• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend only news.

Quite a few in M & S Rayleigh without masks yesterday. A couple of who looked like they were doing it to provoke a reaction.

Quite a few in M & S Rayleigh without masks yesterday. A couple of who looked like they were doing it to provoke a reaction.

Yeah, there was a bloke coughing his guts up in my local Co-Op yesterday without a mask. Asked politely to either cover his face or go elsewhere, got stroppy and then got told not so politely by the very big fella in front of me to go elsewhere.

I was wearing one and nearly went elsewhere as well, buggered if I would have upset him. ?

Thats why I'm retired....

You sound like one of those people who judge without knowing anyones story.....There has been far to much of that since the 'official' start of Covid.

Back to Southend. The beach at Thorpe bay still had plenty of room for all so don't miss out.....Enjoy it why you still can.
Plus your phobia to water,fire and heights was the clincher eh Riggs, ha ha.

Plus your phobia to water,fire and heights was the clincher eh Riggs, ha ha.

None of those would prevent me now......Everyones an individual with their own personal needs and must be accommodated for......Even if you can't lift something heavy like a big ladder, you can ask for help.

After all a modern fire and recuse service should fully represent the community it serves......Who wants the best when you can have all the rest.

None of those would prevent me now......Everyones an individual with their own personal needs and must be accommodated for......Even if you can't lift something heavy like a big ladder, you can ask for help.

After all a modern fire and recuse service should fully represent the community it serves......Who wants the best when you can have all the rest.
Who knows,maybe fireman Sam was Trans gender then.

Why don’t all shops etc now state no mask = no entry? Someone who doesn’t wear a mask is more a risk to others than someone wearing a mask, I dislike masks due to breathing problems but will always wear one. Went in two shops and my local post-office this week where some people weren’t wearing a mask only be told by staff ”it’s a police matter we can’t do anything” . Well, that’s pathetic and just passing the buck!

While I agree that any measure that can be proven to help reduce the risk should be implemented the wearing of masks confuses me slightly.

The vast majority of people i see wearing masks, and I'm talking 90%+, spend the entire time fiddling with them, wearing them incorrectly, or both. This must be worse than not wearing at all as they are just making excessive contact with the face area with dirty hands?

Thus making it more likely for them to contract C19 or if they have it making sure it's nicely smeared all over their hands before touhing every surface available.

Happy to be proved mistaken

Last edited:
While I agree that any measure that can be proven to help reduce the risk should be implimented the wearing of masks confuses me slightly.

The vast majority of people i see wearing masks, and I'm talking 90%+, spend the entire time fiddling with them, wearing them incorrectly, or both. This must be worse than not wearing at all as they are just making excessive contact with the face area with dirty hands?

Thus making it more likely for them to contract C19 or if they have it making sure it's nicely smeared all over their hands before touhing every surface available.

Happy to be proved mistaken
One thing is for certain, if we were to abandon the mask in public places and shops then the virus would definitely spread quicker than if masks are worn. 90% seems a bit high to me based on what I've seen and I'm not really sure how it could be measured accurately. Personal hygiene when wearing a mask is entirely down to the individual and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise that we have to take responsibility for our actions. There will always be those that ignore public health requests but just because they are selfish, stupid idiots doesn't mean that the rest of us have to follow suit.

How often do people change their mask?
How many times have you touched your own mask?
Is it laying on your car seat?
Laying around the house or stuffed in your pocket?
Do you turn it inside out after a week?

A well used mask is totally pointless. Its not the amount of positive tests, all that counts is hospital admissions and they are going down. Which is why the Nightingale hospital is being dismantled as speak.

I am wearing a mask (some would say, "about time too") whenever I go shopping etc. Regardless of whether I like wearing one, if it stops this thing spreading and somehow gets me back into a football ground, on a cheap Eastern European flight or whatever you then I am all for it.

I shop in Waitrose, EVERYONE had a mask on today - including staff. It's not difficult.

Some of you need to get over yourselves. It's a piece of cloth and you really only have to wear it for an hour. For the benefit of everyone, just do it.

And to correct @rigsby - it is illegal not to wear one in a shop. Government bought that legislation in on 14th July - the problem is that it is not really enforceable and many stories aren't bothering to.

Stay safe!

How often do people change their mask?
How many times have you touched your own mask?
Is it laying on your car seat?
Laying around the house or stuffed in your pocket?
Do you turn it inside out after a week?

A well used mask is totally pointless. Its not the amount of positive tests, all that counts is hospital admissions and they are going down. Which is why the Nightingale hospital is being dismantled as speak.

You appear not to be wearing a mask if I understand your earlier post, so I don't think you are in any position whatsoever to preach about this.

To answer your question. I wear a new one everytime I go to the shop and I dispose of it when I get home. Unless I am wearing a bandana, and in that case it is put into the washing machine.

Then I again I am in the "at risk" category and would quite like to see Xmas which is proving a bit of a challenge thanks to the behaviour of people "with privelidge"

You appear not to be wearing a mask if I understand your earlier post, so I don't think you are in any position whatsoever to preach about this.

To answer your question. I wear a new one everytime I go to the shop and I dispose of it when I get home. Unless I am wearing a bandana, and in that case it is put into the washing machine.

Then I again I am in the "at risk" category and would quite like to see Xmas which is proving a bit of a challenge thanks to the behaviour of people "with privelidge"

Slightly true, as I cant have it tight I go for a full white pillow case with just two eye holes. I have found that even if you make the effort and are wearing one, some people are unhappy with styles of mask.

Seeing as only 6 people died the other day and even if that was solely down to Covid rather than 'linked' thats about the average for road deaths in Britain.....Make sure you don't get in a car between now and Christmas.

Slightly true, as I cant have it tight I go for a full white pillow case with just two eye holes. I have found that even if you make the effort and are wearing one, some people are unhappy with styles of mask.

Seeing as only 6 people died the other day and even if that was solely down to Covid rather than 'linked' thats about the average for road deaths in Britain.....Make sure you don't get in a car between now and Christmas.

http://www.brake.org.uk/facts-resources/1653-uk-road-casualties - to save you the effort of right clicking it says "In 2018, there were 1,784 people killed on the roads in Britain; "

Could you remind yourself how many people have died in last six months from Covid. And don't lose yourself in what deaths have been reported as, you can just look at the 2020 death rate and compare it to 2019 - that is a good indication of the damage Covid has done.

When you've done that, compare it to 1784. Have a little think about the two numbers and then consider the wisdom (or lack of) in your post.

Road deaths? Mostly avoidable and accidental?
Covid deaths? Mostly avoidable?

I recommend avoiding both types of death and the risks of serious health issues.

You know it makes sense.

Just seen that EasyJet are leaving Southend Airport from September.

Just seen that EasyJet are leaving Southend Airport from September.

It seems it's quitting it's Southend base but not necessarily leaving the Airport completely.

It seems it's quitting it's Southend base but not necessarily leaving the Airport completely.

The news coming through it is all of their operations at the airport and they will cease flying from Southend.
Sad news indeed

The closed it as a hub last month so effectively no planes of crew based here. This is the complete pulling of the plug. Stansted has suffered the same end.

Back