• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basildon Hospital is busy with Covid cases as it is now the designated Covid hospital locally. More people are being tested hence more positive results. Why do people distort facts and figures when things are really not as bad as they'd like us to believe?

Who is distorting facts exactly? While infection rates in Catalonia are (thankfully) less than half those in Madrid the rate of new infections has been tripling here recently.Indeed, I've seen it suggested that Catalonia is only a fortnight or so away from a Madrid type situation.That's precisely why the regional government here (the Generalidad) have taken urgent measures to shut down all bars and restaurants for the next fortnight.They don't want the national government in Madrid to take control of the situation again (as they did in March) and presumably impose a full national lockdown again.

Who is distorting facts exactly? While infection rates in Catalonia are (thankfully) less than half those in Madrid the rate of new infections has been tripling here recently.Indeed, I've seen it suggested that Catalonia is only a fortnight or so away from a Madrid type situation.That's precisely why the regional government here (the Generalidad) have taken urgent measures to shut down all bars and restaurants for the next fortnight.They don't want the national government in Madrid to take control of the situation again (as they did in March) and presumably impose a full national lockdown again.

Again, we have told not to turn this thread into politics but certain individuals are clearly distorting facts.

For example, BBC and Sky news started running with a story where they said Blackpool intensive care was full capacity due to Covid. It was later found out that the majority was non covid related, but because it was full they fear mongered everyone by assosicating the whole thing with the virus.

Another distortion of facts is the test and trace. They are now putting London in further restrictions, despite the fact we know that if a young girl who is at Oxford uni, but her family home is London, would test positive for Covid, They would add it to London cases list, which is absouletly ****ing ridiculous. Makes no sense

Another one, Matt Hancock keeps banging on about how his strategy is to suppress the virus until a vaccine comes, despite the fact Sarah Gilbert (who is in charge of the Oxford uni vaccine trials) told Matt not to do this as its a terrible idea, because there has never been a successful vaccine for coronavirus's. Even if they do become succesfull, it would take months to distribute and even then might not be that efficient of a vaccine.

Chalky makes some good points.
Many are repeats of earlier points and again highlighting the warping of facts which come from using simplistic statistics as yes/no answers to a complex problem.
Again the level of media reporting is dumbed down to a shock headline, and TV are making their reporting fit their agendas.
Hancock and BJ, plus most over politicians have lost the moral high ground and are "do as I say not as I do" in their leadership, hence they have lessening credibility.
The vaccines will become available, they will help, they will be phased in (quickly for the aged or vulnerable) but they will never be a complete fix everything for everyone AND folks need to adhere to BASICS.
Wash hands, keep a distance, wear a mask, stay alert, sanatise, consider and protect the vulnerable, take measures to relieve burdens on NHS, exercise, eat healthy, get BMI below 25.

Many are repeats of earlier points and again highlighting the warping of facts which come from using simplistic statistics as yes/no answers to a complex problem.
Again the level of media reporting is dumbed down to a shock headline, and TV are making their reporting fit their agendas.
Hancock and BJ, plus most over politicians have lost the moral high ground and are "do as I say not as I do" in their leadership, hence they have lessening credibility.
The vaccines will become available, they will help, they will be phased in (quickly for the aged or vulnerable) but they will never be a complete fix everything for everyone AND folks need to adhere to BASICS.
Wash hands, keep a distance, wear a mask, stay alert, sanatise, consider and protect the vulnerable, take measures to relieve burdens on NHS, exercise, eat healthy, get BMI below 25.

Agree with you on most of this apart from BMI below 25. It should be a fitness test instead..Very fit people can have a BMI above 25, including top rugby players.

Agree with you on most of this apart from BMI below 25. It should be a fitness test instead..Very fit people can have a BMI above 25, including top rugby players.
Very fit people are not the people most at risk with covid.
Your point on BMI being a so-so indicator of fitness is very valid; however in a covid world a non fit person with a BMI of 23 is a much lower risk than a non fit person with a BMI of 43.

