• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite. You don't see supermarket staff, warehouse workers, delivery drivers, NHS staff etc. complaining and refusing to work. Why do teachers think they're so special? There's definitely a class element here - middle-class lefties in comfortable jobs happy for the working class to deliver the stuff they're buying online but don't want to go back to work themselves until every little risk is eliminated. And it's kids from less well-off backgrounds who will suffer most from schools being closed.

I say reopen schools in June but make it optional. Kids with parent(s) who need to go back to work or just want to get rid of the kids can send them to school, those parents who don't want to - either through fear or having vulnerable family members - can carry on home schooling. That way you'll naturally get better social distancing as there'll be fewer kids than normal in school.

Either way, the government blah blah [politics remoced]
None of those people you mention are actually responsible for the welfare of children.....As for your comment "people who just want to get rid of the kids can send them to school...." I'm speechless.

This thread is starting to resemble twitter, sniping back and forth. Think we can all agree that we want everyone to be as safe as possible .. parents, kids, all frontline workers. Let’s just pray there’s no second spike, so we have to reset back to March. My neighbours aren’t too worried clearly, judging by the gathering they had last night that lasted till 2am with several “new” voices heard. And yes they are NHS clappers with the obligatory rainbow sign in the front window.

As for your comment "people who just want to get rid of the kids can send them to school...." I'm speechless.

Sadly, this did happen at the outset of the current crisis. A very close teacher friend of ours said that when lockdown was first implemented and children of keyworkers only were to still attend school, on the first day they had 86 pupils turn up. To say they - the teachers - were a tad surprised and not a little suspicious, is an understatement. Our friend took it upon himself, with the Head Teacher's consent, to contact each home. The result was the school ended up with just 8 'legitimate' pupils staying to attend - each other child had at least one parent at home who was able to look after them and these were told in no uncertain terms to come and pick their child up straight away. Said a lot about the parents, sadly.

Thanks Kay.

In most schools the first level of complaint (after speaking to the teacher him/herself) should be to the head, not the chair of governors. If you're not satisfied with the response, then escalate.

In most schools the first level of complaint (after speaking to the teacher him/herself) should be to the head, not the chair of governors. If you're not satisfied with the response, then escalate.

Quite so. I'd already advised @Ricey earlier in the thread to speak to the Head, and then if no response to go to the Governors. As a former Chair of Governors, I am quite well aware of that.

@Ricey just one more thing, do check with other parents in the class if you can, just in case there's some log in that your children are missing for specific work based websites.

When do we reckon that the government will allow the so called social bubble?

Obviously much will depend on data and of course the great British common sense, which isnt all that common.

Haven't seen my girlfriend in 8 weeks. Well not in a traditional sense. We had a walk at distance on Saturday.

Also haven't seen my 3 year old for the same as his mum works covid wards and doesn't want to take any chances with him visiting people, especially me, I'm in the at risk bracket.

Be so nice to give both of them a hug some time soon but I am fearing a second spike and further lock downs.

Last edited:
Quite. You don't see supermarket staff, warehouse workers, delivery drivers, NHS staff etc. complaining and refusing to work. Why do teachers think they're so special?

Either way, the government blah blah [politics remoced]

I'm sure this sweeping statement can't be aimed at all teachers, but I genuinely don't know one teacher personally who is refusing to work, or as you say "thinks they're so special". You are aware that many of us have been in school throughout the lockdown, aren't you? I do however, know many who are feeling worried, or unsafe. I presume this is the same as many people who are working in the other industries you mention.

I'm sure you didn't mean this to come across like an attack, and I apologise for biting, but there seems to be a lot of negativity towards teachers at the minute and it's getting a bit irksome for those of us who are trying our best. I'm also not suggesting we're doing anything amazing by working through the lockdown, just doing our job, as are so many millions of people across the country.

Now this really is a very sobering thought and not just a little scary:

We may have to learn to live with this virus for months if not years," England's deputy chief medical officer warns

Influenza is at its most prominent during the winter months, & has disappeared by this time of year, unlike this virus?.
Seasonal flu peaks between December and march , hard to say with this one as we thrown in a lockdown. It seems to be on the rise in south America the start of their winter, but probably a coincidence.

It still kills 8-10000 a year, it also affects kids as well. We still send them to school though.
I agree that flu is a killer, hence the regular inoculations for it. But it seems to me that the covid19 virus is considerably more virulent than flu in that it kills more people. So without a vaccination for it I find it more scary.

Seasonal flu peaks between December and march , hard to say with this one as we thrown in a lockdown. It seems to be on the rise in south America the start of their winter, but probably a coincidence.

The next few months will tell?. To be honest, i fear a 2nd outbreak in the Autumn/Winter when everyone is stuck inside, windows closed, heating on etc, will be more devastating than whats happening now?.

It’s not on the rise in all Southern Hemisphere countries. We’re coming into winter here and there are very few cases still active, something like 150 at the moment with about 20 in hospital.

It all depends On the way your country has reacted, closed the boarders, even closed state boarders here. We have a tracing app that nearly 50% are using,this will hopefully limit any further outbreaks.

I agree that flu is a killer, hence the regular inoculations for it. But it seems to me that the covid19 virus is considerably more virulent than flu in that it kills more people. So without a vaccination for it I find it more scary.
Its more virulent because there is no immunity in the population, it sweeps through like a tidal wave. The same would happen with influenza but there is a base of immunity within the population. Influenza A has around 132 variations which people have may have had at one time or another in their life time in varying degrees. Every February the WHO meets to decided which two strains of Influenza A and B they think is going to be the most virulent for the next year and put that in the vaccine. Covid 19 has been a problem as its new and there is no immunity. It is also likely to mutate again.

It’s not on the rise in all Southern Hemisphere countries. We’re coming into winter here and there are very few cases still active, something like 150 at the moment with about 20 in hospital.

It all depends On the way your country has reacted, closed the boarders, even closed state boarders here. We have a tracing app that nearly 50% are using,this will hopefully limit any further outbreaks.

Brasil and Ecuador are getting hit quite hard by the looks of things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back