• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will you still attend next season?

Will you still attend next season?

• Yes

Votes: 293 73.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 14.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 47 11.8%

• Total voters
Out of interest, those who said no, is this because you don't really go anyway? (Pandemic aside)

I can see why some might answer 'no' or 'maybe' to this. It can be soul destroying at times. I guess you are paying to be entertained in many ways and if you come away having not been entertained, it might turn you off. For me it goes much deeper. As I mentioned on another thread, Ron Martin might see SUFC as a business but I won't stoop to his level and just view it as that. I'd almost be as bad as he is if I did. It's so much more than a business to so many people. It's my club and my passion, love and loyalty for it courses through my veins. It's not like a dodgy restaurant round the corner that I can boycott because their food is ****. Boycotts might be in the future depending on what happens off the field in the next few months - they worked well at other clubs for their situations, but I don't think now is the right time for that here. I've paid to watch games when I couldn't really afford to when we were **** in the past, so not sure why I would stop now. And not being able to watch in person for over a year has made me love and miss it all the more - I'll never be taking that for granted again. I'm Southend Til I Die, no matter what division the club is in.

Yes of course lol, what else am I going to do at 3 in the afternoon on a Saturday when all my pals are at the hall having a pint & pie and watching the footy, sit in and watch Loose Women?

Nah, get me back in our decaying ground. Can't wait to be back, missing it. Always will be my team

Away games ? otherwise if I am going to pay for non league football might as well pay £5 to watch Manor, great entertainment and they play with their hearts and for the shirt not the money. Beats lose women and lining RM's pocket lol.

I would go to every home game and would definitely like to attend some away games at the clubs we might meet in the NL.

However, if RM thinks he can charge the same prices for season tickets, he can f**k off!

There are 2 theories on that. 1 like you say is that people can't wait to be back and will come back regardless of what football is on offer. The other is that people will either be cautious about coming back to crowded spaces after so long, or after so long without going to games will have new routines or realise they dont miss it as much as they thought they would.

I think attendances will be well down at all sporting events until the coronavirus is a distant memory, that could take years. When we played the two home games in December there were just a few hundred tickets available to non ST fans and these were very slow to sell. The snooker championship at the Crucible is selling just 33% of capacity in the early rounds and apparently they are not selling well. This is a world class event in a venue with a capacity of less than 1000. It seems that many people are still very wary of attending events. Talk of 5000/6000 at Roots Hall next season seems optimistic in the extreme. It is frightening to think of how clubs like ours will survive with the likely decrease in revenue from gate receipts. The Premiership clubs will still make millions from TV deals. Maybe live streaming via ifollow or similar will be the future for smaller clubs at least in the near future. It will be sad not to see decent sized crowds watching live football though. Personally I will still attend live matches but not everyone will feel the same.

I look at it like this....... last 2 years have been terrible its beyond a joke! Winding up orders, transfer embargo's, paying players late or never, bad recruitment but that's partly down to club reputation being shot to pieces (cheers ron) and to top it off...... 1 of are rivals will relegate us out of the league. The saddest thing is i can see it getting worse. If fans choice not to go, can't exactly blame them.

I'm angry the way this clown has run my club into oblivion! I can't just forgive.

The answer to the original poster question. I'm unsure at the moment to be honest. If I was to go, I would just go to the away games........ not really for the football on the pitch but to experience different places and new away grounds. More likely to be enjoyable and have laugh that way.

This post has had approx 900 views at this point but only 162 have voted? Its a shame because it would be interesting to get a bigger picture..................

The team have been overfunded and thats why the debt keeps increasing. Its why bills have not been paid.

In the last season there is another fan myth emerging, that Ron has spent money on his "Stadium pension pot dream."

Paying off 20 plus players and coaching staff, all of whom us fans wanted gone. Plus record injuries meaning extra players were needed......Thats why we couldn't pay the bills and ended up on an embargo........The irony is Ron has acted like the wealthy fool so many fans think is the answer for a dream chairman.

But all us fans wanted improvements......Remember when Luggy's brand of football was to direct and wouldn't get us out of L2......To change that has ended up costing us £5m a season.

Yes of course. That old myth.

Over funded. Who's fault is that for not having a ceo or refusing any additional backing. Poor judgement again by a chairman out of touch out of his depth and out of money.

Of course we are the chelsea of league 1 and 2 and what success we have had.

No other club spends as much as us or has any success etc.

Ron is a terrible chairman. He can't run the club and is financially unfit to run the club. He has dug himself into a financial whole and the club is now suffering.

