• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cheltenham Town 1-0 Southend Utd

Yes, plenty of effort but we never really looked like scoring all night. Even if Dieng had put his header on target, it was quite conceivable their keeper would have got something on it.
I actually felt we were generally happy to let them have the ball and hope our recent defensive performances would mean we could come away with a point. I think that was evident by leaving out our most creative players, Ferguson, Taylor and Akinola for example.
Sadly when we go a goal down we lose (the one exception this season was Crawley away). We don't really appear to be able to change to a Plan B. Unlike at Forest Green, where we started with a Plan B (if you get my drift).

I think the fact that I emitted one cheer all night (when Harrogate scored late on at Barrow), says it all really.

I couldn't have asked for more effort or togetherness from the team, they gave their all from start to finish but in the end one moment of clumsiness from Shaun cost us. That said, until the last 10/15 minutes, we looked pretty toothless up front and I've only just calmed down from cursing the shape of Dieng's head in their 6 yard box. As usual we will get some mindless morons on here who's only match comment will be to abuse Acquah but we really didn't deserve to lose that one and Emile ran himself into the ground in an attempt to affect the result but it was not going to happen, again. There were some mutterings before the game about Cordner, but I honestly thought he and JW were my joint MoMs.

On to Oldham away on Saturday, please let us find our shooting boots before then.
I'm sorry but how can u keep defending acquah? Strikers are paid to score goals right? Not just run around! I could do that ! Yes he works hard but at the end of the day there needs to be more! He doesent ever look like scoring! Its game after game!! I admire your loyalty to the player but I think you are letting your head rule your heart? Do u not think with the players we have now we should be trying a different option?

Good things....
We really have become very hard to score against.
Our effort and fitness generally has increased lots
We show a lot more passion and less fragility
We made them look toothless and probably deserved the draw we went to get
Oliyanka may be back soon
Bad things....
A little disappointed with Holmes after shrimpets build up
We waste so so much possession, ANG the worst offender but not just him
Halford is struggling to cope I feel and for me isn't worth a place just for the throw.
I'd prefer two of our 3 strongest mids on each game out of taylor, ferguson and JD. I'd rotate those and keep macca for those last 15min periods if needed. I have reservations on ANGs worth to the team unless he can release the ball better

Surprising starting 11 but think MM’s prep was understanding they had a big side and he tried to match it by putting in Halford. We had a good number of attacking throws in the early part of game. He would have stats on players fitness and clearly decided players needed resting. We were once again solid and hard to beat. The penalty exposed Hobson as not being a RB and once behind we never looked like scoring. Thought Cordner looked strong and I remain confident we will have enough, especially as Olay comes back and I think Mellis could be a real bonus. We move on and see if Saturday goes more in our favour.

I know this won't find much favour.
But I often wonder how much research is done by footballers.
Apart from getting tats and chiming on Instagram, they would do well to study the opposition.
Griffiths is right handed, and it's known a keeper is generally stronger to the side he writes and kicks with, if you see what I mean?
Dieng must have seen Griffiths edging right out the corner of his eye, so why in the wide, wide world of sports is he trying to head that way!!?
I got the impression Dieng knew he had mucked up big time.
I'm not sure what MM wants from Aquah.
The only time he's going to have a chance of scoring, note the word 'chance', is if he controls it down a channel and runs in on goal.
By that very definition, he's coming from an angle.
MM must know 90% of the punts forward are going nowhere near Aquah, and it's meat and drink to a half-decent pair of centre backs.
Could he not have added anybody up front (Dieng?), and played an extra midfielder?

Whatever happened to “The Beautiful Game”

There is no set universal explanation of exactly why football is referred to as the beautiful game, but it is widely accepted that the sport is so beloved for its sheer unpredictability, ability to bring communities together through fanhood and how visually pleasing an excellent game of football can be.”

That game was dire, tedious, totally predictable - just like so many games this season. And NO shots on target again.

The only consolation is I’m sitting in a comfy chair 2 minutes after the end of the game. I’m just glad I‘ve been spared hours of travelling to witness such dross. There isn’t a decent football team or footballer in this division.

They went top - they have four young loan players playing every game. They were awful - we showed no ambition.

They won because they were mobile than us and sprinted more than us. The set up was never going to cause them problems and even when we went behind when Mr Clumsy gave their guy the opportunity to fall over to get the penalty we still didnt try and score until the last substitution in 84th minute when Goodship came on. The first subs just slotted like for like - they didnt make us more attacking.

Even then we had the best chance of the game when Dieng missed that sitter. And of course that will justify the game plan.

I enjoyed football when it was “a funny old game” RIP Ian St John.

I'm sorry but how can u keep defending acquah? Strikers are paid to score goals right? Not just run around! I could do that ! Yes he works hard but at the end of the day there needs to be more! He doesent ever look like scoring! Its game after game!! I admire your loyalty to the player but I think you are letting your head rule your heart? Do u not think with the players we have now we should be trying a different option?
A game of football is about 11 players not just one. It's not a loyalty thing, it's a balance thing. The concept of targeting one player and then just slagging him off game after game suggests that is all you have to offer when it comes to match reviews.

We had sim recovering, Ranger crocked, Holmes a shadow of his past ability, goodship who won't challenge, rhf with one foot. Who have you got up your sleeve to get us some goals?

Our last six games have been vs teams now sitting in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th 8th. That’s an incredibly tough run of games where we have a record of 2-2-2, so 8/18 points. If you asked me before that Newport game, having just been spanked 5-1 by Port Vale would I take 8 points from these 6 I’d bite your hand off. These games were bonus games to us because nobody expected us to win or take points but the games coming up against lower sides are now absolutely key.

With that in mind, I think MM has rested players tonight to really go fresh against Oldham (17th) and despite making six changes I didn’t think they offered much more than we did. We looked defensively good again despite having another new keeper and it was an individual error that cost us a point.

We are much harder to beat, but the test against Oldham will now be can we break down a side that we aren’t just happy to take a point from.

What different option? We gave your poster boy the return you wanted and he didn’t last more than 15 minutes. You’ve also banged the drum for Holmes to start.. according to the team sheet he did tonight, not that you’d have known it. Care to comment on that disaster class of a performance?

I too am disappointed with tonight and as others have said I agree with having no quality in the midfield. Did not feel we made any chances nor was there any creativity tonight.
At times I found it frustrating to watch and again felt the subs MM made was too little to late.
Can someone please tell me what Nathaniel-George brings to the team as I personally cannot see much from him.
I know this team was hovering around the top of the league but like the other games I didn't really think they were that good and was there for the taking.

we cannot afford to keep losing these games and whether it is one nil or eight nil it is still a loss and no points on the table.

Fewest goals a team has scored and stayed up is 37. We're on course for 30..

Back