• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend only news.

It’s just that ‘haven’t had it for so long that I want it’ attitude.
Very silly in my opinion but it takes all sorts

David Lloyd travellers update from a friend. Some more caravans left yesterday, and some this morning. So he is over the moon. Just a few to go now. He hopes they are going soon. He said the mess is unbelievable, actually, believable, and he hopes they take it with them, but unlikely.

David Lloyd travellers update from a friend. Some more caravans left yesterday, and some this morning. So he is over the moon. Just a few to go now. He hopes they are going soon. He said the mess is unbelievable, actually, believable, and he hopes they take it with them, but unlikely.

Popped over to check earlier and indeed only a few left now although noted lots of rubbish which the council will have to deal with once the last has gone.
Let’s hope that the council have sat up and taken note to ensure all our parks and open spaces remain secure from encampments

Just heard from my local councillor Daniel Cowan
“I can confirm that the council now has a hearing in the Southend-on-Sea Magistrates’ Court on Monday 8 June 2020 with regards to the travellers on Snakes Lane.”
I would hope they will be recording the registrations and hopefully names of those who have been here this time, and on other occasions and seek civil redress for the legal expense and clear up.
And while they (we the tax payers) won't get money from them it would be able to be used to get exclusion orders against those, and I expect there are some, who return to the area every year.
As others have stated, a regular, domiciled, person would be held to account and debt collectors engaged to recover the costs or seize assets in kind.
Some proper action would quickly become known amongst the rogue travellers.

Just heard from my local councillor Daniel Cowan
“I can confirm that the council now has a hearing in the Southend-on-Sea Magistrates’ Court on Monday 8 June 2020 with regards to the travellers on Snakes Lane.”

Hi Tinks. Any idea what the hearing is for?

Popped over to check earlier and indeed only a few left now although noted lots of rubbish which the council will have to deal with once the last has gone.
Let’s hope that the council have sat up and taken note to ensure all our parks and open spaces remain secure from encampments

The problem is that they can break any locks or barriers to get in. They use really heavy cutting tools and angle grinders that make light work of anything metal.

Yes, probably, but they play the same game every time, so they will be gone before that hearing.

Exactly - they know how to do it.
I feel for the people who look out directly onto to Snakes Lane where they come and go and least where I am I have the trees to block some of the view but alas not the noise.
I am hoping the Local Authority will now make this site more secure knowing the frequent this field at the same time every year and I do wonder if David Lloyd has anything to do with the prompt as they are due to reopen next week

Apparently travellers have arrived in a field near to Asda in Rayleigh, about 10 vans and other vehicles - police have been and gone.

The problem is that they can break any locks or barriers to get in. They use really heavy cutting tools and angle grinders that make light work of anything metal.

That is breaking and entering though, and a crime? I always thought they looked for places where they didn't have to do this, so there was no excuse to move them on.

I do feel sorry for the police having to deal with the travelling community. Now I know not all of them are like this but a vast majority are a law upon themselves. Fighting is massive within that community and some of the greatest bare knuckle boxers were travellers, in fact the current heavyweight champion of the world is a traveller. It’s ingrained in them from young to fight and that’s where and why the Police tend to tread carefully. I totally understand why, remember these people serving to keep our counties safe have families. To us not in the Police it just looks like they can get away with anything. It’s not the case they just have to be mindful of how the situation can escalate when going into hostile environments such as a large travelling community.

Absolutely spot on, and i can vouch for that from painful past experience, most of it over 30 years ago. Nothing much changes.

That is breaking and entering though, and a crime? I always thought they looked for places where they didn't have to do this, so there was no excuse to move them on.