Whos idea was it to chase larson etc and appoint Sol and his crew for circa 1 million a year?

Who agreed to kightly, ferdinand, Cox and Ridgewells wages, knowing we could not afford it and they were mostly over the hill with no sell on value?

Maybe if we had a ceo better decisions would be made. But yet again we spend money on utter **** and not on things that matter.

Almost every decision Ron makes is **** poor, misguided or risks the clubs status and integrity.

Anyone who defends him is just as bad. We are heading into non league after another managerial fiasco and having been embargoed for a whole year.

Wake up Rigsby.

Yes of course. That old myth.

Over funded. Who's fault is that for not having a ceo or refusing any additional backing. Poor judgement again by a chairman out of touch out of his depth and out of money.

Of course we are the chelsea of league 1 and 2 and what success we have had.

No other club spends as much as us or has any success etc.

Ron is a terrible chairman. He can't run the club and is financially unfit to run the club. He has dug himself into a financial whole and the club is now suffering.

Whos idea was it to chase larson etc and appoint Sol and his crew for circa 1 million a year?

Who agreed to kightly, ferdinand, Cox and Ridgewells wages, knowing we could not afford it and they were mostly over the hill with no sell on value?

Maybe if we had a ceo better decisions would be made. But yet again we spend money on utter **** and not on things that matter.

Almost every decision Ron makes is **** poor, misguided or risks the clubs status and integrity.

Anyone who defends him is just as bad. We are heading into non league after another managerial fiasco and having been embargoed for a whole year.

Wake up Rigsby.

I wish I could argue but I can't, you are spot on. RM has destroyed our club and I will never forgive him.

So many poor decisions with appalling timing (Johnstones paint final for one), then the list go's on and on.

His pursuit of Fantasy farm strangely coincides with our demise. What the hell good is a 21,000 all seater state of the art stadium for a non league football team ?

Last edited:
I wish I could argue but I can't, you are spot on. RM has destroyed our club and I will never forgive him.

So many poor decisions with appalling timing (Johnstones paint final for one), then the list go's on and on.

His pursuit of Fantasy farm strangely coincides with our demise. What the hell good is a 21,000 all seater state of the art stadium for a non league football team ?

And that's even if we ever build to capacity.

My biggest hope is that the stadium gets the green light. 3 sides get built and Ron makes his money and then leaves the club to a younger wealthier person or persons to run it effectively and restore some of the clubs reputation which is frankly mud to most at this time.

Then, when we in better financial shape and back in the football league, we can think about finishing the stadium.

We have no place building a 21k stadium in the national league.

I won't be buying a season ticket for the first time in 12 years. I'll take it on a game by game basis (which probably translates as "yeah, I'll be at every game"). However, I'd like to not to feel obligated to "get my money's worth", not to have to attend every week to be fed a never ending fare of rubbish and frankly I don't want to support him. I really object to giving that man any more money. We are in this mess because he didn't pay his bills and was too arrogant to see the writing on the wall. And the sickening thing is that he will blame us for not financing his club.

Away days, oh there will be a few of them......

What happens if Ron builds the stadium, say just two sides initially because we are still non-league and/or pressed for time. He then sells the club but not the stadium (land). The new owners want to finish the stadium, but how can they do that if we are renting? Okay, so Ron gives the club permission to build a new stand, but who's going to lend you money to build a stand on land you don't own? Maybe I don't understand this properly but the benefits to the club, apart from not having to play in a decrepit Rots Hall, are not obvious. Off topic, sorry

Certainly going to contnue for next season. I enjoy the company of the people I sit with as much as anything else. Time for reflection, will be at the end of next season.

I am not expecting us to bounce back at the fiest attempt, but I do want to see progress.

Agreed. I don't expect us to bounce back straight away but I do want to see some 'green shoots' of recovery and an improvement on the last few years.

What happens if Ron builds the stadium, say just two sides initially because we are still non-league and/or pressed for time. He then sells the club but not the stadium (land). The new owners want to finish the stadium, but how can they do that if we are renting? Okay, so Ron gives the club permission to build a new stand, but who's going to lend you money to build a stand on land you don't own? Maybe I don't understand this properly but the benefits to the club, apart from not having to play in a decrepit Rots Hall, are not obvious. Off topic, sorry

Dont think anyone does anymore, seems a pointless exercise, losing our beloved ground and the covenant to move into a crap stadium still in debt and not owning everything.

The bulk of the Next ron zoom meeting has a lot of these questions tabled i believe.

Back