• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This lockdown is definitely not the same as the last lockdown. I went to ASDA shoebury yesterday at dinner time. It was absolutely rammed. There were no restrictions like last time of how many can come in. So no queue. All the isles were open, and lots of people down every popular isle. Then on the roads, it was as busy as before the lockdown.

We thought we'd drive down the seafront yesterday afternoon, grab a takeaway coffee and listen to the radio commentary on a relatively empty parking area.

God, were we wrong! Seafront was packed, not a space to be had around Rossi's, queues at all the kiosks and throngs of people walking and cycling, enjoying a beautiful afternoon. We ended up at East Beach with a horrid cup of coffee from the van there (when did the cafe go?), until one of four traffic wardens we saw out and about, turned up.

We thought we'd drive down the seafront yesterday afternoon, grab a takeaway coffee and listen to the radio commentary on a relatively empty parking area.

God, were we wrong! Seafront was packed, not a space to be had around Rossi's, queues at all the kiosks and throngs of people walking and cycling, enjoying a beautiful afternoon. We ended up at East Beach with a horrid cup of coffee from the van there (when did the cafe go?), until one of four traffic wardens we saw out and about, turned up.

It burnt down many years ago. I found this for you, from the Echo. Explains it better than I can.

A NEW beachfront cafe with sweeping estuary views could open next summer at Shoebury East Beach, it has been revealed.

Southend Council has been working on plans for one or two new cafes on the councilowned site on Shoebury East Beach after losing patience with the former leaseholder.

The council exercised its legal right to take back the lease last year after plans for a waterside restaurant failed to materialise.
In November, the council suggested up to three kiosks could be accommodated on the site of the original cafe which burnt down more than 13 years ago.

The authority has since been weighing up the options and liaising with residents before going ahead with plans for at least one cafe.
Ron Woodley, deputy leader of the council, said: “Plans are being drawn up to develop the old cafe site with one or two cafes.
“We’re not quite sure yet but I have said I want it up and running by next summer.
“Either the council will build it and let it out or someone else might build it but I prefer that we build it because it will bring in revenue for us.”

The work will form part of plans to tidy up the area and install better lighting in East Beach car park, used both by visitors and commuters using nearby Shoebury train station.
Mr Woodley added: “We recognise that East Beach has been neglected for a long time.

“We want to resurface the car park and add a new path from the car park to the High Street so there will be a lit path to the station.
“We have the windsurfers there and the boats that come in and go out so this will complete the whole package and make the whole thing more attractive.”

This lockdown is definitely not the same as the last lockdown. I went to ASDA shoebury yesterday at dinner time. It was absolutely rammed. There were no restrictions like last time of how many can come in. So no queue. All the isles were open, and lots of people down every popular isle. Then on the roads, it was as busy as before the lockdown.

Similar experience at my local supermarket,Supersol,last night.God how I needed a strong beer after that cup defeat. :Angry:

Thanks @THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK nothing new there though, just a children's play area. And the car park was shocking - if you actually went out the way you were supposed to, there were actual craters to negotiate!

Yes, it's a total mess there. Gets really busy on nice days as well. The plans to re-surface and build the cafe are for next summer. Whether that will be delayed again because of the current situation, we shall see.

Yet at Tesco Mayflower Basildon the upstairs floor was closed for some reason. So you could still buy loads of essential tat from the Christmas isle but couldn't buy any clothing.

Clothing shops are closed because they don't want people trying them on and then putting them back on the shelves for the next person to possibly become infected.

It's unlikely you'll be trying on any Christmas decorations, unless there's saucy santa outfit...

It burnt down many years ago. I found this for you, from the Echo. Explains it better than I can.

A NEW beachfront cafe with sweeping estuary views could open next summer at Shoebury East Beach, it has been revealed.

Southend Council has been working on plans for one or two new cafes on the councilowned site on Shoebury East Beach after losing patience with the former leaseholder.

The council exercised its legal right to take back the lease last year after plans for a waterside restaurant failed to materialise.
In November, the council suggested up to three kiosks could be accommodated on the site of the original cafe which burnt down more than 13 years ago.

