in revenue the club need .

What was our last proper shirt sponsor that brought in any money, as can't really include Ron's company. Was it Insure and Go or was their someone else after them?

Yeah it was insure and go (2006/7 though to 2013/14) , then before them it was betterview windows (2004-06).

Trade Price Cars would be a great front of shirt sponsor.

Much as I admire Trade Price Cars and am grateful for a local company being generous and enthusiastic in their support of our local club, IMHO a local secondhand car dealer doesn't really fit the description of "great front of shirt sponsor" - after all we previously had United Artists - an international film producer. Even Insure and Go had a bit more of a national profile.

As a top half league one/aspiring to Championship club, I thought we might be able to attract a bigger company than that for the front of our shirts.

Much as I admire Trade Price Cars and am grateful for a local company being generous and enthusiastic in their support of our local club, IMHO a local secondhand car dealer doesn't really fit the description of "great front of shirt sponsor" - after all we previously had United Artists - an international film producer. Even Insure and Go had a bit more of a national profile.

As a top half league one/aspiring to Championship club, I thought we might be able to attract a bigger company than that for the front of our shirts.
This being the Trade Price Cars that is one of the major sponsors of ShrimperZone you mean? They are certainly a cut above Martin Dawn in the 'Sponsors I would welcome' game.

Last edited:
This being the Trade Price Cars that is one of the major sponsors of ShrimperZone you mean? They are certainly a cut above Martin Dawn in the 'Sponsors I would welcome' game.

As I said before, I'm not disputing their generosity or enthusiasm of the company and it's great that a local business is willing to put some of their hard earned profits towards supporting their local team - fair play to them for that. I don't disagree with your point about Martin Dawn either, as that is just Ron's way of putting his money into the club and getting a bit of self-promotion out of it.

My contention was the description of being a "great front of shirt sponsor" - in my opinion (and it is all about opinions - not right or wrong) - the front of shirt sponsor that a club is able to attract says something about the size and status of the club itself.

Clearly we're not going to be of a status to attract a FTSE 100 company or multi-national corporation, but in my opinion to be classed as a "great front of shirt sponsor" it would have to be something a bit bigger in size , or with more of a geographical reach, than Trade Price Cars - a secondhand car dealer in South Essex. That's why I gave the example of United Artists - they are an internationally known brand and I bet a few fans of other clubs thought "Southend must be on the way up if they can attract them to sponsor their shirts" (fair play to whoever in our commercial department pulled that one off at the time!)

i have nothing against Trade Price Cars at all - quite the opposite in fact, but they don't, IMHO, qualify as a "great front of shirt sponsor" as they carry little or no kudos outside of the immediate local area.

As I said before, I'm not disputing their generosity or enthusiasm of the company and it's great that a local business is willing to put some of their hard earned profits towards supporting their local team - fair play to them for that. I don't disagree with your point about Martin Dawn either, as that is just Ron's way of putting his money into the club and getting a bit of self-promotion out of it.

My contention was the description of being a "great front of shirt sponsor" - in my opinion (and it is all about opinions - not right or wrong) - the front of shirt sponsor that a club is able to attract says something about the size and status of the club itself.

Clearly we're not going to be of a status to attract a FTSE 100 company or multi-national corporation, but in my opinion to be classed as a "great front of shirt sponsor" it would have to be something a bit bigger in size , or with more of a geographical reach, than Trade Price Cars - a secondhand car dealer in South Essex. That's why I gave the example of United Artists - they are an internationally known brand and I bet a few fans of other clubs thought "Southend must be on the way up if they can attract them to sponsor their shirts" (fair play to whoever in our commercial department pulled that one off at the time!)

i have nothing against Trade Price Cars at all - quite the opposite in fact, but they don't, IMHO, qualify as a "great front of shirt sponsor" as they carry little or no kudos outside of the immediate local area.

I beg to differ.

It would be great to have the north and south paddocks back - standing is allowed in Division 3 isn't it?

Many other clubs have a giant telly with the team selection and replays of goals/action.
Yes,a large screen showing the full line-ups and then substitutions as they occur would be an excellent addition—if we had that,we could scrap the lousy public address system completely.

Hope Ronni has decided to hold back the water in the West side water closets just like Canute maybe,now that would be a welcome change.

Hope Ronni has decided to hold back the water in the West side water closets just like Canute maybe,now that would be a welcome change.

He has been doing this for a few years now. With the same kind of success as old King Canute.

(NB. I tried to use his Danish name, ****, but as can be seen the swear filter does not like Old Norse.)

If memory serves me they were involved in the cable being laid in the southend area for cable tv and therefore had an interest in promoting themselves and their services in southend and beyond.

Back