• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to The Metro, a couple of offices in Canary Wharf have been put into lockdown, as a worker there started displaying symptoms.
Yeah seems they are taking no chances

Yeah seems they are taking no chances

Legally, I’m not sure how many chances a business can take.

I’d have thought that if there’s a genuine risk to life - regardless how small - they can’t take any chances. It wouldn’t be worth the potential recourse or bad press & lawsuits.

Legally, I’m not sure how many chances a business can take.

I’d have thought that if there’s a genuine risk to life - regardless how small - they can’t take any chances. It wouldn’t be worth the potential recourse or bad press & lawsuits.
Yes you are right.If someone lost their life or became seriously ill then lawsuits etc would happen

Lucky there isn’t a war on.. you know Things are bad when Phillip schofield is starting to seem tough

I imagine in a few weeks or months a vaccine will become available, those at risk will have the jab (thank god for the NHS), and sanity will be restored to the world.

My wife's friends daughter has serious asthma and has a trip to Italy coming up. She was told she'll be fine. Good old media, whipping us all up into like its the end of days.
a vaccine is a lot longer than a few weeks away. The main concern is that the virus mutates, which renders a lot of the R&D work useless and we're back to square one and fighting a potentially more serious strain of the virus.

COVID-19 is a 'relative' of SARs and influenza. People should be genuinely worried not just about the immediate impact that COVID-19 could have, but in general the impact of new virus strains that are around the corner. Pharma companies (and the academic community in general) don't have a direct incentive to be massively investing in the research and development of both vaccines and treatments for the viruses, because it's uncertain if they'll be needed - so the global community and governments need to come up with some systems and processes to tackle this problem, as it's not going away and you clearly can't hide from it.

Now that Wales have had their first case,I bet the sheep are getting worried

Might stop buying lamb now till its over

a vaccine is a lot longer than a few weeks away. The main concern is that the virus mutates, which renders a lot of the R&D work useless and we're back to square one and fighting a potentially more serious strain of the virus.

COVID-19 is a 'relative' of SARs and influenza. People should be genuinely worried not just about the immediate impact that COVID-19 could have, but in general the impact of new virus strains that are around the corner. Pharma companies (and the academic community in general) don't have a direct incentive to be massively investing in the research and development of both vaccines and treatments for the viruses, because it's uncertain if they'll be needed - so the global community and governments need to come up with some systems and processes to tackle this problem, as it's not going away and you clearly can't hide from it.
Pharmacutical companies are doing NOTHING to research this, they are leaving it all up to WHO and Universities as there is no money in it for them to make.
Once a vaccine is found THEN they will produce it for much profit.
Capitalism at its worse and also shows impact of small, just manufacture, no research, copyright infringing firms and countries.

I imagine in a few weeks or months a vaccine will become available, those at risk will have the jab (thank god for the NHS), and sanity will be restored to the world.

My wife's friends daughter has serious asthma and has a trip to Italy coming up. She was told she'll be fine. Good old media, whipping us all up into like its the end of days.
It's not the end of days, but this is serious. Global stock markets have just crashed which will have a potential big impact on the economy, irrespective of any ill heath from the disease itself.

I don't know how someone can say ''she'll be fine'' with any degree of certainty at the moment. Who knows how many cases Italy will have in a weeks time? This is very fast moving.

Conflicting experts, Ggrrr. Last week one said the only masks that will protect you are the ones with respirators and a filtration system. Making all those other ones useless that are common.
Another expert has just said surgical type masks are better, without the respirator and filtration system.

Pharmacutical companies are doing NOTHING to research this, they are leaving it all up to WHO and Universities as there is no money in it for them to make.
Once a vaccine is found THEN they will produce it for much profit.
Capitalism at its worse and also shows impact of small, just manufacture, no research, copyright infringing firms and countries.
rubbish - I've literally spoken to two pharma companies this week, one are putting a project on hold as they're freeing up their team to move onto some COVID-19 vaccine research. Another are putting an existing product for a different virus to trial for COVID-19 treatment.

I can't talk about any specifics, but there is a lot that's being done inside pharma on COVID-19, but then I also don't think we are necessarily disagreeing - I clearly said that leaving this to the private market won't work. The uncertain return from all the R&D just doesn't make financial sense, which is why it needs centralised government funding, but even then a publicly developed vaccine will require pharma to trial, license, manufacture and distribute... these are difficult and expensive processes to do at speed and going through pharma is the best way to achieve a quick vaccine on the market.

rubbish - I've literally spoken to two pharma companies this week, one are putting a project on hold as they're freeing up their team to move onto some COVID-19 vaccine research. Another are putting an existing product for a different virus to trial for COVID-19 treatment.

I can't talk about any specifics, but there is a lot that's being done inside pharma on COVID-19, but then I also don't think we are necessarily disagreeing - I clearly said that leaving this to the private market won't work. The uncertain return from all the R&D just doesn't make financial sense, which is why it needs centralised government funding, but even then a publicly developed vaccine will require pharma to trial, license, manufacture and distribute... these are difficult and expensive processes to do at speed and going through pharma is the best way to achieve a quick vaccine on the market.

what we need is some sort of pharmaceutical industry agency, at a continental level for approving. https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/about-us/brexit-united-kingdoms-withdrawal-european-union

Pubey, you are citing two incidents which pharma companies are to do some time, maybe, IN THE FUTURE so at present they are thinking about it?
They would be unlikely to openly declare a "sit and wait" policy?
How does that make my post rubbish?
It is about money and trialing any parallel drug is a cost effective use.
Please try and be factual and at present what do your contacts tell you IS happening, or they have done, in the several weeks so far, or would that be not a lot and left it for the WHO and Uni research?
And it is unusual for you to be rude? Bad Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back