• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The set up of the team and lack of bravery

The new manager bounce isn’t really a thing, it’s regression to the mean. Managers get sacked after a run of bad results, it’s natural that the run will come to an end eventually.
Depends really, could gain you those 4/5 wins to keep you up but it could also not have an effect. I suppose it comes down to whether you think its worth the risk! Football league status should mean alot to clubs.

Suggests that perhaps you shouldnt rely on your macbook pro in a game of football.

Except it's not really a surprise at all that the stats have us down as creating better chances against Oldham than against Forest Green. Two of our goals were outrageous finishes you'd never normally convert.

Against Oldham we had far more opportunities and shots inside the box. We created a lot more.

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

Is MMs job on the line? Cheap option and did well in non league. I doubt he'd be replaced even if we get relegated tbh.

Football is about balance. Yes we look more solid and not conceding is a big part of the game but so is actually winning matches.

We have the lowest goals tally in the league and are very much in danger of being relegated. The teams in our mini relegation league have games in hand.

So when you are away from home against a team that is woeful, I don't think that bringing on two defensive midfielders is the answer and we should have gone for the jugular by throwing more attacking threat on.

To me that smacks of playing it safe.

We have to win games and we won't by making those kind of substitutes.

I'd happily have this chat with MM so please don't accuse me of being a keyboard warrior.

It was a terrible game of football that we should have won and had a better chance of doing so by adding to our attacking threat.

You don't agree, that's fair enough.
Yes, we do disagree but we can agree it is a real shame we cannot have this conversation over a pint!

Although I watched the Oldham match live it's only when I watched the Sky highlights that I realised how excellent Acquah's trap, turn and shot on the edge of the area whilst surrounded by defenders was. It skimmed the bar. Had it gone in as it deserved to we would be discussing the young man's brilliance. On such fine distinctions do we adopt polarised opinions.

Although I watched the Oldham match live it's only when I watched the Sky highlights that I realised how excellent Acquah's trap, turn and shot on the edge of the area whilst surrounded by defenders was. It skimmed the bar. Had it gone in as it deserved to we would be discussing the young man's brilliance. On such fine distinctions do we adopt polarised opinions.
I thought it was brill live

I thought it was brill live

Yes, I thought it was good live but you're kinda swept along with disappointment and the next action follows swiftly. Only when seeing it later was it clear how really brilliant he was.

That my friend is part of the process....and I agree short term results and points were / are paramount (1) and ‘style’ had to be put on hold in favour of building up a resilience, a belief, an ethos, and the morale of the whole club.

I said weeks ago eventually there will be a return to a more ‘attractive’ style of play.

The ‘process’ simply isn’t a consistent upward curve (2) and it’s not finite. It’s an ongoing game. That’s education. That’s coaching. That is sport!

(1) So you now agree that the process isn't working?

(2) Something we agree about at last.

Honestly wonder if you can read sometimes. That’s not what I said or insinuated at all.

Well I do have to wear reading glasses these days.......and what I read had me thinking that at last we had 50 percent agreement........hey ho.

You say that you agree short term results and points were / are paramount.

You presumably agree that 'amassing' only six points from the last seven games (whilst not scoring in six of them) is relegation form and is therefore indicative of a project that is not working.

Hence my inference.

Where did I go wrong?

#ftheproject

Well I do have to wear reading glasses these days.......and what I read had me thinking that at last we had 50 percent agreement........hey ho.

You presumably agree that 'amassing' only six points from the last seven games (whilst not scoring in six of them) is relegation form and is therefore indicative of a project that is not working.

Hence my inference.

Where did I go wrong?

#ftheproject

You went wrong by paying no attention whatsoever to the context of the post or what it was in reply to. But I get that, because had you done, it would not have fitted your agenda.

You went wrong by paying no attention whatsoever to the context of the post or what it was in reply to. But I get that, because had you done, it would not have fitted your agenda.

Oh.

Taken out of context.

Sorry.

In no context other than that of this question, do you agree that 'amassing' only six points from the last seven games (whilst not scoring in six of them) is relegation form and is therefore indicative of a project that is not working?

Hence my inference.