That has been my main point OBL. They commit crimes all the time that non travellers(Gorgers they call us) would be charged and fined for. They look for a nice site to stay, normally with an advance party with the tools. If it has no locks or a barrier, fine. If it has locks or a barrier, then they break it. They move onto the land and call the rest to join them. In the old days they used to look for easy access. Nowadays, there are much better tools available to make light work of locks or barriers. The last 4 fields or car parks that have been reported in the Echo, Canvey, Snakes Lane, Langdon Hills and now Rayleigh, they have broken locks or barriers to get in and park up. The moving on bit dosn't come into it, as they're always served that useless bit of paper that gives them a week. If they stay, they are served another bit of paper from the magistrates court. They play the time game, and move on before it comes to the arrest stage. Harlow council got it right. It was costing them so much with fixing locks and barriers, and clearing up all the fly tip from their work and rubbish removal scams, and clearing up on the sites they had just left, that they had enough and got an injunction from the High Court banning all travellers from pitching up. It gives the police and council the power to move them on immediately. It's worked a treat so far. They now avoid Harlow.

I do feel sorry for the police having to deal with the travelling community. Now I know not all of them are like this but a vast majority are a law upon themselves. Fighting is massive within that community and some of the greatest bare knuckle boxers were travellers, in fact the current heavyweight champion of the world is a traveller. It’s ingrained in them from young to fight and that’s where and why the Police tend to tread carefully. I totally understand why, remember these people serving to keep our counties safe have families. To us not in the Police it just looks like they can get away with anything. It’s not the case they just have to be mindful of how the situation can escalate when going into hostile environments such as a large travelling community.

I spoke to a policeman from the Essex police unit that deals with travelers although to be fair I had been drinking.

His opinion was that most were absolutely fine but that the bad ones have tarnished the reputation of the entire community.

Fair comment.Article in today’s Guardian page 21 well worth reading.

For sure, they are difficult to deal with and prone to violence. They both fascinate and annoy me. I've watched all the traveller programs, and see loads of the traveller fights and call out youtube videos. There is a shift at the moment as they used to fight and then shake hands and forget about it. But because of social media, they're upsetting each other more with words, and they are using more weapons, or smashing up each others cars, caravans or mobile homes as a gang, and it quickly escalates. One famous Joyce is up for murder right now after cutting a young mans leg with a scythe slash hook. He cut a main artery and the 18 year old died. Some of the travellers have been going from here to France and Germany to do their tarmac/driveway and gardening and rubbish removal scams the last few summers. The normal police couldn't get them to move off of fields or car parks, so now both countries use their riot police. It's worked so far. And you're right Ricey, our normal police shouldn't have to deal with them when or in case it gets nasty, but someone needs to deal with them, as they can do whatever they like. In case anyone isn't aware, the rubbish removal scam is that they charge a fee for removal and proper disposal of rubbish, hardcore, white goods, old junk, etc, then just dump it down a lane or secluded spot. Avoiding the proper disposal charge to them, that they charged you for. The gardening scam is that they charge cheaply for lopping and trimming trees and trimming bushes and mowing the lawn. The price agreed will be about £100, fair enough you think. Then they use a shredder out the front to shred all branches and garden waste. They knock on your door and now say the amount owed is £1700 for example. £100 for the cutting, and £1600 for removal and safe disposal of waste, plus hire of the wood shredder(that's their own shredder). Not bad for a couple of hours work. They come in the house as a threatening gang when asking for the money. One will drive you to the bank to withdraw the money, and warn you not to speak to anyone. This is exactly what happened to a friends neighbour in Thorpe Bay a few years ago. When she complained, they got nasty but gave her an O.A.P. discount and they settled on £1300. Being not clued up and elderly and vulnerable, she thought the final price was going to be £100 as agreed.
This woman made a bad mistake, she had room to drive around them if you look. She should have done that and not said anything, it's just not worth it.

Travellers update. The Snakes Lane lot have turned up in Rayleigh last week, on a field behind ASDA, and today at Garons Southend. At Snakes Lane they played a covid-19 card to extend the stay. So if they like the site, they will probably be there 3-4 weeks, by using the covid-19 excuse rather than the normal 1-2 weeks stay. Last year they parked up in the field behind ASDA Shoebury. They seem to be parking next to, or near Supermarkets these days.

Back