• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues on Tour Match Travel BARNSLEY - Saturday 3rd November 2018

On sale today £78 return from London which is disappointing as £46 was the price on another Saturday that I research.
Too expensive for me at the moment.
@DoDTS

Same price to Sheffield as well. as some times cheaper to get a cheap ticket to Sheffield and then onto Barnsley. I would expect some cheaper fares to come out in the next couple of weeks, I suppose we've just got to check on a regular basis.

Same price to Sheffield as well. as some times cheaper to get a cheap ticket to Sheffield and then onto Barnsley. I would expect some cheaper fares to come out in the next couple of weeks, I suppose we've just got to check on a regular basis.
I find the way they do these things baffling! Will keep an eye out for cost reduction, £50 is my limit really.

Barnsley – Saturday 3rd November 2018 - 3.00 pm Kick-Off
Oakwell - Capacity: 23,287 (all seated)
Address: Grove Street, Barnsley, S71 1ET
Telephone: 01226 211 211

Details for Southend United visit to Barnsley can be found on the following:

Post 2; - Barnsley By Road/Parking

Post 3, - Barnsley Where to Drink

Post 4 - Barnsley By Train

Post 5 - Barnsley By Coach

Post 6 –- Barnsley Ticket information

Post 7 - What’s the Ground like/Reviews

ALL THESE DETAILS OFFERED IN GOOD FAITH PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY BEFORE BOOKING
IF YOU CAN FIND CHEAPER FARES PLEASE LET US KNOW

This is your Forum please feel free to post anything relevant to this trip

Barnsley By Road/Parking

The following is from the footballgroundguide site;

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/...ell-barnsley.html#adirections-and-car-parking

Leave the M1 at Junction 37 and take the A628 towards Barnsley. Stay on this road (the ground is well signposted) and you will eventually see the ground on your right. There are a couple of car parks located at the ground, but they are mainly for permit holders only. In between the ground and the MetroDome is a car park for visiting supporters, called Queens Ground, which costs £5 Cars and £20 Coaches (post code S71 1AN). Otherwise you can try parking at the MetroDome itself (although it can be slow to get out of after the game has finished) or street parking.

Oakwell Ground Post Code for SAT NAV: S71 1ET

Barnsley Where to Drink

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/oakwell-barnsley.html#apubs-for-away-fans

Popular with away fans and in easy walking distance of Oakwell is the Metrodome Leisure Complex, which has a bar inside and also offers food.

Neil Tubby a visiting Norwich City fan, recommends the Dove Inn on Doncaster Road. This pub which is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, is an outlet for the Old Mill Brewery. It is only a five minute walk away from the ground down Oakwell Lane and is happily frequented by both home and away fans. Further along Doncaster Road (on the right after the Primary School on the left) is the Barnsley East Dene Working Mens Club, which is happy to admit visiting supporters (including accompanied children) for a small donation. You can also leave your car there at a cost of £2. Kevin Downsworth a visiting Hull City fan adds; ‘The Barnsley East Dene Club was very welcoming to us as away fans for a pre-game pint. Handy parking too and only about a ten minute walk away from Oakwell”. There is also the Harbour Hills Working Mens Club on Vernon Street, which also normally admits visiting supporters.

Drinking in the town centre is generally not recommended, especially near the Bus & Train Stations, although on my last visit I had a hassle free pint (or two) in the Joseph Bramah (Lloyds No.1) Wetherspoons in the centre of town, I should point out that I wasn't wearing colours. Alcohol is available in the away end in the form of Carlsberg bottles (£3.80), when the whole stand is allocated to away fans. Unfortunately, if the stand is split between home and away supporters, then the only bar on the concourse is situated on the home side. Kieran Bleasby a visiting Ipswich Town fan informs me; 'At the back of the stand on the concourse just past the main food and drink outlets, is a small enclosed room called the 'Beer Bar. It is for over 18's only and has a doorman, but made a welcome change.

BARNSLEY by Train

FROM THE STATION

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/oakwell-barnsley.html#aby-train

Barnsley Railway Station is about a ten minute walk away from Oakwell. This station is served by trains running between Sheffield and Leeds.

