• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Blackpool FC 2-1 Southend Utd

Very hard to tell if it was a pen from that, looks like Ox knocks the ball away before the guy goes down but who knows. One things for certain when a keeper dives at a forwards feet, the forward is going to make sure he creates contact to justify going down, they all do it, and 99% of the time the ref’s buy it and give a pen. Sadly it means keepers just can’t do that in the area. It needs looking at because it’s making it impossible for keepers to do their job.
Kinda...
If the ball takes a different route, then it's clear the keeper has touched it first.
Anything else, and the arm is going to impede the outfield player and as you say, gives the ref little choice.

I think we would have been pretty unhappy if it had been at the other end and a pen wasn't given.

I think we would have been pretty unhappy if it had been at the other end and a pen wasn't given.

I think it was more to do with the fact that the officials got so many basic decisions wrong. A clear corner when a McL cross ballooned off the defender, Elvis defending well and shielding a ball out for a goal kick only for the lino to flag for a corner. A shot by us blocked with a hand but the pen not given..etc......Not just cheap free kicks or throws but bad decisions in vital areas.

There's an awful lot of hobbyhorse riding going on in this thread.

I haven't seen the goal yet but apparently it was Oxley/Dieng/Bwomono/Milligan's fault depending upon which one you don't rate and have been knocking constantly for the last year.

There's an awful lot of hobbyhorse riding going on in this thread.

I haven't seen the goal yet but apparently it was Oxley/Dieng/Bwomono/Milligan's fault depending upon which one you don't rate and have been knocking constantly for the last year.

I'm sure you will blame PB :Whistling:

You must have looked at Milligan really closely because you haven't noticed Dieng.

Elvis read the game well for a player that can't defend (according to some) and covered a couple of those type of balls in the first half. Dieng doesn't come across quick enough and when he does, its the same as one of his midfield tackles.....He is there but nothing ever happens

Dieng also done his best to avoid the man we all knew was the biggest danger....Yet Oxley gets the blame for the first

Milligan should have been goal side.

He wasn’t.

He should have dispossessed 7 and he didn’t.

He then missed a second opportunity.

Just totally pathetic but par for the course with him.

By the way, You’re spot on about Dieng but that just makes the ex captain of Australia a bigger w***er.

......and Campbell makes Dieng captain?!?.........

Milligan should have been goal side.

He wasn’t.

He should have dispossessed 7 and he didn’t.

He then missed a second opportunity.

Just totally pathetic but par for the course with him.

By the way, You’re spot on about Dieng but that just makes the ex captain of Australia a bigger w***er.

......and Campbell makes Dieng captain?!?.........

Milligan did get goal side, he even slide and stopped their lad from shooting to the point where he was facing away from goal.

Dieng should have covered the first ball over the top but failing that he certainly needed to do something in the box.

I know you hate Milligan and Sol because he is not AB but you cant just invent evidence to fit your view.

You moaned about the set up but with Humphrys injured he has no choice. The only reason he has made Dieng captain is because other senior pros were causing deliberate and self serving problems in the dressing room......Sol inherited a s*** show and at least has had the balls to do what so many of us wanted.

Time for some fans to stop acting like Rob Kiernan and Simon Cox because Sol is certainly not beneath us and a bit more of what happened at home to Lincoln will do us all the world of good.

Milligan did get goal side, he even slide and stopped their lad from shooting to the point where he was facing away from goal.

Dieng should have covered the first ball over the top but failing that he certainly needed to do something in the box.

I know you hate Milligan and Sol because he is not AB but you cant just invent evidence to fit your view.

You moaned about the set up but with Humphrys injured he has no choice. The only reason he has made Dieng captain is because other senior pros were causing deliberate and self serving problems in the dressing room......Sol inherited a s*** show and at least has had the balls to do what so many of us wanted.

Time for some fans to stop acting like Rob Kiernan and Simon Cox because Sol is certainly not beneath us and a bit more of what happened at home to Lincoln will do us all the world of good.

I moaned about the set up in the first half (and most of the time since Sol took over).

Do you also disagree that we were set up far more positively in the second half?

I moaned about the set up in the first half (and most of the time since Sol took over).

Do you also disagree that we were set up far more positively in the second half?

I never buy into the "We set up not to lose" theory......Because that is exactly how you win games...Not by being 2-0 down after 20 minutes.

