• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Maher

Kev Maher and Joe Dunne, two tough football characters, but honest guys who will do a great job for the Gas. Graham Coughlan is recruiting people he knows well from his days in the Republic of Ireland and in Essex.

We'll see him back again I am sure and indeed, hope.

Wish you all the best Kev, you are as big a club legend as it is possible to be.

The funny world of football. Plenty of you wanted every coach sacked as late as about the 86th minute v Sunderland.

Maher the legend.....The Southends best ever wrongly targeted player, by idiots claiming to be supporters.

I've got a feeling KB's going to regret not appointing him as first team coach well before the end of the season.

I know Tilly proves me wrong but in general it is better to move when promoted. Not just in football but in other jobs that have similar group dynamics such as the Fire Brigade.

It worked for Coughlan.

I know Tilly proves me wrong but in general it is better to move when promoted. Not just in football but in other jobs that have similar group dynamics such as the Fire Brigade.

It worked for Coughlan.

You may well be right.I'd certainly expect Brizzle to finish up higher than us this season. Which will make Kev's departure even harder to take.

You may well be right.I'd certainly expect Brizzle to finish up higher than us this season. Which will make Kev's departure even harder to take.

If you have been promoted internally then some players will never respect you.

Somebody said KM was doing all the shouting v Shrewsbury......The players certainly didn't respond because we never managed a shot on goal.

When i was at Billericay a couple of years ago and watched Nile Ranger limp off after his goal. Or Jack Bridge signalling a few times that he wanted to come off amongst other going on.......You could see that they were taking the p out of Maher and I told everyone two names that would be lucky to still be at the club by January.

It worked for Coughlan.

So the higher you go up the ladder the more your arse is exposed. Is that what you meant @rigsby ?

He'll be back for his testimonial :Tumbleweed:.

Seriously though, legend for me. From the dark days when he was booed by the crowd weekly to the glory promotions where he was cheered weekly.

KEVIN Maher will never forget the ‘perfect day’ he lifted the League One winning trophy for Southend United.

More...

KEVIN Maher will never forget the ‘perfect day’ he lifted the League One winning trophy for Southend United.

The legendary Shrimpers midfielder skippered Steve Tilson’s side to the title in the 2005/06 season.

And for Maher it meant a complete transformation in fortunes having endured a tough start with the club.
“Having been at the club for as long as I had been I’d seen some bad times and been through a lot at the club myself so that day we won the title made everything worthwhile,” said Maher.

“The mood around the stadium was great and it was just such a brilliant group of players to be involved with as well.
“It was a brilliant occasion and to finish off with a win at home to win the League was perfect really.”
Maher went on to make 454 appearances for the Shrimpers.

But beating Bristol City, on this day in 2006, is right up there with the most memorable Maher enjoyed during his lengthy stint at Roots Hall.

“There was a chance Colchester could have pipped us if we lost but it was important we won,” said Maher.

“Promotion was brilliant but you want to win trophies and to lift the trophy was brilliant.

“I was asked to pick my 10 games for Southend recently and this was the first one I thought of.”

Wayne Gray bagged the only goal of the game after great work from Maher in the centre park.

And Maher was thrilled to see Gray get on the score-sheet.

“Wayne came off the bench and he did brilliantly all season,” said Maher.

“Him, Freddy (Eastwood), Goats (Shaun Goater) and James Lawson all played a part.

“But Wayne was a great lad and an important member of the squad.

“To score late on and the main thing was we won it.

“The game itself wasn’t that memorable but we were just desperate to win it so that’s all that mattered.”

And Maher was also able to reveal why the Shrimpers took to the field in their white away kit at Roots Hall.

“I think it was because the lads threw their shirts into the crowd at Swansea the week before, said Maher.

“We only ever had one shirt and we washed our own kit back then too!”

Back