From the train station turn left away from the town centre and head towards the bridge that the dual-carriageway runs over. Go under the bridge and turn left up the slip road and then take the first road on the right and head towards the Metro Dome leisure complex at the top of the hill. Oakwell is now clearly visible. Thanks to Ian Ambler & Bryn Williams for providing the directions

TRAIN FROM LONDON/SOUTHEND

Train prices have only just been released and showing £78.00 return from London and £101.90 from Southend. I would hope these prices will reduce in the next few days so would advise holding fire at the moment.

09.31 London St Pancras, change at Sheffield arrive Barnsley 12.29
£29.00 now £33.00 advance single
17.30 Barnsley change at Wakefield Kirkgate and Wakefield Westgate arrive Kings Cross 20.29 £22 advance single

Tickets must be bought in advance but can be bought on line at:
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servi...Y/031118/0900/dep/031118/1700/dep#outwardJump

If you are travelling from Southend it is worth giving consideration to the coach services mentioned elsewhere which will be cheaper and easier

Last edited:
Last edited:
BARNSLEY TICKET INFORMATION

From the SUFC Official site:

Tickets for Blues' trip to Barnsley on Saturday will come off sale from the Blues Box Office on Friday at midday.
We have been allocated an initial amount of 500 tickets which are situated in the Palmer Cons, North Stand.

Matchday prices are below - please note there is a £2 increase on the day and ages 12-18 and under 12 tickets are not available on the day so these need to be purchased from us before 12 noon.

Prices:

Age Category
Advanced Prices
Matchday Prices

Adult
£23.00
£25.00
65 and over
£16.00
£18.00
Young Adult (19-21)
£16.00
£18.00
12-18**
£10.00
N/A
Under 12 **

£5.00
N/A

We have been allocated nine pairs of wheelchair and carer tickets, wheelchair and ambulant tickets are charged at the age relevant price and are provided with a free carer ticket if required.

**Please note that on the day sales at the game will be decided nearer to the fixture date, however, please note that if tickets are made available on the day of the game Junior 12-18 and Under 12 tickets will NOT be available on the day of the game and must be purchased in advance from Southend United.

Purchase tickets for the game from the Blues Box Office, Online or by calling 08444 770077

Last edited:
WHAT’S IT LIKE FOR AWAY FANS

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/oakwell-barnsley.html#awhat-is-it-like-for-visiting-supporters

Away fans are housed in the modern North Stand, where the facilities and view of the playing action are generally good. The concourse is of a fair size and has access to an open air area if fans need to smoke. The normal allocation for away supporters is 2,000 tickets and fans are normally housed on one side of this stand on the East side. If demand requires it, then the whole of this stand can be allocated, increasing the number of tickets available to 4,700. The acoustics of the stand are not bad meaning that visiting fans can really make some noise.

I found this club to be particularly friendly from the car park attendant to the programme seller. Even the P.A. announcer had a sense of humour (although a little optimistic), when he announced that perhaps the visiting fans would like to come up again to see the next Barnsley home game, so that we could see a decent game of football!

However, I have reports of fans getting hassle in the town centre. Although I’ve never personally had any problems at Oakwell, it may be advisable to keep colours covered especially around the town centre.

London-Sheffield rtn now £42. Return Sheff-Barnsley is about £5.60

The TZ Travel service to
Barnsley
Kick off 3-00 pm SATURDAY 3RD November 2018

Prices set at ONLY £25 per seat. Family Saver for this one £40 Adult 1 Child u16

SEAT AVAILABILITY: Seats Available

Our usual high class service as always, Free Drinks, Goodies and games included.

It's easy T-Ze to book a seat and you can either PM me here on ShrimperZone; alternatively Text or Call on the T Z Zone Phone hotline on:

075811-45056

Please see the Terms and Conditions of Travel in our TravelZone Section.