But they have been trying for decades to try and develop a vaccine for coronavirus and have failed. Why would a rushed one suddenly become available?

But they have been trying for decades to try and develop a vaccine for coronavirus and have failed. Why would a rushed one suddenly become available?

Because the other coronaviruses had minimal impact.

There's seven known human coronaviruses. Four human coronaviruses produce symptoms that are generally mild:

Three produce symptoms that are potentially severe:
  1. Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV), β-CoV
  2. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), β-CoV
  3. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), β-CoV
MERS - human to human transmission was rare so it never reached pandemic level, and as such financing a vaccine was not workable.
SARS was rare and just died out.

Very fit people are not the people most at risk with covid.
Your point on BMI being a so-so indicator of fitness is very valid; however in a covid world a non fit person with a BMI of 23 is a much lower risk than a non fit person with a BMI of 43.
I think this is a very understated point. Forgetting about BMI specifically, clearly if you’re healthier and fitter and exercise regularly and take lots of vitamin D, your chances of recovering from Covid increase. Why aren’t we seeing a push to get the nation healthier? Why are they closing gyms in the North West that have moved mountains to make themselves “Covid safe” ..

Last edited:
I think so. This is a worldwide effort, there's 170 candidates being trialled.

They can trial as many as they like, but we all know that we’re going to end up with Bill Gates’ one, which will have the mind-controlling, nanochip technology in it, which is compatible with the big switch on of 5G.

Anyway, I’m off to fight the Hollywood & Deep State peadophiles who are hiding in underground tunnels, with their stashes of Adrenochrome. Toodle pip.

I think so. This is a worldwide effort, there's 170 candidates being trialled.

That seems to be the inevitable conclusion.

I really hope you're right. But the next question is time frame and logistics, when and how?

Just suppressing everything while trying to manoeuvre through these obstacles seems like a really, really incalculable strategy. The brewer Marstons just announced 2,150 job losses today, add that to the already vast unemployed list. I think we need to think fast on something different personally.

It seems Essex goes into Tier 2 with effect from tomorrow. Deep joy.

There seems to be some confusion around this. Apparently these restrictions don’t apply to Thurrock and Southend, as we’re not under ECC jurisdiction... or something like that.

So me, living in Grays, can carry on meeting friends at my own house, but if I travel 10-miles up the road to Basildon, to their houses, then I’m a criminal. However, we can all pile up the A127 and meet in Southend, which is perfectly legal.

Got it? Nope. Me neither.

Because the other coronaviruses had minimal impact.

There's seven known human coronaviruses. Four human coronaviruses produce symptoms that are generally mild:

Three produce symptoms that are potentially severe:
  1. Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV), β-CoV
  2. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), β-CoV
  3. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), β-CoV
MERS - human to human transmission was rare so it never reached pandemic level, and as such financing a vaccine was not workable.
SARS was rare and just died out.

SARS is an interesting one. Donald Rumsfeld bought patent for it before it existed. Three years after he become head of the US biological warfare programme it did.....What a bizarre co-incidence.

What ever you do, don't ever mention this in polite society. The gate keepers will denounce you......The truth is far to scary for some.

There seems to be some confusion around this. Apparently these restrictions don’t apply to Thurrock and Southend, as we’re not under ECC jurisdiction... or something like that.

So me, living in Grays, can carry on meeting friends at my own house, but if I travel 10-miles up the road to Basildon, to their houses, then I’m a criminal. However, we can all pile up the A127 and meet in Southend, which is perfectly legal.

Got it? Nope. Me neither.
Looks like you're right @GBJ. I've checked the Southend Council web site and they show us as still at Level 1 medium. That may change tomorrow but I would think if it was likely, the council would have alluded to it.

Part of the statement by Finch...

“We understand that the move to the High local covid alert level may affect people’s lives and businesses and understand the very strong feelings about this. However, we have a duty of care to the people of Essex, and we firmly believe that this is the best route to minimise disruptions, to save lives – not just for those with the virus, but for other patients as well – and to protect businesses”

What a load of bullsh*t!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back