• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend only news.

Tend to use the Ashiana in Southchurch Road these days for my 'sit ins' as they have a bit of a different menu to most Indian restaurants but I use Gulshan for takeaways and they are still very good, portions normally too much for me to manage in one sitting these days but quality is still good.
I also go to Ashiana for sit ins. How I miss it. Banqueting deal and a few Cobras cannot be beaten.

There seemed to be much fewer bin men out working on the wagons this morning. These guys have been at the front thru this.
They are fit and certainly get the job done as quick as possible.
I hope those missing today are taking well earned holiday time and not gone Covid.

A job that gets missed when people are giving appreciation to the key workers. With the amount of extra ‘projects’ people are doing whilst at home is creating more waste. Due to recycling centres not being open either the bins and recycling bins are getting fuller. I don’t know about Southend but Braintree aren’t taking Garden waste. Some councils are still taking that and they will be even heavier than usual with people taking on their garden.

Hats off to them, it’s an tough job at the best of times must be even tougher now.

A job that gets missed when people are giving appreciation to the key workers. With the amount of extra ‘projects’ people are doing whilst at home is creating more waste. Due to recycling centres not being open either the bins and recycling bins are getting fuller. I don’t know about Southend but Braintree aren’t taking Garden waste. Some councils are still taking that and they will be even heavier than usual with people taking on their garden.

Hats off to them, it’s an tough job at the best of times must be even tougher now.
Southend, via Veolia, are still collecting garden waste provided you have paid for the privilege. Both recycling sites are shut.

Southend, via Veolia, are still collecting garden waste provided you have paid for the privilege. Both recycling sites are shut.

Probably why they’re collecting. Ours is free and isn’t being collected, so my garden projects have taken a back seat.

There seemed to be much fewer bin men out working on the wagons this morning. These guys have been at the front thru this.
They are fit and certainly get the job done as quick as possible.
I hope those missing today are taking well earned holiday time and not gone Covid.

During the last month, i've walked or run past them in Leigh 4-5 times. Most of these times there were about 5 of them sitting in the front, none of them wearing masks.
Appreciate it's down to the individual, but did find it odd.

During the last month, i've walked or run past them in Leigh 4-5 times. Most of these times there were about 5 of them sitting in the front, none of them wearing masks.
Appreciate it's down to the individual, but did find it odd.
I have seen the same, but what real choice do they have? they have to share the truck out from depot etc; and they get clothing and gloves but did they get masks early enough into this?
Thankfully most seem young and fit so they ought to be out/free of the worse case scenarios BUT their families etc might be also at risk unless they can isolate.

Southend hospital 298 confirmed CV19 cases , and unfortunately 196 CV19 related deaths, condolences to every one of their family and friends. May they rest in peace and rise in glory

Southend hospital 298 confirmed CV19 cases , and unfortunately 196 CV19 related deaths, condolences to every one of their family and friends. May they rest in peace and rise in glory
Them stats are somewhat worrying,
RIP to all.

Them stats are somewhat worrying,
RIP to all.

A high percentage and its why people are advised to stay indoors, where possible! There is a website where you can see how many have passed away in your political ward, most are only in single figures, at the moment.

Just catching up on the the series 'Chernobyl' on TV. Googling the fate of those stationed in and fighting the disaster in a nuclear power station and being exposed to enormous levels of radiation I was struck by the survival rates being higher than for those entering hospital with Covid 19 with a number still alive to this day. For balance... I've seen overall mortality rates quoted for Covid 19 between 0.1 and 1 % but when it goes wrong boy does it go wrong.

Last edited:
Just catching up on the the series 'Chernobyl' on TV. Googling the fate of those stationed in and fighting the disaster in a nuclear power station and being exposed to enormous levels of radiation I was struck by the survival rates being higher than for those entering hospital with Covid 19 with a number still alive to this day. For balance... I've seen overall mortality rates quoted for Covid 19 between 0.1 and 1 % but when it goes wrong boy does it go wrong.

What particularly struck me about reading Chernobyl, (the book on which the TV series was based) was how many people later wanted to move back to the area, when it was still radioactive.

(The R (not the same as the mortality rate,obviously,) rate in the UK was 4 before the lockdown whereas in most of Western Europe it was 3).

What particularly struck me about reading Chernobyl, (the book on which the TV series was based) was how many people later wanted to move back to the area, when it was still radioactive.

(The R (not the same as the mortality rate,obviously,) rate in the UK was 4 before the lockdown whereas in most of Western Europe it was 3).

Didn't know that about the R rate. Do we gather in groups more in general than the rest of Europe maybe ? Pub culture ? lots of sport ? cultural events ? higher concentration of people ? When this is all over there is going to be fascinating stuff for the academics to pour over. In the meantime... its just deeply unpleasant.

Sorry.. this is probably in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
Didn't know that about the R rate. Do we gather in groups more in general than the rest of Europe maybe ? Pub culture ? lots of sport ? cultural events ? higher concentration of people ? When this is all over there is going to be fascinating stuff for the academics to pour over. In the meantime... its just deeply unpleasant.

Sorry.. this is probably in the wrong thread.

The R rate (as Pubey and others are are better placed to inform you) is the rate at which the virus( if left unchecked) spreads from one person to another. Certainly there was quite a lot of talk in the UK media about the decision to allow the Cheltenham races plus Liverpool v A.Madrid Champions League game to go ahead just before the UK lockdown was imposed.

One other thing about that Chernobyl book I remember was that the emergency wokers (fire-fighters etc) who went up on the roof of the reactor when it first exploded, weren't adequtely equipped with footwear etc and subsequently were among the first to die horribly of radiation sickness.The parallels with NHS workers and the lack of adequate PPE are obvious and as you say there are lessons to be learnt when all this is over.

Would agree that it's probably not the right thread,either.Sorry.

Was it Rossi ice cream that they were eating?. If so I'm coming down tomorrow ,missing my Rossi during this lockdown.

Rossi is being refurbished.

Presumably more comfy seats for the pensioners who make a cup of tea last 6 hours.

What is also forgotten is that people in the UK are still dying as a result of the fall out which covered the country.Another man made disaster where misinformation and denial caused deaths away from the origin.Remember the belated shut all windows and stay indoors message when the leak was admitted.

Phillip Miller's at it again. Despite the council saying the seafront is closed, and all the signs saying Southend closed, go home, and despite the officers patrolling the seafront and asking why people are down the seafront, and despite the seafront car parks and parking bays being closed, as someone else pointed out in the Echo comments, Phillip Miller has opened up some of his eateries, and announced they are open for business. Unbelievable, especially as they are trying to keep everyone away from the seafront. This sends out the opposite message and it could be mobbed down there the next hot and sunny weekend.

Phillip Miller's at it again. Despite the council saying the seafront is closed, and all the signs saying Southend closed, go home, and despite the officers patrolling the seafront and asking why people are down the seafront, and despite the seafront car parks and parking bays being closed, as someone else pointed out in the Echo comments, Phillip Miller has opened up some of his eateries, and announced they are open for business. Unbelievable, especially as they are trying to keep everyone away from the seafront. This sends out the opposite message and it could be mobbed down there the next hot and sunny weekend.

Probably got to pay somehow, for all the work going on in his little house in Wakering

Back