• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst moments as Shrimpers

I still don't know where the bottom is. We are on course for the National league unless things change dramatically and quickly. We could even end up going down the pyramid further than that. A lot of former league teams have and we could easily do the same.

In my 45-odd years of supporting the club this must be the lowest point certainly on the pitch. I think the Anton Johnson era was worse off the pitch, but this is the first time I’ve ever seriously thought we could drop out of the league, or are probably likely to. I never even felt that in Luggy’s first season.

Only hope I can see is get the embargo lifted ASAP and sign some experience, otherwise i can’t see anything other than another relegation with probably less than 20 points.

In my 45-odd years of supporting the club this must be the lowest point certainly on the pitch. I think the Anton Johnson era was worse off the pitch, but this is the first time I’ve ever seriously thought we could drop out of the league, or are probably likely to. I never even felt that in Luggy’s first season.

Only hope I can see is get the embargo lifted ASAP and sign some experience, otherwise i can’t see anything other than another relegation with probably less than 20 points.

To be honest, nothing comes close to this on the pitch. You're right. In many ways, it is evidence of how successful we have been over the years. Remember, Tilson took over a side that was flirting with relegation to the conference--we were really struggling-- but this side is on another (much lower) level to that completely. I don't even want to go like for like with that side because its just too depressing. My first season 84-85 was terrible but again, nowhere near this level.

Vs Grimsby, May 2005. The thought of that day just makes me *shudder* ?
Sheer disappointment, remember a false rumour Bury had equalized vs Swansea and we were still up, and they hadn’t. Grimsby fans giving us expected stick and their fella over the tannoy saying how he hoped we’d had a lovely day in Cleethorpes and would see them again next season. It was grey, windy and raining heavy on the way back to the bus. However after a nervous semi vs Northampton (Flahavan with an incredible save in the home leg) & then 3rd time lucky in Cardiff and that Duncan Jupp goal to seal it, made it all worth it and put us on an incredible footing for what followed that next wonderful season winning League One

The day we were bought by Ron

Can’t agree with that, we were pretty much bust when Ron bought us. Whatever you think of him or his motives, he has financed us through good and bad since taking over and one way or another kept us afloat, which I think he’ll continue to do. Whether that’s as a league club is yet to be known.

Can’t agree with that, we were pretty much bust when Ron bought us. Whatever you think of him or his motives, he has financed us through good and bad since taking over and one way or another kept us afloat, which I think he’ll continue to do. Whether that’s as a league club is yet to be known.
I hear what you say but for example Swansea City and Hull City were both in our position as financially crippled clubs but they got new owners and the rest is history

A couple of low moments supporting Southend for me. Forgetting the four tickets for the ldv cup final, having to buy four more then of course losing the game. Worse still, even in my forties my brother still religiously says on the way to every game, event or gig “have you got the tickets? Who would forget the tickets eh?!”.

The other would be losing 7-0 away at Derby in the coca-cola (league) cup in 92. As a 15yr old schoolboy supporting Southend living in Derby, the 1-0 win at roots hall set me up for some stick as we also lost to them in the league in between the cup legs.

Funny how the trials of supporting Southend just make me love the club even more.

The other would be losing 7-0 away at Derby in the coca-cola (league) cup in 92. As a 15yr old schoolboy supporting Southend living in Derby, the 1-0 win at roots hall set me up for some stick as we also lost to them in the league in between the cup legs.
Hope you went to the Derby away game a year later in Nov 1993 when we won 3-1 which was one of the best away performances I have ever seen us play.

Hull City away in the Championship. We never had a shot and i'm pretty sure it was 0-3 without checking stats, again without checking i'm thinking Windass done us like a kipper.
We all sat there, big Southend following that day, numb. Absolutely toilet.

There’s too many to remember really, but I will add the City Ground, getting tonked after a Gower beauty but also the Forest fans singing “4-1 and we burnt your pier”

Need a best moments thread now!

There’s too many to remember really, but I will add the City Ground, getting tonked after a Gower beauty but also the Forest fans singing “4-1 and we burnt your pier”

I didn't know they had sung that. Thanks. It's given me a laugh.

Mind you it shows why every clubs supporters sing "We hate Nottingham Forest etc..."

Back