• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Frontline update

I once got chatting to an old guy at breakfast in a B and B in Exeter. He was from Lincs and used to work on the trains and had a free pass. Since his wife passed away he spent most of his time working his way through the directory of Wetherspoons pubs, attempting to visit them all. He had four or five to do in and around Exeter with just a two night stay. He said he had visited the Wetherspoons in Dundee, there and back in one day, and only had 15 mins in the pub. You might say what a waste of time but I actually found him quite inspiring. It was also funny because he admitted the pubs were all the same. I think he just loved travelling. He'd followed Forest around Europe back in their heyday.

There is definitely an increase in traffic and movement in the streets and I suppose some people are needing to go to work to support their family (which is understandable) but, be warned of second wave and we are already putting in plans for the second wave which if not in the immediate certainly in a few months.
Very sadly I have lost quite a few of my patients due to this disease and I am continuing to get notifications of new cases within the care homes so we are not there yet and would urge people not to become too complacent

I once got chatting to an old guy at breakfast in a B and B in Exeter. He was from Lincs and used to work on the trains and had a free pass. Since his wife passed away he spent most of his time working his way through the directory of Wetherspoons pubs, attempting to visit them all. He had four or five to do in and around Exeter with just a two night stay. He said he had visited the Wetherspoons in Dundee, there and back in one day, and only had 15 mins in the pub. You might say what a waste of time but I actually found him quite inspiring. It was also funny because he admitted the pubs were all the same. I think he just loved travelling. He'd followed Forest around Europe back in their heyday.

Not much different to us travelling the length of the country for an hour and a half's footy.
I used to think yes I've been to these places, yet I'd only ever visited the football ground, and then come straight back home.

Nowadays I try (in the last summer beginning of the season, or early May) try to make a weekend of it , if it's somewhere pleasant, say Cotswolds, Plymouth, or Portsmouth.
I know people will be thinking "who wants to go there", but I'm getting old ,and I visit the surrounding areas.

Does anyone remember football matches?

Not much different to us travelling the length of the country for an hour and a half's footy.
I used to think yes I've been to these places, yet I'd only ever visited the football ground, and then come straight back home.

Nowadays I try (in the last summer beginning of the season, or early May) try to make a weekend of it , if it's somewhere pleasant, say Cotswolds, Plymouth, or Portsmouth.
I know people will be thinking "who wants to go there", but I'm getting old ,and I visit the surrounding areas.

Does anyone remember football matches?
Equally importantly, I'm not too sure that I care at the moment. Obviously as things return to normal(ish) the appetite will return, but for now there are more important things to think about.

The big problem is that the government cant afford to not start lifting restrictions. Without tax revenues coming in, and with huge additional costs for furloughed workers and closed doors for businesses, the money will run out and there will be no money to pay for the NHS. So ironically, getting the economy some way to back on track means people going to work. Without that all important taxation revenue and financial recovery, the government can't pay for the NHS to treat the poor souls who contract the virus and end up being really unwell.

And people can’t go back to work until kids go back to school. So despite all the scientific advice, things will start moving soon, as I believe just over half the UK workforce are furloughed and that’s an equivalent cost almost to the NHS and just ain’t sustainable.

The big problem is that the government cant afford to not start lifting restrictions. Without tax revenues coming in, and with huge additional costs for furloughed workers and closed doors for businesses, the money will run out and there will be no money to pay for the NHS. So ironically, getting the economy some way to back on track means people going to work. Without that all important taxation revenue and financial recovery, the government can't pay for the NHS to treat the poor souls who contract the virus and end up being really unwell.

Disagree. As the Government recently decided to spunk 100 Billion on a railway which is not needed, it can afford to keep the status quo for another few weeks.

Nurse out of intensive care after 45 days

Staff applaud as Felix Khor leaves intensive care
Southend Hospital

A nurse in the UK has left intensive care after spending more than 45 days there with coronavirus.

Felix Khor, who is being treated at Southend University Hospital in Essex where he has worked for 15 years, gave a "thumbs up" as he was moved out and thanked those who helped to save his life.

The hospital said colleagues lined the main corridor and there were applause, cheers and a few tears as Mr Khor was moved to a ward.

Mr Khor said: "I'm incredibly grateful to all of the hospital staff who have helped keep me fighting, and for the huge love and support from colleagues and friends.

He added: "There is still a long road ahead but it has meant so much."

great news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys me again. I'm afraid I've seen a mini spike in covid cases over the last few days in A@E. Especially sunday and again today. Keep an eye on the magical R number...if they give it out of course.

We have had a few more come through too although I suspect it is the fact that more people are being tested who are not symptomatic

Its the morons who think its fun to go out and break guidelines, waste of emergency time three times on call out had to call the police, because of being spat on, and the poor B & T s only had one spit vest

My thoughts with you leeblue and your fellow workers, a few claps willnot make it any better for work/pay, but make you realise you are appreciated by us all
All of you deserve a medal at the end of this

Its the morons who think its fun to go out and break guidelines, waste of emergency time three times on call out had to call the police, because of being spat on, and the poor B & T s only had one spit vest

My thoughts with you leeblue and your fellow workers, a few claps willnot make it any better for work/pay, but make you realise you are appreciated by us all
All of you deserve a medal at the end of this

Tonight is meant to be the last clap according to many, including the person that thought of it. It's 10 weeks.

Tonight is meant to be the last clap according to many, including the person that thought of it. It's 10 weeks.

Yeah I read that too and I’m a bit conflicted to be honest.
On the one hand I think ‘should anyone have the right to declare it the last weekly clap’ - even if it were their idea to start it ?
Part of me thinks , this is a small way of showing some appreciation and I don’t accept being told to stop.
On the other hand, I’ve felt several people during the last two weeks seem to be ‘forcing themselves’ to do it - maybe that’s not the right expression but I do feel the enthusiasm of some waning a bit.
I really don’t want this to feel like an obligation, but come on , is two minutes , once a week a big sacrifice ?

The clap has become more about those clapping (the Instagram generation) than those it's supposed to be about. I've not done it for weeks. There's a far better way to support the NHS you know.

We will make tonight our last ringing of the ship's bell. Five years its been up and never once has any bugger rung it. Ring the door bell? yep, use the knocker? yep, or the delivery man method of hitting his/her fist on the door. Nevertheless I feel the clapping has run it's course.

The clap has become more about those clapping (the Instagram generation) than those it's supposed to be about. I've not done it for weeks. There's a far better way to support the NHS you know.

Though I agree MKS re Instagram “look at me brigade” , it’s a personal thing and believe 2 minutes showing your support when you are on lockdown is a small price to pay , not only nurses but all the services and co workers
Also next to me are a few OAPS who have not ventured out, so lovely to see their faces and waves

Back