• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Experienced trio will be offered new deals at Southend United

Demi was a surprise to me. Having been played on CM for so long it feels like he's in limbo. Similarly to JW, his played in another position for so long [and done well enough] that I would never expect to revert him back to RB. With Demi this isn't the case so strictly a RB for me if he pick it back up.

Shame for Howard, who another poster from around King's Lynn way said has been and would do well in this league. Sorry I've forgotten your name.

Last edited:
You have no idea what wages he will be offered or accept?

He knows the NL well having played in it and looked very good under Brown (who by the way is the best judge of whether he is worth a contract?)

True, but I'm imagining we could get two players who actually know the national league and have more longevity in the tank for the one of him.

The non league of 2013 is a completely different beast to this in the here and now.

Again everyone has different opinions, but very good is a stretch. I'd personally argue good is a stretch, but that's why we love football everyone has differing opinions.

I truly hope he proves me wrong and completes more than 15 games this season and makes a real contribution.

Actually, my memory of Shaun six months ago was one of hit and miss.
He improved dramatically since the start of the season, but was more than capable of a bad game.
He is reasonably quick and robust, but the finer points of the game elude him for the time being.
He needs a partner, and if that partner is White, I won't complain.
Demi?
This is the man, lest ye forget, forced to stand in front of his team-mates by CP and apologise for a blatant piece of thuggery while playing for Cyprus.
Not just a mis-timed tackle but a deliberate vicious swipe that may have caused permanent damage.
He has no mute button, does he?
OK, he brings a heap of yellows, and yes, he's had his fair share of good days, but is he really the right-back answer?
you forgotten To mention that his Cyprus team mates and manager (who he was representing that day) hailed him a hero for ensuring the match result with seconds left ... A feeling echoed by the Cyprus fans.
I believe the action by CP was all good natured fun within the players domain.

you forgotten To mention that his Cyprus team mates and manager (who he was representing that day) hailed him a hero for ensuring the match result with seconds left ... A feeling echoed by the Cyprus fans.
I believe the action by CP was all good natured fun within the players domain.
Oh, really! Note the moniker: 'mate'.
If this was considered 'good natured' - watch again.

Oh, really! Note the moniker: 'mate'.
If this was considered 'good natured' - watch again.

ITK clearly meant that apologising in front of the team was 'good natured'

As for the soy boy sky presenter. I have done much worse during a game of 3 and in, whilst playing in the back garden. To get a straight red and not leave the opponent at least injured is embarrassing and deserves a public apology.

ITK clearly meant that apologising in front of the team was 'good natured'

As for the soy boy sky presenter. I have done much worse during a game of 3 and in, whilst playing in the back garden. To get a straight red and not leave the opponent at least injured is embarrassing and deserves a public apology.
To be fair it's quite difficult to read it any other way. Of course I was referring to the apology stuff all being good natured. The tackle (can't really call it that!) was a professional foul with no injury caused in the final minutes. Simple as that.

To be fair it's quite difficult to read it any other way. Of course I was referring to the apology stuff all being good natured. The tackle (can't really call it that!) was a professional foul with no injury caused in the final minutes. Simple as that.
Hmmm...It was premeditated and dangerous.
The fact it didn't cause injury was circumstance rather than intent.
Do that in a street and expect a tap on your shoulder at the very least.
Someone capable of thinking and doing this is suspect, and it's not the first time.
Ask yourself why CP demanded the apology in the first place.
My understanding is he was less than pleased by the implied association with Southend.
This is 2021, right? It was the last time I looked, unless we've all been transported back to the 1930s.

Someone capable of thinking and doing this is suspect, and it's not the first time.
My understanding is he was less than pleased by the implied association with Southend.
This is 2021, right? It was the last time I looked, unless we've all been transported back to the 1930s.

CP should have demanded the rest of his players did that in league games. He might still be our manger in L1.

Charlton did far worse to Kightly and only got a yellow. Thats why he got himself sent off later on and never got going again after that suspension.

Both tackles on Ralph and Clifford ended one season and ruined the other. The Grimsby one on the back of Olay may well be the tackle that put us in the NL.

Yet your worried about the 'implied association' with Southend. Well so am I, the very last thing we need is 'they can be bullied' reputation in the NL next season.

Agree with the majority on JW, despite injury susceptibility, RH if he gets his fitness levels up after a full pre season, and JD, but no where near midfield.

If Elvis goes wouldn't be surprised, get a replacement and JD as cover.

If the OX goes, again wouldn't be surprised, but snap up Haigh from Concord, especially with their manager resigned and a change around in the board room.

I thought James Montgomery might have been a good signing for Southend. He did well whilst on loan from Gateshead.

