• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Premier League and the EFL bailout

... to finish the EFL not to be exactly behind the long term future of smaller clubs they are supposed to represent, knocked me beer over as well !!

A European Super League has long been the ambition of the elite, sorry , richest clubs. The rest of the Premier League clubs would be diminished in viability and status just as the majority of the EFL clubs were when the Premier League was formed. The greed of Man U, Liverpool et al will never be satisfied even after they have cut the rest of the Premier League adrift. This is a leveling down plan, not a levelling up.

Not sure I agree.

Let them **** off to an ESL and the rest of us can have a decent domestic league properly run and not ruined by their obscene amounts of money.

There aren’t actually that many european games that truly excite and their supporters will quickly become bored with the lack of domestic rivalry.

That would really leave the ‘special arrangement’ Spammers in the ****.

Who are the top 6? Does it include Man City? A few years ago it would have included Newcastle. What about spurs? Really.
They may be the biggest 6 at the moment, but likelihood is that they wouldn’t be in 10 years time. Unless they cement it by changing the rules in their own favour.
This will ruin the premier league

Not sure I agree.

Let them **** off to an ESL and the rest of us can have a decent domestic league properly run and not ruined by their obscene amounts of money.

There aren’t actually that many european games that truly excite and their supporters will quickly become bored with the lack of domestic rivalry.

That would really leave the ‘special arrangement’ Spammers in the ****.
Do you really think they'd be invited to a European Super League? There's a reason West Ham oppose this, their supposed increased power is a lie, they actually have more power to influence things under the current system because they can team up with other mid-table clubs to block things the big clubs want. Under this new system they'd be powerless to stop anything.

Whilst they will technically be part of the 9 'special clubs' the new proposed rules say that only 6 votes are needed to pass a movement. Everton, Southampton and West Ham being on the voting panel is a PR smoke screen so that the PL can pretend they aren't giving all the power to the Big 6. In reality since only 6 yeses are needed to pass a vote the Big 6 can easily just vote through things that benefit them to the detriment of the rest of the league.

It's the 9 clubs with the longest current spell in the premier league. Arsenal, Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham, Everton and Southampton.

Since I started watching football only Everton and Arsenal have been in the top flight throughout.

Perhaps they should play in a league on their own.

City and Saints have visited the third tier during this time.

Be interesting to visit a few forums tonight: Toon army, Mackems, Wednesdayites, Villains, Bluenoses, dirty Leeds etc.

Zeuss may have a take from the Boing Boing boys forum too.......

I think I am in a minority here. I don’t care about the EPL and don’t care if the smaller EPL clubs don’t like it.
If the EPL is passing down 25% of income and if that is fact and it protected then that potentially ( we need to know the details) protects lower league teams for ever. ( as long as we have a wage cap so we don’t end up just spending it all on wages)

personally I am not worried about U21 EPL teams, in my opinion it won’t ever happen.Steve kavangh and Sean Harvey explained to a small group of us once why it would NEVER happen and I agree with them, but I understand why others are more sceptical.

Last edited:
As a fanbase we need to prepare on how we pick up the club after Ron has destroyed it. Even consider how we start again from scratch

I think I am in a minority here. I don’t care about the EPL and don’t care if the smaller EPL clubs don’t like it.
If the EPL is passing down 25% of income and if that is fact and it protected then that potentially ( we need to know the details) protects lower league teams for ever. ( as long as we have a wage cap so we don’t end up just spending it all on wages)

personally I am not worried about U21 EPL teams, in my opinion it won’t ever happen.Steve kavangh and Sean Harvey explained to a small group of us once why it would NEVER happen and I agree with them, but I understand why others are more sceptical.

What if that ends up Championship 20%, L1 3.5 % and L1 1.5%.

The yanks have always felt they could double their income even at todays silly prices. They also now that the good old Brit has been pushed far enough on seat and sky prices. They may well keep the Champions league but skip the idea of a European league and go for some world competition. Liverpool in the US or Man U in China wont interest me or you but 100 million people paying £1 to watch it on their phone in the far East adds up.

With 4 less league games and 2 or 3 less cup games that makes it possible.....If they want to expand their new world audience, how about a PL of 16, then 14.....Who's
going to stop them

Long term I think we could see PL reserve teams playing but in a watered down PL with relegation only by vote......As for us, the TV money will only last for as long as the product has its huge domestic and world market. There are all sorts who plan to take a chunk of that, so keep your eye on China is my tip.

One more thing the only thin they is guaranteed is that no matter how may times they invent new competitions or leagues, Spurs won't win anything.

Protects lowers league teams forever?

Once they have the power they can do whatever they want.

Kavanagh and Harvey?!?

That’s alright then.