The authority has since been weighing up the options and liaising with residents before going ahead with plans for at least one cafe.
Ron Woodley, deputy leader of the council, said: “Plans are being drawn up to develop the old cafe site with one or two cafes.
“We’re not quite sure yet but I have said I want it up and running by next summer.
“Either the council will build it and let it out or someone else might build it but I prefer that we build it because it will bring in revenue for us.”

The work will form part of plans to tidy up the area and install better lighting in East Beach car park, used both by visitors and commuters using nearby Shoebury train station.
Mr Woodley added: “We recognise that East Beach has been neglected for a long time.

“We want to resurface the car park and add a new path from the car park to the High Street so there will be a lit path to the station.
“We have the windsurfers there and the boats that come in and go out so this will complete the whole package and make the whole thing more attractive.”

People wonder why FF has taken so long. This is a straight forward decision to replace the only place to get food or drink at Shoebury East beach and 13 years later it still hasn't happened......There isn't even a debate over planning, access or parking. You are only replacing what was burnt down.

People wonder why FF has taken so long. This is a straight forward decision to replace the only place to get food or drink at Shoebury East beach and 13 years later it still hasn't happened......There isn't even a debate over planning, access or parking. You are only replacing what was burnt down.

It's the appalling nature of Southend Council. They dither and change their minds all the time. The Councillors can't agree, and all seem to pull in different directions. Look at that silly multi million pound museum idea. Look how many ideas they have come up with for the end of the pier. Meanwhile, the years drag on and nothing happens. All talk, no action, and ideas that appeal to them, but not the general public.

Good, this lockdown is being given the respect it deserves. It is pointless and based on false data. I don't blame people for losing patience.

Good, this lockdown is being given the respect it deserves. It is pointless and based on false data. I don't blame people for losing patience.

Yep, the official Office for Statistics Regulation released a statement on twitter the other day they were not happy and plan to talk to the gov about the reasoning for a second lockdown. Because as you say, it was based on extremely manipulated data.

Not to go too political, but rumours swirling that Vallance might be going. Which would be welcomed, as his recent scaremongering is bordering on being criminally negligent.

I was out cycling at the weekend and there were thousands of people between Leigh and East Beach. Little social distancing.

Leigh skate park was by far the worst offender.

I was out cycling at the weekend and there were thousands of people between Leigh and East Beach. Little social distancing.

Leigh skate park was by far the worst offender.

You have to find something to do with no football or pubs.

I was watching the Daily Politics show when they mentioned this. They said that the UK government had ordered 30 million doses which is enough for 15 million people. The obvious question being why does each person need two doses? Or have the government actually ordered 15 million doses (or 30 million half doses)?

Last edited:
I was watching the Daily Politics show when then mentioned this. They said that the UK government had ordered 30 million doses which is enough for 15 million people. The obvious question being why does each person need two doses? Or have the government actually ordered 15 million doses (or 30 million half doses)?
Needing two doses isn't a surprise. Most vaccines in development are being trialled with a booster arm and it seems like the early results suggest that this was the correct approach. 90% is a fantastic result, well above expectations. Supply chain is still going to be a massive massive challenge and it could still take several months before things start to normalise, but ****ing hell this feels like a massive relief and light at the end of the tunnel.

Needing two doses isn't a surprise. Most vaccines in development are being trialled with a booster arm and it seems like the early results suggest that this was the correct approach. 90% is a fantastic result, well above expectations. Supply chain is still going to be a massive massive challenge and it could still take several months before things start to normalise, but ****ing hell this feels like a massive relief and light at the end of the tunnel.

Let's hope so.

I assume the rationale behind it will be to vaccinate the highest risk people first.

It would then hopefully follow that the rest of the population will be allowed to get on with our lives before we all ****ing die of old age.

Any idea of timeacale should this be the way forward?

Thanks. I suppose it's partly a case of semantics. If they had just said "enough for 15 million people" there wouldn't be that question.

I think there's also more to worry about than just supply chain. I suspect there's going to be a lot of arguing (at a macro and micro level) over who gets it first. I know in general they're saying people at risk and people on the front line, but in both of those categories there's going to be issues. For example, do Firemen count as front line? Do the Police? And once you've decided that the Police do count, are we talking the constables who are actually out and about, or the chief inspectors who spend their time behind a desk? I think we all know who should, but we also know who will.

Another question for you: the headlines also said this vaccine is 90% effective. How does that compare with other vaccines for other viruses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back