• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ernie Shepherd

Very much so, he was a tremendously nice person (the polar opposite of his predecessor)- probably too much so to be a highly successful manager. Was lucky enough to be afforded a few lifts back on the team coach from (and in one case to) away games thanks to him.
He also was in charge during the most enjoyable season I have had watching Southend, not the most successful but the most entertaining. He brought in players who were to become (overused word alert) legends at the club.

The failure to get promotion weighed heavily on him and even after his resignation, he stayed on at the club to ease Geoff Hudson into the role. Hudson turned out to be a poor choice lasting just a few months and Ernie briefly stepped in whilst Rowley was being lined up.

You talk about being left stranded at Brentford when the coach went off without you, well we could really go off topic here with the recollections of six of us being left at Bradford City by a coach driver who was over-keen to get home !!
I am sure that had Ernie taken that Southend team up they would of been more than capable to of held there own in Div 3 .

Hi Folks...its Bev here...Ernie Shepherds extremely proud daughter. Yes he was a lovely man. I've been reminiscing recently with some supporters from yesteryear.... They were great times. Football was a different world then. I'm still in touch with Tony Bentley and the Watson family such were the lasting friendships made. Roots Hall was my childhood playground... ( mum Sylvia worked in the office so it was a real family affair ) I remember sledging down the terraces in '63 when football was cancelled because of the snow... I joined in with training sessions running round the pitch or accompanying the lads to Priory Park or Shoebury Boom.... I learned to drive Sheps car around the car park as a 12 year old... on Saturday mornings I'd go with Shep to put the kit out in the dressing room. I'd watch the games from behind the goal or in the paddock by the tunnel. I went to away games on the supporters coach or by train... ( and by plane to Blackpool !) A lovely lady called Dawn would look after me !. I remember Mrs Layzell who washed the kit.... Uncle Sid ( Broomfield) who I saw quite often until his death...yeah great memories thanks to Shep. He was just as well thought of in Dubai where his 3 month stint lasted for 12 years with Al Wasl Club! As well as his football coaching prowess he was well known for his treatment of injuries even summoned to work his magic on Princess Anne and Mark Phillips when they were in the Emirate show jumping!..... Yeah I'm incredibly proud of my amazing Dad ! Thank you for all your kind words .

Here's one in that era which was described as a reserve fixture, possibly because the final was carried over from the previous season.

A 6:15 pm kick off in late August, this match was abandoned at half-time of extra-time due to it being too dark, and the trophy shared.

View attachment 13428
And (in Mick’s post #10) who was at no. 2 for West Ham? I think that was John, father of our Kevin.

Last edited:
Hi Folks...its Bev here...Ernie Shepherds extremely proud daughter. Yes he was a lovely man. I've been reminiscing recently with some supporters from yesteryear.... They were great times. Football was a different world then. I'm still in touch with Tony Bentley and the Watson family such were the lasting friendships made. Roots Hall was my childhood playground... ( mum Sylvia worked in the office so it was a real family affair ) I remember sledging down the terraces in '63 when football was cancelled because of the snow... I joined in with training sessions running round the pitch or accompanying the lads to Priory Park or Shoebury Boom.... I learned to drive Sheps car around the car park as a 12 year old... on Saturday mornings I'd go with Shep to put the kit out in the dressing room. I'd watch the games from behind the goal or in the paddock by the tunnel. I went to away games on the supporters coach or by train... ( and by plane to Blackpool !) A lovely lady called Dawn would look after me !. I remember Mrs Layzell who washed the kit.... Uncle Sid ( Broomfield) who I saw quite often until his death...yeah great memories thanks to Shep. He was just as well thought of in Dubai where his 3 month stint lasted for 12 years with Al Wasl Club! As well as his football coaching prowess he was well known for his treatment of injuries even summoned to work his magic on Princess Anne and Mark Phillips when they were in the Emirate show jumping!..... Yeah I'm incredibly proud of my amazing Dad ! Thank you for all your kind words .
Reading that one realises that football was most definitely "a different ball game" in days gone by.
It has changed almost beyond recognition now and that is not necessarily a good thing.

And (in Mick’s post #10) who was at no. 2 for West Ham? I think that was John, father of our Kevin.

Other big names in the visitors line-up include Dave Sexton and FA Cup winner and European Cup Winners Cup winner, Ken Brown. Moore was not a 14 year old Bobby, but Brian.

Back