• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Custard Splat Podcast

Custard Splat lads,
MM is clearly out of his depth due to the circumstances i.e. the rot that lays deep into the bones of our football club.

This manager choice had to be right for the future of this club and he employs some young manager with no football league experience !!!!!!!!

Think you said, who wouldnt be out of their depth, Sturrock is a 'proven' example how an experienced manager can turn a shocking situation into something good with contacts/using experience and knowing the teams he plays against!

We needed a journyman manager to handle this situation and MM is not that person

At the end of the day, he's the manager (fact) and he should take some of the responsibility for the results

Great chat though lads and highlighting areas to debate, keep it up

Custard Splat lads,
MM is clearly out of his depth due to the circumstances i.e. the rot that lays deep into the bones of our football club.

This manager choice had to be right for the future of this club and he employs some young manager with no football league experience !!!!!!!!

Think you said, who wouldnt be out of their depth, Sturrock is a 'proven' example how an experienced manager can turn a shocking situation into something good with contacts/using experience and knowing the teams he plays against!

We needed a journyman manager to handle this situation and MM is not that person

At the end of the day, he's the manager (fact) and he should take some of the responsibility for the results

Those contacts are only good if you can use them to sign and register players! Good contacts doesn’t lift an embargo.

Custard Splat lads,

There's certainly an argument that his appointment was at the wrong time or wrong all together depending on your opinion.

But as @Ricey says, Sturrock wouldn't be able to use his contacts in this situation. There's so many factors to consider in this ****show of a situation we find ourselves in.

I don't disagree that he should take responsibility for on the pitch as such. Would a more experienced manager have seen the Exeter game out for example? Possibly, and FWIW I think that result has absolutely killed us mentally. I just feel that blaming the manager for what we are witnessing is massively letting Ron off the hook. This is on him

That would be one I’d definitely tune in for. I’d love to hear his side of things.
He's probably well out of our reach. In hindsight I was a bit overly critical of him towards the end and agree it would be good to hear his side. Although he's probably too professional to go into detail about a lot of the issues. Still gutted it didn't work out for him to be honest

He's probably well out of our reach. In hindsight I was a bit overly critical of him towards the end and agree it would be good to hear his side. Although he's probably too professional to go into detail about a lot of the issues. Still gutted it didn't work out for him to be honest
Yep same. He had to go but it was a proper shame.

I think he'd be a fascinating interviewee. Whilst he would likely hold back on some things out of professionalism I feel he's also likely to be the most honest about his failures. I couldn't see his predecessor or Molesley's predecessor being quite as candid about their own shortcomings - but maybe you are about to surprise us!

There's certainly an argument that his appointment was at the wrong time or wrong all together depending on your opinion.

But as @Ricey says, Sturrock wouldn't be able to use his contacts in this situation. There's so many factors to consider in this ****show of a situation we find ourselves in.

I don't disagree that he should take responsibility for on the pitch as such. Would a more experienced manager have seen the Exeter game out for example? Possibly, and FWIW I think that result has absolutely killed us mentally. I just feel that blaming the manager for what we are witnessing is massively letting Ron off the hook. This is on him

The gutting thing about Exeter was we did it do right. Compare that game to the Lincoln game last year where we were ragged as anything and hanging on by our fingernails (Mitchell-Nelson in midfield FFS) and even Bristol Rovers with a 2 goal lead seemed more franctic. Against Exeter we were so professional in seeing out the game. We ran the ball down the line to the cornerflag, we took the sting out of it, we looked under control and not like a team who hadn't won in 7. We did everything right and Exeter weren't threatening and then out of nothing they sucker-punched us with a worldie finish in injury time of injury time.

Molesley is blameless IMO for Exeter but as you say that result killed us mentally and maybe there is where his inexperience showed (although it's not as if any of the previous 5 managers were able to stop long losing streaks).

The gutting thing about Exeter was we did it do right. Compare that game to the Lincoln game last year where we were ragged as anything and hanging on by our fingernails (Mitchell-Nelson in midfield FFS) and even Bristol Rovers with a 2 goal lead seemed more franctic. Against Exeter we were so professional in seeing out the game. We ran the ball down the line to the cornerflag, we took the sting out of it, we looked under control and not like a team who hadn't won in 7. We did everything right and Exeter weren't threatening and then out of nothing they sucker-punched us with a worldie finish in injury time of injury time.

Molesley is blameless IMO for Exeter but as you say that result killed us mentally and maybe there is where his inexperience showed (although it's not as if any of the previous 5 managers were able to stop long losing streaks).
Exeter probably a bad example then as I actually didn't watch it ?

Paul Clark would be awesome - I don't think I have ever disagreed with his diagnosis post game and alarmingly during games. Always feel as though he can't say what he wants to on BBC and would speak his true mind on a different platform!

?

So many questions! This is the centre-half from the Southend teams that beat both Lineker and Rooney, that was part of two Southend double promotion sides, that scored double figures past Aldershot (notching one himself)

I reckon you could do a whole podcast on his diving header at Dean Court from outside the area alone.

Would love to hear some comparisons between 1989-92 sides and the 2003-06 sides and also about the belief in those sides. At what stage did they think they were going to do it?

Is Ronaldo still in his pocket?

Did that prick in the crowd at Chester who was racially abusing Lewis Hunt accept his invitation to meet up in the carpark afterwards?

Freddy or Stanley? Barrett or Clarky? Tilly or Webb? Ron or Jobson?

Did Ian Butterworth apologise for the tackle that broke his leg?

Did he ever buy anything from Dave Martin?

Who would win if the 1990-91 side played the 2004-05 side?

What were his thoughts when he saw Duncan Jupp through on goal?

If he could relive one day from his career what would it be?

?

So many questions! This is the centre-half from the Southend teams that beat both Lineker and Rooney, that was part of two Southend double promotion sides, that scored double figures past Aldershot (notching one himself)

I reckon you could do a whole podcast on his diving header at Dean Court from outside the area alone.

Would love to hear some comparisons between 1989-92 sides and the 2003-06 sides and also about the belief in those sides. At what stage did they think they were going to do it?

Is Ronaldo still in his pocket?

Did that prick in the crowd at Chester who was racially abusing Lewis Hunt accept his invitation to meet up in the carpark afterwards?

Freddy or Stanley? Barrett or Clarky? Tilly or Webb? Ron or Jobson?

Did Ian Butterworth apologise for the tackle that broke his leg?

Did he ever buy anything from Dave Martin?

Who would win if the 1990-91 side played the 2004-05 side?

What were his thoughts when he saw Duncan Jupp through on goal?

If he could relive one day from his career what would it be?

that’s the questions sorted tbf

The episode with Spencer Prior is now live!

Last edited:
Back