Interesting today it's been reported that both the chairman of both Orient and Forest Green are for this proposal I wonder what Ron thinks?Personally football in the lower leagues needs reforming but not in a knee jerk reaction it needs to be throughly looked at.Clubs need financial help now with no strings attached after all the National league have so why not the EFL

The proposal is a real curate's egg. The worst part is the power grab by the big six. Many foreign owners have no idea and no interest in the heritage of the four league system nor its community-based foundation. You can imagine the looks of scorn they would give on visiting Roots Hall or other lower league grounds. Why should they be concerned about Southend, or Morecambe, or Crewe, or Oldham? Why should they give a thought to, for example, Leyton Orient - "There are three Premiership teams in London, why bother with Leighton (sic)?" In fact the foreign owners aren't in some cases even concerned about where their own clubs are. "Wouldn't it make sense to move Manchester United to a site next to Birmingham Airport and HS2 rail station in a 100,000 seater stadium complex where American football can also be played?" MK Dons, anyone....?

On the other hand turning the trickle down of TV money to the EFL into a steady flow is a good part. It would ensure the survival and slow growth of the four league system and benefit the Premiership too. But any idea of putting Premiership B teams into the EFL must be resisted at all costs. That includes any backdoor manoeuvres. Imagine if Ron eventually sells Southend United to West Ham's owners (I know that's not currently allowed but imagine it anyway) who are happy to keep the name Southend United and who build the fourth side of Fossetts Farm but who fill the Shrimpers team with all their own reserves and youths. Would you still support this club?

If the best parts of the proposal can be taken forward and all the bad parts be thrown away then I would support it. As it stands it's a shortcut to oblivion.....

To people like the Glasers and the Liverpool owners the formation of a European super league is just a stepping stone to establshing a world league with the lucrative Chinese and Indian markets in mind with all that entails. This is nothing to do with 'saving' the EFL, the trickle down of money whatever it might be is inconsequential to them and just a sweetener to achieve their ultimate objective.

Apparently they need a 14 club majority for the proposals to be approved at tomorrows meeting and the latest intelligence is that at least 13 clubs are against it, so hopefully dead in the water??!

If this were to go through, i have joy doubts but assuming it does.

People do realise that the big sox (as they will have the power) can vote to change the agreement and get it put through, so the 25% that is there now may not be there for ever? They can also vote to change promotion and relegation rules to suit, so god forbid that one of them has a bad season they can just say we wont have relegation.

While they say now they want to protect, the fact is they have that option.

They wat to reduce the prem by 2 teams this also means extra expenses for EFL clubs as there would be an extra away game bit then there would be extra income from a home game i guess but do the 2 offset?

there are a lot of issues with this, the biggest being that 6 clubs will run the game.

Last edited:
The problem here is the Gov is missing in action, the Premier League have failed to come up with any plan at all, clubs will start to go out og business over the next 4-5 weeks, and this is the only plan in town.

So its pointless the Gov and Premier League whinging and whining about not liking the plan when they are in a highly damaging standoff that means they are sitting on their hands providing no alternative.

There is an old saying in business about if you don't agree with something, or think something a bad idea, and want to complain then don't just criticise- bring a solution as well as the problem.

As many on here know I have little time for the EFL- a partial and poorly run organisation at best. But in this case they see the disaster just over the hill and have no choice but to support the only plan in town and which keeps EFL clubs alive.

Do you really think they'd be invited to a European Super League? There's a reason West Ham oppose this, their supposed increased power is a lie, they actually have more power to influence things under the current system because they can team up with other mid-table clubs to block things the big clubs want. Under this new system they'd be powerless to stop anything.

Whilst they will technically be part of the 9 'special clubs' the new proposed rules say that only 6 votes are needed to pass a movement. Everton, Southampton and West Ham being on the voting panel is a PR smoke screen so that the PL can pretend they aren't giving all the power to the Big 6. In reality since only 6 yeses are needed to pass a vote the Big 6 can easily just vote through things that benefit them to the detriment of the rest of the league.

I know a lot of what they say is ****, but do they really need to vote on having one?

The problem here is the Gov is missing in action, the Premier League have failed to come up with any plan at all, clubs will start to go out og business over the next 4-5 weeks, and this is the only plan in town.

So its pointless the Gov and Premier League whinging and whining about not liking the plan when they are in a highly damaging standoff that means they are sitting on their hands providing no alternative.

There is an old saying in business about if you don't agree with something, or think something a bad idea, and want to complain then don't just criticise- bring a solution as well as the problem.

As many on here know I have little time for the EFL- a partial and poorly run organisation at best. But in this case they see the disaster just over the hill and have no choice but to support the only plan in town and which keeps EFL clubs alive.
It the short term it does, but the longer term when the proposal can be changed by a vote of which the big 6 can do on their own it may not be the best option.

But yes it is the only plan in town

A lot of what they suggest does seem to make sense. I would urge caution though:

Firstly, the 25% wasn't for ever. I think I read that it is for the next 25 years. However, how many deals actually last that long? I would wager that not too far down the line the PL will try to re-negotiate. Moreover, as always the devil will be in the detail. What TV revenue is included? UK, or worldwide?

Secondly, in my years of working I've learned that no-one can guarantee that something will never happen.

Back