• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have you correct on your comments until the highlighted part.
I doubt they are making a decision, I am suspecting it is more a "couldn't give a toss" and a "so what" ignorance and "feck you all" life style of self.
A few may be misguided crusaders of liberty and following the teachings of FB Karen and Youtube Kev.

I agree that is the reason for most behaviour but it's still a decison they are taking to behave that way.

I know at least 4 people including someone in my own family who all say they had Covid at the back end of 2019 before the 'official' start date of covid.

Just to make this more interesting, in Nov 18, a month after returning from Florida, i went down with the same symptoms as most Covid patients did last year.
I had 11 blood tests (!), Cat Scan, & an Ultra Sound scan.
A month later a Consultant told me at Southend Hosp, they couldn't indentify what i had, but they 'thought' it might have been Glandular fever?. Who knows??.
But i'd never been as ill as i was then for a month, in my whole life.

They are not brutal regimes in places like Greece and only a few hundred have died there. The evidence from around the world proves there is more to it than just hands,face, space....Otherwise crowded poor countries like India would have millions dead.
Screenshot (89).png

Just to make this more interesting, in Nov 18, a month after returning from Florida, i went down with the same symptoms as most Covid patients did last year.
I had 11 blood tests (!), Cat Scan, & an Ultra Sound scan.
A month later a Consultant told me at Southend Hosp, they couldn't indentify what i had, but they 'thought' it might have been Glandular fever?. Who knows??.
But i'd never been as ill as i was then for a month, in my whole life.

Thanks. The earliest case I know of is the son of some friends of mine. He calls himself patient zero, that was back in August 19. He came back from a trip to guess where....China.

As he is in his early 20s he went straight to a festival Reading?.. feeling unwell and spent the whole time in the tent, then recovering at mum and dads.

He didn't go to hospital as they put it dow to one of those travel 'bugs' you just pick up.

The other 3 cases in personally know were all about the same time as yours, possibly staring October 19. They are all in their 50's...All say the same as you never been as ill with anything before and 2 of them are very well travelled.

These sort of coments are not necessary and have to stop (not just from you there are others as well so not a personal dig)

Likening someone not wearing a mask to a mass murderer is disgusting. They are making their decison based upon their own views or simply refusing to believe the reasons for doing so. Of course they should be stopped from entering places where you need to wear one, of course they should be challenged in a sensible way to ask them why. They should not be called mass murderers.

It's this sort of thing that shuts down debate and will make certain people go against the narrative even more.

Please, please stop the inflamatory language. We are all human beings struggling with this situation. Some more than others.

Thank you, I'm getting a bit sick of some of the personal insults on this thread. We're all Shrimpers after all. This sensationalist, sanctimonious guilt-tripping isn't helpful. COVID isn't the only thing in the world that matters.

Listen, I have been following the rules except for sometimes not wearing a mask in shops. I would be happy to wear one if I felt they made a difference, but there is little evidence that they do. I hardly go out apart from that and walking the dog, I work from home, so the chances of me carrying COVID and then spreading it by walking past someone in the supermarket are next to zero, I would say. And as Massimo actually acknowledged in one of his replies, there are non-scientific reasons why masks have been imposed.

Thanks, if india had then same rates as us there would be 2million dead rather than 151,000.

Having had a couple of trips there I would expect there rates to be higher as social distancing is impossible.
If age is a factor, and I believe it is, as is obesity, then the demographic of India may play a large part.
And the collection of statistics is a variable maybe?

Thank you, I'm getting a bit sick of some of the personal insults on this thread. We're all Shrimpers after all. This sensationalist, sanctimonious guilt-tripping isn't helpful. COVID isn't the only thing in the world that matters.

Listen, I have been following the rules except for sometimes not wearing a mask in shops. I would be happy to wear one if I felt they made a difference, but there is little evidence that they do. I hardly go out apart from that and walking the dog, I work from home, so the chances of me carrying COVID and then spreading it by walking past someone in the supermarket are next to zero, I would say. And as Massimo actually acknowledged in one of his replies, there are non-scientific reasons why masks have been imposed.

You're welcome to my comments.

I would still disagree with you about not wearing a mask in shops. I don't like it either but do it in case it helps someone else. It is the recommendation so you should do it IMO.

If you got challenged and refused entry i assume you would have no problem with that?

If age is a factor, and I believe it is, as is obesity, then the demographic of India may play a large part.
And the collection of statistics is a variable maybe?

I've no doubt stats cant be relied on, as you know I rarely mention them on football threads. As for the age factor, our children are catching it in schools and as are footballers.

They certainly don't live with the same safety culture we do or have the medical care. for example we have about 2,000 deaths on the roads per year and they have more than 300,000.....Why would it be different for Covid?

I've no doubt stats cant be relied on, as you know I rarely mention them on football threads. As for the age factor, our children are catching it in schools and as are footballers.

They certainly don't live with the same safety culture we do or have the medical care. for example we have about 2,000 deaths on the roads per year and they have more than 300,000.....Why would it be different for Covid?

Anybody can catch SARS-COV-2, that isn’t the point: who goes on to develop COVID-19 and how severe that illness is, is the point. The vast majority of severe disease, which might lead to hospitalisation and sadly death, happens in the over 80s or those with underlying health conditions or one or two other factors. This is part of the reason why swathes of Africa and south East Asia have lower instances of severe disease relative to population: they have lower life expectancy, lower average age of population and with far lower available testing too they have better stats. However, that does not mean this is not widespread there - just that those affected are less likely to have been tested, less likely to have severe disease or even show symptoms due to their age.

