• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Frontline update

An example of the knock on effect is this morning a woman was rescued from a fire in East London. She had 40% burns and smoke inhalation. The ambulance crew and the HEMS (helicopter from the London Hospital) were arguing. The HEMS did not want to take her as she would block a bed and need a ventilator and that that she would not survive. They wanted to make her comfortable with drugs but let her die.

The ambulance crew won in the end so they did take her. Obviously none of the the ambulance and fire crews are comfortable with such events but these are the decisions someone will have to take. I guess the Doctor from HEMS felt that is the decision they would make in the current A&E department so why not now on the ground.

This is not form rumour but from 2 Firefighters who attended the fire. Tough times for our boys and girls on the frontline....Keep up the good work leebblue you all have a long way to go.

Hi as some may know I'm the resident A&E nurse here. Just a little word on how things have been in southend A&E. Slow trickle first week and a bit especially as social distancing became a thing...then lockdown. Largely the department was empty to be completely honest. This gave the hospital in general the opportunity to empty out also. Thus giving us the capacity for what was to come.
Over the last week the numbers have really increased. As well as the number of ventilated patients increasing dramatically. ITU for example is full..11 beds. We are now ventilating patients in post op recovery...full now I believe and now into anaesthetic rooms and operating theatres. People are dying..but also people are coming off ventilators and recovering too. I had to nurse a colleague in resus yesterday and then ventilate them...horrible

Thank you for what you do.

Cheers guys. Been working I'll get to some of the questions.
On the protective gear...in my opinion its rubbish. If you are in what we call hot majors...you get an apron...literally a carrier bag that covers your abdomen...double gloves and a mask.
If however you are in hot resus you get the full gear. Its ridiculous and I'll tell you now it's about cost and supplies....joke of a situation.
As for my colleague who is on a ventilator I personally nursed him for 3 hours hours in resus before ventilating him...heartbreaking day to say the least.
Please stay indoors you lot..stop the spread x x
Oh I'm a season ticket holder in the west btw x
The club kindly thanked me on their facebook page the other day too which was nice.

Lee, I think we're more worried about you mate. I'm hearing there are now 27 A&E staff at Southend Hospital, gone down with the virus. It's truly shocking that you aren't always wearing the full PPE needed to keep you safe. I'm sure we all hope you get the right equipment, and that you stay healthy.

Lee, I think we're more worried about you mate. I'm hearing there are now 27 A&E staff at Southend Hospital, gone down with the virus. It's truly shocking that you aren't always wearing the full PPE needed to keep you safe. I'm sure we all hope you get the right equipment, and that you stay healthy.

Confirmed from the Echo.
A host of nurses at Southend Hospital are sick and battling coronavirus symptoms, according to reports.

It is believed that 27 nurses working at the hospital's accident and emergency department have been struck down with the symptoms.

According to BBC Essex, some of the nurses have now been admitted to the hospital as patients.

It comes just a day after the Echo reported that a Southend Hospital nurse is in intensive care after having tested positive for coronavirus.

It is understood they are being treated using a ventilator in an intensive care unit.

Back