• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The redundancies are coming now and the unemployment level will be seriously grim in the next few months. Upper Crust have just halved their workforce from 10,000 to 5,000.

I don't know if countries will look back in years to come and question whether the lockdown was worth the damage that is about to happen. Perhaps a lockdown for people of certain ages and medical conditions would have shielded them, not overwhelmed the NHS and kept the economy going
with fit younger people continuing to work where this virus is very unlikely to seriously harm them?

Who knows. Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing and we could get a second wave which is much worse than the first wave which would make the above irrelevant anyway.

Just read through the first 11 pages on this thread from late Feb / early March. Obviously hindsight is 20-20 but this one post did stand out as particularly wide of the mark.
The problem at the start of this pandemic is people didn't understand exponential growth. Including the President of USA.

Bloody China AGAIN! Seriously, is it the wet markets?

I think I read yesterday it was in an abatoir or food processing plant where an unusual number of workers had become ill with a new flu strain. Makes you wonder what they do to these poor bloody animals before, during and after euthenaising them.....

Edit: Although the good news is, the strip clubs are open again. Everyone - strippers included - has to wear a mask. ‘Murica
[/QUOTE]

You pay extra for the mask in Blighty,so I've heard.

• Haha
Reactions: GBJ
I think I read yesterday it was in an abatoir or food processing plant where an unusual number of workers had become ill with a new flu strain. Makes you wonder what they do to these poor bloody animals before, during and after euthenaising them.....

According to the BBC report I read it is easily dealt with by modifying an existing flu vaccine.

Apparently there are some areas that are close to going down the same road as Leicester.

36 "at-risk" areas are:
• Havering
• Wiltshire
• Wandsworth
• Gloucestershire
• Ealing
• Hammersmith and Fulham
• Doncaster
• Plymouth
• Barking and Dagenham
• Westminster
• Milton Keynes
• Wakefield
• Haringey
• Medway
• Hounslow
• Brent
• Harrow
• Kensington and Chelsea
• Slough
• Suffolk
• Redbridge
• Sandwell
• Enfield
• Tower Hamlets
• York
• Sunderland
• Wigan
• Windsor and Maidenhead
• Leicester
• Gateshead
• Isle of Wight
• Richmond upon Thames
• Portsmouth
• Redcar and Cleveland
• Derbyshire
• Walsall

Just noticed last week Cases in Essex 18 Week Before 62.
Now that is good news although only a weeks figures really do not mean a lot.

Apparently there are some areas that are close to going down the same road as Leicester.

36 "at-risk" areas are:
• Havering
• Wiltshire
• Wandsworth
• Gloucestershire
• Ealing
• Hammersmith and Fulham
• Doncaster
• Plymouth
• Barking and Dagenham
• Westminster
• Milton Keynes
• Wakefield
• Haringey
• Medway
• Hounslow
• Brent
• Harrow
• Kensington and Chelsea
• Slough
• Suffolk
• Redbridge
• Sandwell
• Enfield
• Tower Hamlets
• York
• Sunderland
• Wigan
• Windsor and Maidenhead
• Leicester
• Gateshead
• Isle of Wight
• Richmond upon Thames
• Portsmouth
• Redcar and Cleveland
• Derbyshire
• Walsall

My sister and family live on The Isle of Wight. We are meant to be taking my dad there for his 90th birthday in a couple of weeks. Sister seems keen to carry on but my wife and I have dug our heels in and saying no. Far too many risk scenarios and both her and brother in law are NHS staff.

My sister and family live on The Isle of Wight. We are meant to be taking my dad there for his 90th birthday in a couple of weeks. Sister seems keen to carry on but my wife and I have dug our heels in and saying no. Far too many risk scenarios and both her and brother in law are NHS staff.

Its just not worth the risk.

If you're not concerned about an incurable virus that didn't exist 7 months ago and has now killed >40,000 in the UK and 0.5m worldwide while continuing to spread at an increasing rate then I don't know what to tell you.

