• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an anti-vaxer - but how comfortable can we be that any Covid vaccine will be safe with no short or long term side effects?

Stage 3 trials require mass volunteering efforts to try and establish any outlying side effects to make sure it's suitable for use across the general population. These things all have a process and that is being adhered to now. The anti-vaxxer movement is growing (which is a whole other discussion about failing human behaviour beyond animal welfare standards, wet markets and eat bats) so they can't really afford to get this wrong.

Stage 3 trials require mass volunteering efforts to try and establish any outlying side effects to make sure it's suitable for use across the general population. These things all have a process and that is being adhered to now. The anti-vaxxer movement is growing (which is a whole other discussion about failing human behaviour beyond animal welfare standards, wet markets and eat bats) so they can't really afford to get this wrong.
Both Phase 2 and Phase 3 are designed to evaluate the safety of a new vaccine. Because you're testing in generally healthy individuals without the infectious disease of interest then you require very large studies to have confidence in identifying rare but serious side-effects. The good thing for vaccines is that they generally work in one of two different ways and both ways have been demonstrated to be very safe, so that builds a degree of confidence.

Safety will also be evaluated in post-launch Phase 4 where they're monitored.

I do have a concern about long term efficacy, rather than long-term safety. Will have to see how the regulators respond to this. I have a general concern about if a successful vaccine will be identified. I wonder if rather than mass vaccination we might end up in a situation where they can only provide relatively short-term immunity, and it might not stop transmission, so would be useful for key worker protection but not really a way to achieve mass herd immunity. This isn't based on any inside information, but just a general worry.

Managed to snap a tooth which is great timing.

Booked in an emergency appointment for this Friday which is hte earliest available but I have been instructed that masks for patients are compulsory or I won't be allowed in.

Now, I'm no dental surgeon but I think wearing a mask may hinder his ability to carry out the necessary work so again I can see the constant wearing/removing of said mask being more of a risk than not having one to start with.

Maybe he's a magician and can work around it? ?

Booked in an emergency appointment for this Friday which is hte earliest available but I have been instructed that masks for patients are compulsory or I won't be allowed in.

Now, I'm no dental surgeon but I think wearing a mask may hinder his ability to carry out the necessary work so again I can see the constant wearing/removing of said mask being more of a risk than not having one to start with.

I think you'll find that's just to enter the surgery to protect the receptionists. When you see the dentist he/she and the dental nurse will be wearing the world's supply of PPE so you don't have to. You'll probably get your temperature taken when you go in though.

You just leave the mask on, and they drill through the mask. Plus, if they strike oil during the drilling, the mask will help soak it up.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that's just to enter the surgery to protect the receptionists. When you see the dentist he/she and the dental nurse will be wearing the world's supply of PPE so you don't have to. You'll probably get your temperature taken when you go in though.

Already been told that i will have to have what amounts to a small scale medical before being allowed in. Oh, and i also have to take my own pen with me :ROFL:

Fully expect him to and his assistant to be wearing full Hazmat suits!

The best bit though is they only take cash and refuse card payments so after all that i'll be given a load of change that's been exchanged between countless people. You couldn't make it up

• Haha
Reactions: RHB
Just heard some heartbreaking stories from nurses and paramedics on the radio, of what they went through, the risks they took when the PPE was bad, and the life or death decisions they were forced to make by their managers. Truly shocking. Some are now in therapy. Like everyone on the planet, I can't wait for this virus to be gone.

Already been told that i will have to have what amounts to a small scale medical before being allowed in. Oh, and i also have to take my own pen with me :ROFL:

Fully expect him to and his assistant to be wearing full Hazmat suits!

The best bit though is they only take cash and refuse card payments so after all that i'll be given a load of change that's been exchanged between countless people. You couldn't make it up
When my wife went to her dentist 2 weeks ago she had root canal treatment and the dentist and nurse had masks face screens and hoods with portable oxygen packs on their backs. You couldn't make it up.

14 days quarantine if returning from Spain, Canary or Balearic Islands.

This is another huge blow for the travel and tourism industry.

Just heard some heartbreaking stories from nurses and paramedics on the radio, of what they went through, the risks they took when the PPE was bad, and the life or death decisions they were forced to make by their managers. Truly shocking. Some are now in therapy. Like everyone on the planet, I can't wait for this virus to be gone.

Can you expand on this bit, thanks.

I did read an article by the family of a (non) victim of Covid in the early days. She had an ongoing issue, wasn't that old but was denied a ventilator because they expected more 'deserving' cases.....They never arrived and she could have been saved.

Around the same time some former work colleagues of mine, rescued a woman from a fire in Mile End. She was mid 50's and had just come out of hospital after suffering from pneumonia. A dispute broke out between Paramedics and a HEMS doctor as he did not want to block a ventilator. The paramedics wanted to take her but the Doctor said not to transport her to hospital and wanted to her 'comfortable' until she died......Unheard of by all concerned. The London hospital is just over 1 mile away with a straight run down the A11.

The paramedics won and were allowed to take her. She did die later but most think she was not given the treatment she deserved and was a victim of what might happen rather than what did happen.

Last edited:

I did read an article by the family of a (non) victim of Covid in the early days. She had an ongoing issue, wasn't that old but was denied a ventilator because they expected more 'deserving' cases.....They never arrived and she could have been saved.

Around the same time some former work colleagues of mine, rescued a woman from a fire in Mile End. She was mid 50's and had just come out of hospital after suffering from pneumonia. A dispute broke out between Paramedics and a HEMS doctor as he did not want to block a ventilator. The paramedics wanted to take her but the Doctor said not to transport her to hospital and wanted to her 'comfortable' until she died......Unheard of by all concerned. The London hospital is just over 1 mile away with a straight run down the A11.

The paramedics won and were allowed to take her. She did die later but most think she was not given the treatment she deserved and was a victim of what might happen rather than what did happen.

That’s is so sad.
We did send some people to hospital and they were given treatment.
Some returned home some didn’t

Yes, sure. It was a paramedic who said they had some sort of severity of illness score, I think 1-7 was mentioned. The managers told them in no uncertain terms to change the number at which a patient would be taken to hospital, so as to not take up all the beds in hospital. She said she is traumatised and under taking therapy. She said there were many elderly that were left at home and she knew they would die, that should have gone to hospital.

Yes, sure. It was a paramedic who said they had some sort of severity of illness score, I think 1-7 was mentioned. The managers told them in no uncertain terms to change the number at which a patient would be taken to hospital, so as to not take up all the beds in hospital. She said she is traumatised and under taking therapy. She said there were many elderly that were left at home and she knew they would die, that should have gone to hospital.

Further prove that just comparing death rates from one year to another will not give a true figure of Covid deaths.

A good friend of mine went down the hospital with his family and removed their terminally ill dad as they knew he did not have Covid. Which had been diagnosed over the phone when his partner had called an ambulance when he deteriorated. He died 4 days later but surrounded by family rather than left in a corner on his own.

BBC Breakfast interviewed a GP this morning who flew back from Spain with his family the day after they landed. The aim was not to get caught up with the 14 day quarantine. It cost him a packet to fly home only to discover that, as a key medical worker, he was exempt from the quarantine rule. Bummer!

Further prove that just comparing death rates from one year to another will not give a true figure of Covid deaths.

A good friend of mine went down the hospital with his family and removed their terminally ill dad as they knew he did not have Covid. Which had been diagnosed over the phone when his partner had called an ambulance when he deteriorated. He died 4 days later but surrounded by family rather than left in a corner on his own.
No one is doing this. Comparing death rates is to understand the total excess mortality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back