It's absolutely terrifying. I really worry that beyond this we're going to have NHS staff members who are basically suffering from PTSD and other mental health issues because the cumulative impact day by day is brutal and they must be seeing things that seem like being in a warzone.
Really glad this study has been conducted and it seems to be getting media attention. Some of the statistics are really concerning. We need to ensure frontline workers get the help and support they need

Anybody can catch SARS-COV-2, that isn’t the point: who goes on to develop COVID-19 and how severe that illness is, is the point. The vast majority of severe disease, which might lead to hospitalisation and sadly death, happens in the over 80s or those with underlying health conditions or one or two other factors. This is part of the reason why swathes of Africa and south East Asia have lower instances of severe disease relative to population: they have lower life expectancy, lower average age of population and with far lower available testing too they have better stats. However, that does not mean this is not widespread there - just that those affected are less likely to have been tested, less likely to have severe disease or even show symptoms due to their age.

That's a really good and interesting article. One thing it lacks a bit is a theory behind why they got it right, and my belief having spoken to friends in Nigeria is that the recent ebola outbreak and other experiences of infectious disease outbreaks means they understood the potential consequences quickly, plus the WHO has people on the ground in parts of Africa which boosted their quick response.

It's similar in Asia, where SARS and MERS are in the recent memory and therefore in some places people wear masks in public and both the government and public know the importance of reacting very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really good and interesting article. One thing it lacks a bit is a theory behind why they got it right, and my belief having spoken to friends in Nigeria is that the recent ebola outbreak and other experiences of infectious disease outbreaks means they understood the potential consequences quickly, plus the WHO has people on the ground in parts of Africa which boosted their quick response.

It's similar in Asia, where SARS and MERS are in the recent memory and therefore in some places people wear masks in public and both the government and public know the importance of reacting very quickly.

It is interesting because I work (albeit remotely) for a company that have a big presence out in Lagos and spend a lot of time talking to our people out there, one in particular. He has a wife and two small boys aged 4 and 5. According to him, he's **** scared because no-one is keeping to the rules or observing any protocols. He has to go into the office but has given up using public transport (in favour of his car) because no-one on the trains etc. is taking this seriously.

Obviously this is only anecdotal...

It is interesting because I work (albeit remotely) for a company that have a big presence out in Lagos and spend a lot of time talking to our people out there, one in particular. He has a wife and two small boys aged 4 and 5. According to him, he's **** scared because no-one is keeping to the rules or observing any protocols. He has to go into the office but has given up using public transport (in favour of his car) because no-one on the trains etc. is taking this seriously.

Obviously this is only anecdotal...
The main thing is that they were one of the first regions to ground flights and restrict movement. This limited the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in the community in the early stages.

Agree that it's pretty chaotic on the ground and that there are many other issues that people face. I was chatting to my friend and I asked him about COVID-19 and he said it's hard to follow the rules when your electricity has been out for 10 hours and your boss is hassling you for an overdue report, and he's relatively wealthy and not someone with a livelihood at risk.

We are seeing exponential growth currently across some African countries so it's definitely not over.

So, an update. The paper echo is catching up. Today, they finally have the Asda Shoebury Covid story, about 20 testing positive and 90 self isolating. The main front page story is, headlines of...Blood on their hands. A bit dramatic, but it's again about the Covid conspiracy theorists who are putting silly posters up about the side effects of wearing a face mask.
12219032.jpg

They are now putting them up on the seafront areas.
Southend A&E is overwhelmed with many staff not able to fulfil their shifts, with exhausted staff, and many off sick. Leeblue, will possibly tell us more from the frontline(I hope he's O.K.)
The government have said they may have to use Hotels, for people at the end of recovery of Covid, to free up more hospital beds.

So, an update. The paper echo is catching up. Today, they finally have the Asda Shoebury Covid story, about 20 testing positive and 90 self isolating. The main front page story is, headlines of...Blood on their hands. A bit dramatic, but it's again about the Covid conspiracy theorists who are putting silly posters up about the side effects of wearing a face mask.
12219032.jpg

They are now putting them up on the seafront areas.
Southend A&E is overwhelmed with many staff not able to fulfil their shifts, with exhausted staff, and many off sick. Leeblue, will possibly tell us more from the frontline(I hope he's O.K.)
The government have said they may have to use Hotels, for people at the end of recovery of Covid, to free up more hospital beds.
Can't be true - I think we heard on here a few weeks ago that Covid wasn't being transmitted in supermarkets.

This is the downside of social media, the ability for disinformation or extreme views to become mainstream are I think substantially heightened.

I think this is part of the problem, people say they are following the rules, but there's an exception here and an exception there, which really means they're not following the rules.

Last edited:
Can't be true - I think we heard on here a few weeks ago that Covid wasn't being transmitted in supermarkets.

This is the downside of social media, the ability for disinformation or extreme views to become mainstream are I think substantially heightened.
That isn't what was being said a few weeks ago. What was being said is that the risk of customers being infected whilst at a supermarket is very low (which this story doesn't contradict, all the confirmed cases in the Asda are staff members).

There was someone saying that the low personal risk of infection justified him not wearing a mask to which several other people correctly pointed out that just because he wasn't at risk didn't mean the staff (who have to deal with hundreds of potentially infected people a day) weren't at risk if everyone wasn't wearing a mask, so it's still responsible to wear one for their sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back