• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it ,(both in the UK and Spain) only about 5% of the population have had the virus and survived..That's nowhere near the 60% (or so) needed to develop "herd immunity".

So we're going to need that vaccine.
Not disputing that figure but that doesn’t, I don’t think, take into account asymptotic carriers and those who have had it but had mild symptoms not requiring hospitalisation. Many of whom wouldn’t even have been tested. Not to mention the people who had it between Dec and Mar, where there were zero restrictions on movement in place. Pretty sure my Mum’s partner and my Nan both had it in Feb, neither were tested so don’t show up on any figures. Reasonably sure I had mild symptoms myself in early April, I isolated for 14 days. For all the talk of a “second wave” that isn’t yet reflected in any of the figures and the R rate remains under 1.
Is this the time for complacency? Hell no!!

Not disputing that figure but that doesn’t, I don’t think, take into account asymptotic carriers and those who have had it but had mild symptoms not requiring hospitalisation. Many of whom wouldn’t even have been tested. Not to mention the people who had it between Dec and Mar, where there were zero restrictions on movement in place. Pretty sure my Mum’s partner and my Nan both had it in Feb, neither were tested so don’t show up on any figures. Reasonably sure I had mild symptoms myself in early April, I isolated for 14 days. For all the talk of a “second wave” that isn’t yet reflected in any of the figures and the R rate remains under 1.
Is this the time for complacency? Hell no!!

All such figures have to be "guessestimates " at best I think.

FWIW, ithink the chances of a second wave in the UK (and elsewhere) come October or so are huge.

As I understand it ,(both in the UK and Spain) only about 5% of the population have had the virus and survived..That's nowhere near the 60% (or so) needed to develop "herd immunity".

So we're going to need that vaccine.
I would;t be so sure about relying on that vaccine. Based on the historical failures of past coronavirus vaccines, a fast-tracked COVID-19 vaccine could become one of the biggest public health disasters in history. And, no one involved is accountable or will face any repercussions. Instead, they will all profit

I wouldn't hold your breath for a vaccine, by the time they have something the virus would have mutated or disappeared out of the population. The oxford company developing a vaccine have had to move testing to brasil as they cant get enough subjects here for testing data. Herd immunity is the key so we need to drop this social distancing for the healthy! We will know the truth about social distancing in 2-3 weeks time if there is a spike in infections from the protests yesterday.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a vaccine, by the time they have something the virus would have mutated or disappeared out of the population. The oxford company developing a vaccine have had to move testing to brasil as they cant get enough subjects here for testing data. Herd immunity is the key so we need to drop this social distancing for the healthy! We will know the truth about social distancing in 2-3 weeks time if there is a spike in infections from the protests yesterday.

The flu mutates every year and we still have a vaccine. There should be enough similarity between C19 and C20 for any vaccine to work. Herd immunity is all very well but id rather not risk any more people for it to work.

The flu mutates every year and we still have a vaccine. There should be enough similarity between C19 and C20 for any vaccine to work. Herd immunity is all very well but id rather not risk any more people for it to work.
Not quite sure vaccines work that way! Life is risk, you've more chance of dying from something else than covid 19!

I was thinking about the local chemist's, actually.
Although as it happens there is a "Todo a Cien" shop in SC (the local equivalent of a Chinese Bazaar ,since they're usually Chinese run).My wife popped into it yesterday to get something to blow up our grandson's plastic ball (for his birthday present later in June).Didn't think to ask her to check the mask situation as I believe we're reasonably well stocked atm. :Winking:

As you intimate there have been some unjustified reports (IMO) in the media of Chinese people being discriminated against .Sadly

I love the Chinese Bazaar’s.

They’re a treasure trove of tawdry toot.

My mum hasn't. She's 91 and barely left the house before all this and certainly doesn't now. I'd rather she didn't die because people want can't live without a McDonalds.
Yes people who are at risk should be shielded and protected. I'm glad she's well. The youth though are the ones who are going to pay for this for the next who knows how many years with austerity, taxation and high unemployment. Herd immunity is the only way forward and we need people to go about their daily business.

Yes people who are at risk should be shielded and protected. I'm glad she's well. The youth though are the ones who are going to pay for this for the next who knows how many years with austerity, taxation and high unemployment. Herd immunity is the only way forward and we need people to go about their daily business.

Normally,I'd gladly sign up to do some Cambridge speaking exams here in Barna in a couple of week's time.However, I don't think I'm quite ready yet to go to work on public transport wearing a mask and doing the same at work.Maybe by the end of September I'll have gotten used to the idea.Dunno.

I would imagine that anyone who pays Income Tax, regardless of age, will share the burden of taxation and austerity. As for herd immunity, I understand the argument, but are you suggesting that any one at risk should remain shielded for the foreseeable future?

I would imagine that anyone who pays Income Tax, regardless of age, will share the burden of taxation and austerity. As for herd immunity, I understand the argument, but are you suggesting that any one at risk should remain shielded for the foreseeable future?
Nope, as soon as herd immunity is achieved. When that is it depends on what study you read, we could be nearly there or six months away. But it will happen quicker if people mingle.

Just a note that in New Zealand there is not a single active case and ALL domestic restrictions are to be lifted at midnight. Yes it is a much smaller country and is an island but the govt went hard and early with probably the harshest restrictions in the western world.
Yes thats true, it is also the cul de sac of the world and not a major transport hub like London. It also has a much lower population. I wonder what will happen when international travel restrictions are lifted?

Well if we wanted proof if a second wave or spike in the virus will follow ...... thanks to a minority of complete idiots on the streets and beaches we are going to find out.All the sacrifices made by the medical ,care services etc thrown back in their faces.At such a critical time too for the restart of the economy which will affect people's lives and health if we have to go backwards in lock downs.
If the stats don't go up then the so called experts have a lot of explaining to do

Well if we wanted proof if a second wave or spike in the virus will follow ...... thanks to a minority of complete idiots on the streets and beaches we are going to find out.All the sacrifices made by the medical ,care services etc thrown back in their faces.At such a critical time too for the restart of the economy which will affect people's lives and health if we have to go backwards in lock downs.
If the stats don't go up then the so called experts have a lot of explaining to do
There’s no “proof” of a second wave, in fact if the figures continue to fall then all lockdown restrictions need ending! The public is already filled with fear and paranoia with some exceptions. Look at the uncertainty over sending kids back to school. As I understand it we’ll continue as long as the NHS are equipped to cope. There’s so much confusion not helped by the media. Lockdown cannot continue for ever, it’s been almost 3 months and the effect on the economy, mental health, many other things is really starting to take its’ own toll. The chances of the majority getting this virus and needing ICU treatment is very low in comparison to the total population. I totally agree we should shield the vulnerable but things have to get moving. If the figures fall after these protests and people flouting the rules there’s NO justification for it continuing

There’s no “proof” of a second wave, in fact if the figures continue to fall then all lockdown restrictions need ending! The public is already filled with fear and paranoia with some exceptions. Look at the uncertainty over sending kids back to school. As I understand it we’ll continue as long as the NHS are equipped to cope. There’s so much confusion not helped by the media. Lockdown cannot continue for ever, it’s been almost 3 months and the effect on the economy, mental health, many other things is really starting to take its’ own toll. The chances of the majority getting this virus and needing ICU treatment is very low in comparison to the total population. I totally agree we should shield the vulnerable but things have to get moving. If the figures fall after these protests and people flouting the rules there’s NO justification for it continuing

No but there is previous experience to go by.The second wave after Spanish flu first hit in 1918 was much stronger than the first .

I agree with your point about lockdown,btw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back