• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a lighter note.

My dad shuffled through the pearly gates in Southend hospital last Saturday. He was 90!

Fortunately he wasn't on Boris 5pm rollcall. However I did chuckle when the registrar called to say the COD is down as 'Community acquired Pneumonia'

Seriousky....he had been well locked down for 10 months
Lighter note? 'My dad shuffled off'. I've got to say that did make me smile in a sad way. It reminded me of when my dad made the journey at 93. My mum rang very early morning and said 'he's gone', I repied 'I'll be over right away mum', she then said 'he's sat on the toilet and I'm desperate for the loo' !! Sad but ironically funny as well.

Sympathy to you and your family over your loss mate.

Lighter note? 'My dad shuffled off'. I've got to say that did make me smile in a sad way. It reminded me of when my dad made the journey at 93. My mum rang very early morning and said 'he's gone', I repied 'I'll be over right away mum', she then said 'he's sat on the toilet and I'm desperate for the loo' !! Sad but ironically funny as well.

Thanks mate.

It's sad but as with your memory of your mum's call of nature these things still make us chuckle.

When the father in law passed he gave one last horrible death rattle. At which point the Mrs shouted "f**k". She still chuckles as he would have, that it was the last thing she said to him.

Last edited:

I suspect this is a more common way of passing than is generally realised .Certainly our late father finished his life that way.Ask Rob Noxious.I was out at the cinema at the time.

This will make interesting reading for fans of that utterly ridiculous piece from a small ‘think tank’ in Brighton, quoted earlier in this thread, which lavished praise on how Africa has excelled so mightily in its’ COVID-19 response.

I see Egypt are paying homage to the pyramids by mirroring the shape in their excess death graphs

1613998744658.png

From very early on in the pandemic the comparing, understanding and belief in graphs and figures from other countries has been staggering.
The comparing of "apples and pears " data, the absurd failures of investigative journalism and analytical work have been negligent.
The idea that China was open and transparent on events?

@Supershrimper is correct to see the joke in Eygpt's graph and figures.

Last edited:
From very early on in the pandemic the comparing, understanding and belief in graphs and figures form other countries has been staggering.
The comparing of "apples and pears " data
, the absurd failures of investigative journalism and analytical work have been negligent.

Agreed but at least nobody's holding up Sweden as an example to emulate anymore.

From very early on in the pandemic the comparing, understanding and belief in graphs and figures form other countries has been staggering.
The comparing of "apples and pears " data, the absurd failures of investigative journalism and analytical work have been negligent.

China, say no more, we'd never know the deaths from them.

As for 2nd and 3rd world Countries, they just don't have a Medical or sceintific setup to register Covid deaths. I should imagine they're shocking figures compared to the Western World and what's reported.

Dunno about the Isle of Man but Sweden certainly hasn't "been covid free for months now." In fact the R rate there is similar to the UK's and higher than neighbouring Scandinavian countries which have been in lockdown,which Sweden hasn't.

Oh right, I didn't know that, didn't they go for herd Immunity from day one? That hasn't worked either then.

Sweden’s looks like it’s still doing ok.. and it’s kept,all it’s under 15’s in full time education I believe.. that’s a mental health time bomb they won’t have to deal with

It's not a good idea to directly compare us to Sweden. For a start we've got one of the worst death rates in the world for Covid, so Sweden doing better than us at best shows they haven't failed quite as badly as we have to contain the virus, not that they got it right, but even that conclusion might be a bit ropy.

Sweden's population density is 24.5 people per square kilometer, ours is 272. Sweden is going to be lower than us simply because the average infected Swedish person is going to run into far less people than we would in the UK. If you look at their neighbouring countries of Finland and Norway (which not only have a similar culture to Sweden but also a low population density like them) you can see how badly Sweden have done.

Untitled.png

The story so far:
  1. Step one, on 8 March, will see schools reopening and two people allowed to meet outdoors for a chat
  2. From 29 March, outdoor gatherings of either six people or two households will be allowed
  3. Outdoor sports, including football, golf and tennis, will be allowed to resume from 29 March as well
  4. Shops, hairdressers, gyms and outdoor hospitality will reopen on 12 April in England if strict conditions are met
  5. Progress to further steps depends on conditions around vaccination, infections, hospitalisations, deaths and new variants
  6. The UK PM will also hold a televised press conference at 19:00 GMT
  7. Scotland, Wales and NI will set out their own approaches
  8. Covid vaccines have a significant impact on the risk of serious illness Public Health Scotland analysis shows
  9. In the fourth week after the first dose, hospitalisations were reduced by 85% and 94% for the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs
  10. Also from 12 April, outdoor hospitality will resume, as well as zoos and theme parks
  11. Step three would start on 17 May with most social contact rules lifted, as well as limited mixing indoors
  12. The prime minister hopes that step four, from 21 June, would see the end of all legal limits on social contact
Each step of lockdown reduction will be based on 4 tests:

They are:
  1. the success of the vaccine rollout
  2. the number of hospital admissions and deaths falling
  3. the amount of pressure on the NHS
  4. the impact of any variants.
The government is also launching a series of reviews to explore further ways of easing limits.

The first review will look at whether having a vaccine or a negative test result can reduce restrictions on social contact.

A second review will pilot the impact of testing and reduced social distancing on events.

A third will look at travel. International travel will not resume before 17 May, but a report on 12 April will look at how to facilitate more inbound and outbound travel.

A fourth will review social distancing measures, such as the one-metre-plus rule, rules on face coverings and working from home. This will conclude ahead of 21 June.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, I was going to ask if you could detail a few points as I'm not able to watch Boris.

The story so far:
  1. Step one, on 8 March, will see schools reopening and two people allowed to meet outdoors for a chat
  2. From 29 March, outdoor gatherings of either six people or two households will be allowed
  3. Outdoor sports, including football, golf and tennis, will be allowed to resume from 29 March as well
  4. Shops, hairdressers, gyms and outdoor hospitality will reopen on 12 April in England if strict conditions are met
  5. Progress to further steps depends on conditions around vaccination, infections, hospitalisations, deaths and new variants
  6. The UK PM will also hold a televised press conference at 19:00 GMT
  7. Scotland, Wales and NI will set out their own approaches
  8. Covid vaccines have a significant impact on the risk of serious illness Public Health Scotland analysis shows
  9. In the fourth week after the first dose, hospitalisations were reduced by 85% and 94% for the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs
Each step of lockdown reduction will be based on 4 tests:

They are:
  1. the success of the vaccine rollout
  2. the number of hospital admissions and deaths falling
  3. the amount of pressure on the NHS
  4. the impact of any variants.
The government is also launching a series of reviews to explore further ways of easing limits.

The first review will look at whether having a vaccine or a negative test result can reduce restrictions on social contact.

A second review will pilot the impact of testing and reduced social distancing on events.

A third will look at travel. International travel will not resume before 17 May, but a report on 12 April will look at how to facilitate more inbound and outbound travel.

A fourth will review social distancing measures, such as the one-metre-plus rule, rules on face coverings and working from home. This will conclude ahead of 21 June.

Wow the Gov are taking things step by step and not just opening things straight away, that's a better approach.

Wow the Gov are taking things step by step and not just opening things straight away, that's a better approach.

Some will still moan. It’s a sensible approach, I would much rather have longer with restrictions if it means we don’t have to have another lockdown again whilst the vaccine is rolled out.

Some will still moan. It’s a sensible approach, I would much rather have longer with restrictions if it means we don’t have to have another lockdown again whilst the vaccine is rolled out.

I agree mate. It's sensible, fair play to BoJo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back