• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Retro Shirts now available!

Voted for my favourite (94-95) although surely its too soon to have a top on there from 2015. How old does a top have to be before it classed as "Retro"

Only thing with that one was the red in it.
It was much the same with me when yellow almost predominated the shirt in the 90s'.
Blue is the colour; football is the game...

Scarfs and bobble hats in the 70s were red , white and blue

The colours that I personally still today believe are Southend United's true colours

Scarfs and bobble hats in the 70s were red , white and blue

The colours that I personally still today believe are Southend United's true colours

Always a discussion point this - original colours (as in 1906) were royal blue shirts, with black collars and cuffs (snigger), white shorts and white socks.

We last wore this in 1998/99 with Progressive Printing as the sponsor.

When I first started my pilgrimages to Roots Hall, we were in the royal blue and yellow phase - but personally I prefer the navy blue and white phase we are in now... Bit smarter.

For me the stand out shirts have been the hi-tec sponsored home kit circa 89/90 or the firholm kit that preceded it. However brace yourself for a hot take. I think the current home shirt is the best one....ever. it's beautiful

Always a discussion point this - original colours (as in 1906) were royal blue shirts, with black collars and cuffs (snigger), white shorts and white socks.

We last wore this in 1998/99 with Progressive Printing as the sponsor.

When I first started my pilgrimages to Roots Hall, we were in the royal blue and yellow phase - but personally I prefer the navy blue and white phase we are in now... Bit smarter.

Would love to see us have a go at navy, red and white. Or navy and 'old gold'.

The Shrimpers Trust poll result on the next two retro shirts to be produced is now out! The '76-'78 shirt and the '85-86 shirt were the clear winners, and encouragingly over 250 votes cast overall, so there is a decent bit of interest out there re it all. Details on design etc are now being finalised, SUEPA models warmed up, and we should be able to go live on this in about four weeks - we'll keep you posted.

retroshirtvotewinners01-250.jpg

The Shrimpers Trust poll result on the next two retro shirts to be produced is now out! The '76-'78 shirt and the '85-86 shirt were the clear winners, and encouragingly over 250 votes cast overall, so there is a decent bit of interest out there re it all. Details on design etc are now being finalised, SUEPA models warmed up, and we should be able to go live on this in about four weeks - we'll keep you posted.

View attachment 14141

Massive question now - which number to go on the back of each???

I'm sure @OldBlueLady can give an opinion on one...

View attachment 14141
Brilliant news. I forgot to vote but 1976-1978 would have been mine as that is when I started going as a kid. Will definitely be getting one.

Getting quite nostalgic about the 70s at the moment as I’m on my 3rd run of TV series Life on Mars. Life seemed much more innocent and straightforward back then.

Brilliant news. I forgot to vote but 1976-1978 would have been mine as that is when I started going as a kid. Will definitely be getting one.

Getting quite nostalgic about the 70s at the moment as I’m on my 3rd run of TV series Life on Mars. Life seemed much more innocent and straightforward back then.

I am going to order one, The question is short sleeve or long sleeve ?

Massive question now - which number to go on the back of each???

I'm sure @OldBlueLady can give an opinion on one...
Back then, of course, shirt numbers went with position - it's not quite my favourite shirt, that is the one that preceded it, worn by Terry Nicholls, Stuart Parker and Peter Silvester amongst others.

Thanks Bexley and Blueanorak, all comments on design welcome. We do our best to try and get as close as we can to the originals but are unlikely to be able to ever fully match. Without information on specifics like pantone colours and vector images we have to have a go at trying to get as close as we can which is not always that easy - but in the end they are 'Retro' shirts and not replicas.

The feedback we've had on the Splat and 80/81 shirts has without exception been excellent (one or two teething issues re delivery times though in these tricky times that is to some extent not unexpected and we've always chased up where needed). The guys at Chablais Sport are always helpful too.

Looking forward to the 76/8 and 85/6 shirts coming off the line, they are with the manufacturers factory at the moment for the initial samples which will first off go to our SUEPA models. If all goes to plan I hope we'll be launching them both, PLUS another shirt as a Brucie Bonus, at the end of Feb

Without information on specifics like pantone colours and vector images we have to have a go at trying to get as close as we can which is not always that easy - but in the end they are 'Retro' shirts and not replicas.

Annoyingly, that image I posted does come from a vector file: I spent ages creating it. Unfortunately, unless I can find someone who has a RISC OS computer that runs ArtWorks, I have no way of accessing the vector file.

View attachment 14141
IIRC the 76-78 shirt doesn’t have the little Bukta ‘ticks’ down the arms? Only stripes...

Any plans for a shirt from the 79-80 season?

Last edited:
IIRC the 76-78 shirt doesn’t have the little Bukta ‘ticks’ down the arms? Only stripes...

Any plans for a shirt from the 79-80 season?

Not yet but you never know, it is perhaps too similar to the 76-78 one and there are others we'd like to do too but we'll see and if there are enough comments about it at the time of releasing 76-78 we may see if a modification is possible.

Back