• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst moments as Shrimpers

October 7th 1992.
Picked up my new XR2 the day before, drove to Derby to see us lose 7-0 in a league cup game. Got verbally abused for 90 minutes by the Derby fans. Car problems on the way home and watched the players coach drive past with the players all in high spirits.

I’d say Southend 1 Doncaster 7 but history may show we’re still trapped in the same extended moment.

Ha! Rob Noxious came up from Cornwall to see that.Still looked shellshocked when I saw him for the Ipswich game. :Scared:

FWIW, I think my worst memory would have to be a (8-0) league cup defeat at Palace.Running it close would be another heavy defeat in the league at Gillingham back in the 80's when Steve Phillips scored our only goal.:Facepalm:

Missing out on the L1 playoffs by 15 minutes, it gave many fans and some within the club the expectation that we should be at that level leading to over-reaching and spending too much on players who weren't interested in playing here and only after one last payday.

There is a direct line from that point to the situation we now find ourselves in due the instability that has been present at the club ever since

Ron over spending was long before that. Try when we come down from the Championship. He gambled with money he didnt have to get back there.

Ha! Rob Noxious came up from Cornwall to see that.Still looked shellshocked when I saw him for the Ipswich game. :Scared:

FWIW, I think my worst memory would have to be a (8-0) league cup defeat at Palace.Running it close would be another heavy defeat in the league at Gillingham back in the 80's when Steve Phillips scored our only goal.:Facepalm:
I believe I was at that Gills game, 5 or 6 to 1, and a last minute 1 at that. Horrible dark, cold night but before the scaffold stand iirc.

Friday night, 15 January 1971
Newport County 3 Southend United 0.

It was Newport’s first win of the season.

Things picked up after that as Arthur Rowley dumped Brian Lloyd and Owen Simpson and brought in John Roberts, Terry Johnson and Dave Elliot and threw in Peter Taylor.
Five of the players who played that night were gone by the start of the next season , Lindsey only played half a dozen games in the next season . Arthur Rowley was starting to cull players and bring in players that would be one of the greatest team to wear the shirt and get us promoted the next season .

Think that was the result, yes. It was just a really inept performance. Looked like he had won a competition to play for Southend. In fairness, though, probably not one of the worst moments. For some reason it's always stayed with me.

Think it was Boxing Day rather than New Years but still a bad game in a long list of bad games.

I believe I was at that Gills game, 5 or 6 to 1, and a last minute 1 at that. Horrible dark, cold night but before the scaffold stand iirc.

The one I'm thinking that Phil is thinking of occurred just after Christmas in '83, an afternoon game which Roy McDonough noted was a particularly tough one for him (in 'Red Card Roy') as he was marked by a young Steve Bruce. I think Terry Cochrane was our chief tormentor that day.

September 13th 1975 , Southend 3 Port Vale 3 . After following Southend for 55 years this game was the worst game I have ever watched , 3-0 up at half time and completly over run in the 2nd half . Coming out the ground at the end of the game I had never seen so many supporters who looked like they had been hit in the head by a sack of potatoes , no one spoke the only noise you could hear was peoples feet walking down the road .

Away at Carlisle. Got done 5-0 and it was freezing and snowing. In the pub with an ex pre match and some maniac said he was gonna cut me up. The train took forever to get home.

Not the best away day

Grimsby away last game of the season, when we drew 1.1 and rumours had gone around we were promoted and the rumours false, think Swansea pipped us

The goading of both sets of fans on the pitch was embarrassing, and if I recall one of the coaches had broken down on the way and we had to distribute the fans in the other coaches, some standing or sitting on the walk way

Wycombe 2 Blues 3 when I parked in the drive. Open back door, switch on radio - Wycombe 4 Southend 3. :Facepalm:
I was out playing football with mates. Checked the score, we were 3-1 up. Checked it again at full time and it was 4-3. Couldn't believe it

Can anyone remember a preseason friendly on 20th August 1984?
We lost 6-0 at home to West Ham. I think we had a trialist goalkeeper Jeff Wood who had played a lot of games for Charlton and then moved to Finland. Needless to say he didn’t get the job. I know it was only a friendly - but 6-0! Before I googled it I was convinced it was 7-0!

This has to be about as low as it's gotten in our history so far, though I can see that record being beaten as we continue on over the next few months.

Agreed. Today is the day when I genuinely feel the club I love is lost.

Today must be up there. I think this is the longest we have ever been bottom of the football league.

Back