At 0-0 McL had a great chance (not on highlights) but had a shocker of a touch and then failed to hit the target. Barratt had any easy chance to slip us in but like the rest of his 45 he was far to casual and passed straight to them. We were denied 2 clear corners and they had not had shot on target.

Then another bit of sloppy play deep in their half by Barratt, meant we were stretched and they scored on the counter attack......So no we were not negative in the first 45 but if you are one of those fans that look at a team sheet and decide its only one up front and believe in football myths then that is exactly what you will see.

Even the penalty was won from a counter attack.....No one mentions those when they claim the best form of defence is to attack.....No the best form of defence is good defenders. A CB who likes to spoil a target mans day.....Like Turner did to Tom Eaves when we beat Gills 3 times in a row. Then you need another CB who will cover the long clearance down the pitch, especially when its fresh legs against agains a CM.

One thing we could both agree on was why is Mantom on set pieces when Hutch is on the pitch. His free kick was 8ft over the bar and his pathetic 2 step corners weren't capable of clearing you know who at the near post.

Plus Matt Rush had a good little spell. I have always liked his attitude from his early youth days. He is in CK's shadow but one to keep an eye on.

We had a good 2/3 chances to go in ahead at half time. In my humble opinion, there was nothing wrong with how Sol set the team up to start vs Blackpool. We started slowly but when we got into the game we matched them, even finished the first half as arguably the better team. We certainly weren't outfought, we were undone ultimately by our inability to deal with Gnanduillet and Delfouneso (when he came on). But then, we didn't have natural CB's.
Milligan? If you were at Lincoln or Blackpool you'll have seen he has performed well - but I appreciate, he's an easy scapegoat as he hasn't had the best start in an SUFC shirt.

I think people forget how shockingly poor we were earlier in the season with certain players going through the motions...making individual mistakes all over the pitch and not even trying in some cases. THAT is unforgivable.

What we've seen recently is a group of players united, playing as a team, trying to build something in pretty bad circumstances (no incoming players, injuries (again), one of our best pros sold to Lincoln, fielding kids as we've basically had no choice). We're giving teams a game and competing. Yet still, certain people can't help but criticize. What was encouraging and nice to see at Bloomfield Rd wasn't just the players coming over to applaud the fans but the excellent response they received back. Because they could see we cared and because they cared. Unlike some other wasters who we've happily now seen the last of.

Last edited:
We had a good 2/3 chances to go in ahead at half time. In my humble opinion, there was nothing wrong with how Sol set the team up to start vs Blackpool. We started slowly but when we got into the game we matched them, even finished the first half as arguably the better team. We certainly weren't outfought, we were undone ultimately by our inability to deal with Gnanduillet and Delfouneso (when he came on). But then, we didn't have natural CB's.
Milligan? If you were at Lincoln or Blackpool you'll have seen he has performed well - but I appreciate, he's an easy scapegoat as he hasn't had the best start in an SUFC shirt.

I think people forget how shockingly poor we were earlier in the season with certain players going through the motions...making individual mistakes all over the pitch and not even trying in some cases. THAT is unforgivable.

What we've seen recently is a group of players united, playing as a team, trying to build something in pretty bad circumstances (no incoming players, injuries (again), one of our best pros sold to Lincoln, fielding kids as we've basically had no choice). We're giving teams a game and competing. Yet still, certain people can't help but criticize. What was encouraging and nice to see at Bloomfield Rd wasn't just the players coming over to applaud the fans but the excellent response they received back. Because they could see we cared and because they cared. Unlike some other wasters who we've happily now seen the last of.

Football is a game of opinions.

Mine is that Blackpool will be delighted that we set up negatively in the first half so that they could get their confidence back and win their first game in ten matches.

As for Milligan, if you’re at Posh tonight count how many times he plays a sideways or backwards pass compared to a forward pass.......and try counting the number of tackles he wins.

Football is a game of opinions.

Mine is that Blackpool will be delighted that we set up negatively in the first half so that they could get their confidence back and win their first game in ten matches.

As for Milligan, if you’re at Posh tonight count how many times he plays a sideways or backwards pass compared to a forward pass.......and try counting the number of tackles he wins.
I’m not there tonight, but if he plays like he did in the last two games I’ll be happy. Yes, he’s played badly in previous games but not the last two. You’ve clearly made your mind up about him.

Ok I wasn’t at Doncaster, so can comment only on Lincoln/Blackpool. I agree he’s been poor in some other games before that. He surprised me with the two performances I mentioned. How did he play tonight?
Maybe ask that question on the post match thread?

Back