DEPARTURE TIMES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Kent Elms 7-25

Bell Corner 7-30

Blue Boar 7-35

Odeon/ Sainsburys 7-38

Palace Theatre 7:43

The Elms PH.....Bus stop 7:59

Hadleigh ...London Rd (top of Woodfield Rd) 8:04

Tarpots Bus stop nearest Saddlers Farm 8:15

Pitsea,opposite Aldi bus stop. 8:20

Watermill Bus stop...
Eastmayne, opposite Longmans Motors 8:25

Fortune of War 8:30

This was mentioned on another thread which I now can't find but train strikes on Saturday on some routes to Barnsley (and routes that I found that are running are £100 each way) but I've had refunds agreed for my train and match tickets. Worth knowing if you are in a similar situation.

AFAIK there are no planned strikes on East Midlands Trains - however Northern Rail which run the Sheffield to Barnsley service has issued the following which might help!

The RMT announced a total of 12 days of planned strikes on consecutive Saturdays – 25 August, 1 September, 8 September, 15 September, 22 September, 29 September, 6 October, 13 October, 20 October, 27 October, 3 November and 10 November – which will impact on our services.

This Saturday, 3 November - the 11th consecutive Saturday of RMT strike action - we will be operating a reduced timetable with very few trains running before 9am and after 6pm.

We expect to run around 30% of services and all customers are advised to plan carefully if they intend to travel on the rail network.

Unfortunately, on some routes, we aren't able to run services, while others have a limited service. On those routes where we are able to operate trains, we expect all services to be extremely busy. We also have replacement bus services available on some routes where trains aren’t running.

On Sunday there will be planned cancellations on a small minority of routes, primarily in the north west, and again customers should check up to the last minute before travelling.

Our priority during a strike is to keep you informed and on the move. At any time you can keep up-to-date by following us on social media:

Happy to take any questions re local travel as this is a very local fixture for me! There are trains from Sheffield from 12.45 13.45 and the journey is about 25 minutes - the ground is about 10-15 minutes walk from the station. I plan to get the 13.45 and then walk to the ground

Last edited:
AFAIK there are no planned strikes on East Midlands Trains - however Northern Rail which run the Sheffield to Barnsley service has issued the following which might help!

The RMT announced a total of 12 days of planned strikes on consecutive Saturdays – 25 August, 1 September, 8 September, 15 September, 22 September, 29 September, 6 October, 13 October, 20 October, 27 October, 3 November and 10 November – which will impact on our services.

This Saturday, 3 November - the 11th consecutive Saturday of RMT strike action - we will be operating a reduced timetable with very few trains running before 9am and after 6pm.

We expect to run around 30% of services and all customers are advised to plan carefully if they intend to travel on the rail network.

Unfortunately, on some routes, we aren't able to run services, while others have a limited service. On those routes where we are able to operate trains, we expect all services to be extremely busy. We also have replacement bus services available on some routes where trains aren’t running.

On Sunday there will be planned cancellations on a small minority of routes, primarily in the north west, and again customers should check up to the last minute before travelling.

Our priority during a strike is to keep you informed and on the move. At any time you can keep up-to-date by following us on social media:

Happy to take any questions re local travel as this is a very local fixture for me! There are trains from Sheffield from 12.45 13.45 and the journey is about 25 minutes - the ground is about 10-15 minutes walk from the station. I plan to get the 13.45 and then walk to the ground
Thanks. I'd booked with Northern which cost me about £55 three months ago. Switching a week before is way expensive so I just got a refund. That's privatisation for you - pick one provider and if they can't provide then you'll need a mortgage to use another provider!

Have only booked London to Sheffield, there's six of us so worst comes to the worst we'll get a cab from Sheffield, should only be a few quid each.

Shaping up to be the biggest ballache of a journey. Rail replacement buses on the line into London and a strike on Northern Rail.

All for a 2-0 defeat.

One other option is to get the GNER line out of Kings X and go to either Donny or Wakefield and then get one to Barnsley from there.

However yes a cab from Sheffield station would be about £40-£50 I would say provided they didn't go the long way round and weren't caught up in traffic at the Dodworth roundabout!

Back