• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kightly announces retirement from professional football

I heard he's just signed a 3 year deal with FC Pune City and he's taking Dieng to carry his bags for him

Whilst undoubtedly his high wages could be spent better, I don’t get the huge dislike and poking of fun towards Kightly. In his first season back he got a respectable six goals and whilst last season he struggled, he still regularly managed to get involved in turning points in games. I don’t believe he’s not put the effort in and from his reactions, he clearly does care about what happens to the club. Maybe it’s just his body that is slowly but surely giving in to the rigours of League 1? So how about rather than the vitriol, we say thank you and goodbye?
Charlton at home springs to mind.

I don't think people are poking fun at Kightly or necessarily dislike him. Just massively disappointed that for whatever reason he turned out to be very poor acquisition. He wasn't great in the first season back, and last season was just awful for him. Retirement is probably best for all concerned, he clearly hasn't got the legs and/or desire to carry on playing football.

Has he ever played a full 90 mins for us in the last 2 seasons?

I genuinely think most people have had the right levels of respect for Kightly as a player and really wanted him to do well - certainly better than he has done since returning.

We’ve had far worse servants at this football club. But... for the last couple of years, it’s been clear that we haven’t been getting the required return on the big investment we’ve made in him. That was a problem that was holding us back and it’s now resolved, so this has to be good news for us as a club. I can imagine it’s probably not good news for Kightly though and is more forced realisation than intended. Wish him well.

Injury was always going to be a concern, when you sign someone like MK, maybe he had a clause in his contract that he only gets full pay on certain number of games, too many guesses on this site rather than facts

Wish him well, proved a drop down the leagues can make you stronger and a better player in the future

Nothing against the bloke, wish him well, just a shame we never saw the player he obviously was in the years between leaving us and re-joining. Has to join the list including the likes of Freddie & Barnard who should never have come back.

Remember his first game back for us as a season opener against Blackburn, where he ripped them a new one. He still had the ability to scare the life out of some defences, and was still influential on the pitch.

I am gutted for him that it hasn't worked out as he would have expected, but there is no doubt he was on huge wages for a club of our size and freeing wages up was a must this season. Wish him all the best, whether he's retiring or moving on.

I wish him well, at the end of the day it wasn't his fault that he was on high wages, the club gave him the deal. Obviously with last season being so poor all round it is important that we get new players in and freeing up his wages will help with that.

Shame it's worked out like this really. Had all the pointers of a great signing when he came back but just hasn't worked out.

Classy of him to retire given that he could have sat on the bench and earnt serious money for another year. Surprised he didn't have another offer elsewhere but you never know what injuries or personal circumstances may have swayed the decision. This seems best for all parties and can only wish him well.

Yeah, he could have dossed around for another year and got paid so fair play

The money this potentially frees up though could genuinely be the difference for us making a play off push or not

Yeah, he could have dossed around for another year and got paid so fair play

The money this potentially frees up though could genuinely be the difference for us making a play off push or not

Quite possibly, or it may just cover the costs of our three latest recruits if Kightly's decision was already known privately.

Won the penalty that helped us get back into the game at Portsmouth - how important that point turned out to be!!

I won't slag him off like others on here and certainly don't believe he never tried.

I said all last season our squad fitness looked poor and this probably affected the midfielders more, and certainly wouldn't have helped the likes of Kightly.

Even McL struggled most of the season!
Never mind the point at Portsmouth how about the win against Burton? It was his cross from a free kick that Dieng got on the end of to put us 3-1 up, if we hadn't won that match then we'd be down.

Like most reasonable supporters I have been disappointed with the overall performance of Mr Kightly since re-joining us. However I am also disappointed with some of the remarks directed to a professional football player who attempted to reach the same heights as before, without success. I for one would like to offer my thanks for his efforts and to wish him the best in any future career

At least he hasn't spent the last year posting crap on social media and knocking the fans like some ex-players. You know, the ones who might end up at Lincoln, play for 2 games and go off injured again for a season (or two)

:Smile2::Cool:

Back