Where did I go wrong?

#ftheproject

Oh you are so provocative!!!

That well known former captain and best friend of my sister, I can remember saying after the 79/80 season, that when they got relegated after we managed to score 1 or less in 35 of our 46 games how difficult it was to play and depressing when the team knew they were incapable of scoring. Once the opposition scored they all believed they couldn’t win that game. We swapped Colin Morris and Derrick Parker for Derek Spence and Keith Mercer and still couldn’t score that season. Mind you I’d kill for a total of 47 goals for this season. Scored more than once in just 4 of 34 so far.

Can't help but feel last night showed that the calls for us to take more risks and to be more adventurous might not be wise. We tried it yesterday and it left us open to be sliced apart in the first half. So we will likely have to stomach the 'keep it tight at the back and try to nick a 1-0' because we're too limited to do anything else and it's the only way we're able to stay in games and have a chance.of nicking something.

--------------------------------MONTGOMERY-----------------------------
ELVIS--------------HOBSON--------------CORDENER-------------CLIFFORD
DEMETRIOU---------TAYLOR--------------DIENG---------------------HART
--------------------GOODSHIP-----------AKINOLA-------------------------

NATHANIEL-GEORGE, HOLMES, HACKETT-FAIRCHILD,FERGUSON,HALFORD, WHITE, SEADEN

If we're gonna stay up we need Akinola playing alongside another striker , and although Goodship has been very poor since he joined us , i still feel there's goals in him if he can just get some confidence. So start him . Hart's energy bombing forward will give us thrust , Demi on the other flank gives some balance for Elvis to overlap. I love John White but Hobson& Cordener have played together at Bournemouth + White needs a rest. He is stressed + gets booked for dissent every week. Give Demi the armband just to freshen things up. Taylor can create things & with Demi in there he has licence to probe. Ferguson pushing Dieng hard for a start.
Having Acquah lumbering about isolated will send us down. We need to form a partnership that has goals in it. 6 blanks in the last 8 games says it all.
COME ON SOUTHEND - WE CAN STILL DO THIS!!!!!!!!
:LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:

--------------------------------MONTGOMERY-----------------------------
ELVIS--------------HOBSON--------------CORDENER-------------CLIFFORD
DEMETRIOU---------TAYLOR--------------DIENG---------------------HART
--------------------GOODSHIP-----------AKINOLA-------------------------

NATHANIEL-GEORGE, HOLMES, HACKETT-FAIRCHILD,FERGUSON,HALFORD, WHITE, SEADEN

If we're gonna stay up we need Akinola playing alongside another striker , and although Goodship has been very poor since he joined us , i still feel there's goals in him if he can just get some confidence. So start him . Hart's energy bombing forward will give us thrust , Demi on the other flank gives some balance for Elvis to overlap. I love John White but Hobson& Cordener have played together at Bournemouth + White needs a rest. He is stressed + gets booked for dissent every week. Give Demi the armband just to freshen things up. Taylor can create things & with Demi in there he has licence to probe. Ferguson pushing Dieng hard for a start.
Having Acquah lumbering about isolated will send us down. We need to form a partnership that has goals in it. 6 blanks in the last 8 games says it all.
[/QUOTE
!
:LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:
].

Hope so but I'm fast losing faith

Oh you are so provocative!!!

That well known former captain and best friend of my sister, I can remember saying after the 79/80 season, that when they got relegated after we managed to score 1 or less in 35 of our 46 games how difficult it was to play and depressing when the team knew they were incapable of scoring. Once the opposition scored they all believed they couldn’t win that game. We swapped Colin Morris and Derrick Parker for Derek Spence and Keith Mercer and still couldn’t score that season. Mind you I’d kill for a total of 47 goals for this season. Scored more than once in just 4 of 34 so far.

Provocative?

Do you disagree that 'amassing' only six points from the last seven games (whilst not scoring in six of them) is relegation form and is therefore indicative of a project that is not working.

Provocative?

No.

Just sick to the back teeth of the crock of **** that gets served up week after week and some of the nonsensical justifications.

Perhaps I should flounce off and come back under another name.

Back