• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whilst on the Stan Collymore subject, Southend ended up getting £4.6million out of the deal with Forest. That's a lot of money now, but in those days it was absolutely massive. The deal with shrewd add-ons from Barry Fry, was £2.2million. £250,000 if Forest got promoted that season, they did. £250,000 if Stan got 25 goals, he did. £250,000 if Stan played for England, he did. And then another chunk when he went to Liverpool with the sell on clause.

Whilst on the Stan Collymore subject, Southend ended up getting £4.6million out of the deal with Forest. That's a lot of money now, but in those days it was absolutely massive. The deal with shrewd add-ons from Barry Fry, was £2.2million. £250,000 if Forest got promoted that season, they did. £250,000 if Stan got 25 goals, he did. £250,000 if Stan played for England, he did. And then another chunk when he went to Liverpool with the sell on clause.
One of those clauses was renegotiated I think

I remember people outside the ground trying to get people not to go in the ground , over Vic Jobson I believe .
I did go to the game despite the boycott, that was a debut to rival Freddie Eastwood's. I can't remember the reason for the boycott, it was either part of a Colin Murphy out campaign or Vic's proposal to relocate the club to Basildon.

I did go to the game despite the boycott, that was a debut to rival Freddie Eastwood's. I can't remember the reason for the boycott, it was either part of a Colin Murphy out campaign or Vic's proposal to relocate the club to Basildon.

It was definitely anti-Jobson and Basildon .
The previous month, even I joined in with the mass sit-down protest behind the South Bank goal at Upton Park, Charlton Athletic’s home ground that season.

It was definitely anti-Jobson and Basildon .
The previous month, even I joined in with the mass sit-down protest behind the South Bank goal at Upton Park, Charlton Athletic’s home ground that season.
I also went to the Charlton game and remember the sit in well. It didn't go down well with the Charlton or West Ham stewards.

I believe that game was boycotted by the United for Southend group

I still went to the game but remember Dozens staying in the Spread Eagle
Yep, The Spread and the Railway, we were waiting outside at full-time when our 'scab' associates emerged from the ground all wide-eyed, gushing about this new messiah.

Who did not go to Stans debut because of the boycott , and did they regret it after .

Yep, The Spread and the Railway, we were waiting outside at full-time when our 'scab' associates emerged from the ground all wide-eyed, gushing about this new messiah.
Leaving the ground me and my mates had mixed feelings about stan along the lines of "why did Palace let him go, he cant be this good". but of course he was-thanks for the memories Stan! By the way, who did Stan replace that day?

Leaving the ground me and my mates had mixed feelings about stan along the lines of "why did Palace let him go, he cant be this good". but of course he was-thanks for the memories Stan! By the way, who did Stan replace that day?
Sadly it was Ian Benjamin .

That season’s leading scorer, 4 goals!, Ian Benjamin,had just been sold cheaply to Luton

Everyone was being distinctly derisory about this replacement from Palace reserves. I remember saying pre-match “ he’s reasonably tall,I suppose he might win a few headers”.

Back