• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Custard Splat Podcast

Thanks all for the effort made and well worth a listen especially as we all seem to have so much extra time on our hands.

Really enjoyed the Adam and Alderton one's although not so much Roy for me although old enough to have enjoyed watching him in both spell's I personally found his criticism of so many managers a bit too much bearing in mind how reckless and unprofessional he was on so many occasions.

Just like to add my two-penneth to say that these podcasts are great - Terry started talking and just didn't stop, hardly a question needed!

Do give them a watch - far better than main stream TV which is very low on Shrimper content

Also, looking forward to working with Scott to involve SUEPA in these at a future date - potentially at least we have 230 subjects so far to tap in to! Many of you know that SUEPA has a wide base of former Shrimper players as members dating right back to the 1950's - would be interested to know any names folk might like us, with Custard Splat, get in touch with to see if we can get them on a podcast. Stuart Brace talking about his long-range specials, Gerry Fell on those free-kicks and that Newport game, Billy Best on the art of goal-scoring, Chris Guthrie on that two-day Roots Hall happy Easter, Crowny on why Donut's elbows were so important to him in laying out defenders so he could nip in and score (plus that Wigan goal), Stuart Parker on the '76 cup run, Gutts on his strip-off at Swansea, Lenny on long throw success, Sodje on head gear wear, Bazza on the Brum match return ..........

Both of the Terry Alderton episodes are excellent, looking forward to Saturdays episode with King Kev. Great work lads, certainly has put a smile on my face during these challenging times.

Really enjoyed the last podcast while working on the allotment. Terry said during the interview. That a famous ex premiership player wants to buy the club with his fellows? Who on earth is that?!?

Really enjoyed that (and some interesting revelations). I bump into Terry locally now and again (our boys play for the same football club), great bloke and a Southend nut.

BTW I think the South Woodham boy he was referring to was Scott Ashenden (?)

Hi guys, so we did have some ideas to keep something going with this during the period of no games. We still have the ideas in place but with last night's new guidelines we will be indefinitely postponing the podcast. We know we're not very big, we're a pod for a struggling L1 club but we do appreciate anyone that has supported us so far.

However, during this period of isolation, we have started a thread and will be adding daily feel-good moments. So if you haven't done so already, please give us a follow @CustardSplatPod

Fred was on fire that day, how he squeezed in that second? It was an impossible angle. That team was so well balanced arguably our best ever!

From listening to these podcasts (loved them all) the one thing that Im just coming to terms with is what a nasty piece of work Phil Brown is.

Im kind of gutted in a way, his era was where I introduced my younger cousin to Southend and turned him into a season ticket holder alongside me, we both loved the side he assembled and his organised philosophy. Also obviously the day out at Wembley.

But some of the experiences these former players have described of having with Brown is just sad.

P.S I would love to know what player Mark Phillips is talking about that he hated and wanted to fight. Just fascinating that all this was happening behind the scenes while on the field we got promoted.

From listening to these podcasts (loved them all) the one thing that Im just coming to terms with is what a nasty piece of work Phil Brown is.

Im kind of gutted in a way, his era was where I introduced my younger cousin to Southend and turned him into a season ticket holder alongside me, we both loved the side he assembled and his organised philosophy. Also obviously the day out at Wembley.

But some of the experiences these former players have described of having with Brown is just sad.

P.S I would love to know what player Mark Phillips is talking about that he hated and wanted to fight. Just fascinating that all this was happening behind the scenes while on the field we got promoted.

Same position as him, have a feeling it's Cresswell

I've got to say these are surprisingly good. Well done.

They've veered from the light-hearted (Dickinson and Donut) to the serious (Rhys Evans and Mark Phillips) with ease and have both informed and entertained without dropping into hagiography. Great job.

How have you selected your interviewees? They haven't all been necessarily the obvious choices - the likes of Dickinson and Phillips being some of the more underrated players of the last decade - but they've all given, articulate and insightful interviews.

I've got to say these are surprisingly good. Well done.

They've veered from the light-hearted (Dickinson and Donut) to the serious (Rhys Evans and Mark Phillips) with ease and have both informed and entertained without dropping into hagiography. Great job.

How have you selected your interviewees? They haven't all been necessarily the obvious choices - the likes of Dickinson and Phillips being some of the more underrated players of the last decade - but they've all given, articulate and insightful interviews.

it’s been a case of sliding in some DM’s! Certain ex players have followed us back on Social Media so we felt that was good grounds to spark up the conversation

We had the Mark Phillips one planned for ages, he was meant to be our first guest back in January to talk about the passing of Chris Barker but with various scheduling conflicts we couldn’t get it done and then obviously we had the lockdown and Mark himself was ill so it was great to finally talk to him.

It’s surprised me as well how up for it a lot of these guys are to have a chat with us!! They say don’t meet your heroes, I think that still counts on a video call... but no one has let us down yet

The biggest compliment I could probably give them all that it does rubbish a myth that all footballers are up themselves. Everyone we’ve spoken with has come across as a very genuine bloke

The common theme with these recordings and others I've heard involving ex players, how the club have mucked them around, being let down, false promises etc

Obvously, there are two sides to every story but this feedback is coming from 'everyone' even through the good days!

Back