Flu is a much bigger killer, even with a vaccine. The vast majority of people who have died from Covid19 haven't actually died from Covid19 itself. Sure, it's a killer, but it's been massively hyped up causing frenzy panic all over the world. As for what to tell me, tell me nothing. You deal with it in your way, I'll deal with it in my way

Flu is a much bigger killer, even with a vaccine. The vast majority of people who have died from Covid19 haven't actually died from Covid19 itself. Sure, it's a killer, but it's been massively hyped up causing frenzy panic all over the world. As for what to tell me, tell me nothing. You deal with it in your way, I'll deal with it in my way
I heard death rate is now falling below national average in the country ( I haven't confirmed if this is true) so make of that what you will. It could be that the people that were probably going to die in the next three months have died already? In perspective Cancer kills 170k a year, Heart disease kills 165k a year and stroke kills 70k a year. More of a worry for me is that vital referrals for these conditions may have been delayed. We could see these figures grow in the next year.

Unfortunately,as the slogan goes:-"We're all in this together." If you ,I and everyone else don't do their bit and take sensible precautions (eg wearing face masks,frequent hand cleaning and observing social distancing guidelines) then the spread of Covid-19 won't be controlled.

Unfortunately, for those that have contracted this virus and needed hospital admission and care in ITU an have been on a ventilator we are only now seeing some of the lasting effects this virus can have on the body and in particular on the major organs. Kidney problems being the most prominent.
In the bigger picture though yes cancer, Heart Disease and now Dementia (which is now a bigger killer than cancer) has and does kill more people but, it cannot be transferred from person to person which COVID-19 can.
People are now getting testing easier so we are bound to see more positive but, as being reported it is not so much the young affected by having this but the elderly and those with underlying medical health conditions and multiple co-morbidities and so we ALL have to take responsibility in ensuring we don’t pass this on.

Last edited:
People are now getting testing easier so we are bound to see more positive but, as being reported it is not so much the young affected by having this but the elderly and those with underlying medical health conditions and multiple co-morbidities and so we ALL have to take responsibility in ensuring we do pass this on.
Sorry @Tinks, do you mean 'do pass it on', or should it read 'don't'? Asking for a friend ((@Cricko).

Unfortunately, for those that have contracted this virus and needed hospital admission and care in ITU an have been on a ventilator we are only now seeing some of the lasting effects this virus can have on the body and in particular on the major organs. Kidney problems being the most prominent.
In the bigger picture though yes cancer, Heart Disease and now Dementia (which is now a bigger killer than cancer) has and does kill more people but, it cannot be transferred from person to person which COVID-19 can.
People are now getting testing easier so we are bound to see more positive but, as being reported it is not so much the young affected by having this but the elderly and those with underlying medical health conditions and multiple co-morbidities and so we ALL have to take responsibility in ensuring we don’t pass this on.

My sister's father in law is in a bad way. He was intubated and on a ventilator for the best part of 11 weeks. To get him off the ventilator he had to have a tracheostomy. He's now in a rehab home, but is breathing on his own. He can't walk, can only sit up for very short periods of time (i.e. 10 minutes) and isn't full with it either. He's in his early 70s and far as I'm aware had no underlying health conditions. At various points his kidneys and heart needed help. He had numerous blood transfusions and I believe has now had a pacemaker fitted. It's going to be at least a year before he has even a semblance of a normal life, if he does at all.

I don't know of any flu that will leave you like that.

My sister's father in law is in a bad way. He was intubated and on a ventilator for the best part of 11 weeks. To get him off the ventilator he had to have a tracheostomy. He's now in a rehab home, but is breathing on his own. He can't walk, can only sit up for very short periods of time (i.e. 10 minutes) and isn't full with it either. He's in his early 70s and far as I'm aware had no underlying health conditions. At various points his kidneys and heart needed help. He had numerous blood transfusions and I believe has now had a pacemaker fitted. It's going to be at least a year before he has even a semblance of a normal life, if he does at all.

I don't know of any flu that will leave you like that.
How awful for him.
Sadly though we are seeing some cases where this virus has left the individual with ongoing health concerns and are needing to go into a rehab facility for ongoing care/input.
One of the things we have seen though particularly in older people is confusion and delirium and we have yet to learn the long term impact of that.

When I see all the pictures of people gathering without following the guidelines I become disheartened and fearful for potential outcomes.

I hope he recovers and can get back to some normality in his life but I fear it may be a long struggle for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back