It's not for you or I to decide if he's worth an offer or regular team place though, it's the managers over time who all consistently feel the same.
I don't need to ask myself what happened, I already know the facts from those directly involved. I'm not guess or speculating to try and make out something was more than it was.
interesting you mention the difference between what goes on off and on a football pitch. Those tackles and ones more likely to cause an injury happen all over a pitch in many games and of course if they happened in the street it would be a problem. A very sensible thing youve pointed out. Of course he's totally different off the pitch as anyone who knows him will tell you.
However, I've sat next to and near 'fan's' in the stands at games listening to the abuse thrown at our own players and fami!ies (theo,anton, to name just two) and also heard the same abuse in the car park, away from the pitch!
So, whilst players use some dirty tricks within the confines of the pitch and know how to behave away from it (ranger excluded), some 'fans' aren't capable of doing the same, and here you are casting doubts on the character and public demeanor of one of our players by saying 'someone capable of thinking and doing this is suspect"!
I'll just assume you don't know him very well, if at all. It's the respectful way to respond to that type of comment.
With reference to the 1930s, I can't comment as I didn't attend a game back then or have the direct contact I have these days, so I'd be guessing and speculating.

Honestly there’s no fan base like some of ours when it comes to having digs at players. There’s been players through those revolving doors in the last 3 years who didn’t care half as much as Jason or JW or Elvis who got away with hardly any of the dogs’ abuse some of these lads get.

We need to pull together and get behind the team, whoever PB chooses, we want to get out of that league swiftly don’t we? I know it’s been a **** few years but Christ, some of the stuff I read and hear. If I was Oxley listening to the snide comments from the south lower I’d have waded in there, fair play he hasn’t!

JD - will be excellent in the NL, right attitude, will run through walls for us and experienced but please play him at RB.
JW - showed his ability to allow Hopson to grow and flourish. When fit he's my first name on the Team Sheet.
RH - a true blue with bags of ability and experience. When fit he will be a major asset for us in the NL. Look at the job Hoolahan has done for Cambridge this season and RH is 5 years younger and in a lower league.

How anyone can not be happy that these three have signed is beyond me, but then again the game that we all love is all about opinions

Have to say I got sick of JDs non stop chirping whinging, non stop kicking the ball away, stupid fouls, 8 yellows or about and a red, one of the worst in the league, but of course Some might praise that behaviour as professionalism

JD - will be excellent in the NL, right attitude, will run through walls for us and experienced but please play him at RB.
JW - showed his ability to allow Hopson to grow and flourish. When fit he's my first name on the Team Sheet.
RH - a true blue with bags of ability and experience. When fit he will be a major asset for us in the NL. Look at the job Hoolahan has done for Cambridge this season and RH is 5 years younger and in a lower league.

How anyone can not be happy that these three have signed is beyond me, but then again the game that we all love is all about opinions

This

CP should have demanded the rest of his players did that in league games. He might still be our manger in L1.

Charlton did far worse to Kightly and only got a yellow. Thats why he got himself sent off later on and never got going again after that suspension.

Both tackles on Ralph and Clifford ended one season and ruined the other. The Grimsby one on the back of Olay may well be the tackle that put us in the NL.

Yet your worried about the 'implied association' with Southend. Well so am I, the very last thing we need is 'they can be bullied' reputation in the NL next season.
Two paragraphs reinforce the need to eradicate that sort of play anywhere: I quite agree.

I think there's a difference between standing up for yourself and team-mates, and a knee high deliberate assault.

It's not for you or I to decide if he's worth an offer or regular team place though, it's the managers over time who all consistently feel the same.
I don't need to ask myself what happened, I already know the facts from those directly involved. I'm not guess or speculating to try and make out something was more than it was.
interesting you mention the difference between what goes on off and on a football pitch. Those tackles and ones more likely to cause an injury happen all over a pitch in many games and of course if they happened in the street it would be a problem. A very sensible thing youve pointed out. Of course he's totally different off the pitch as anyone who knows him will tell you.
However, I've sat next to and near 'fan's' in the stands at games listening to the abuse thrown at our own players and fami!ies (theo,anton, to name just two) and also heard the same abuse in the car park, away from the pitch!
So, whilst players use some dirty tricks within the confines of the pitch and know how to behave away from it (ranger excluded), some 'fans' aren't capable of doing the same, and here you are casting doubts on the character and public demeanor of one of our players by saying 'someone capable of thinking and doing this is suspect"!
I'll just assume you don't know him very well, if at all. It's the respectful way to respond to that type of comment.
With reference to the 1930s, I can't comment as I didn't attend a game back then or have the direct contact I have these days, so I'd be guessing and speculating.
You're aware the 1930s reference was about what one could get away with as far as tackles go.
And as for the fact you didn't attend, was that a stab at humour? Nor did I, but as a student of the game you will know how it went.
Even as late as the 1958 Cup final, Harry Gregg in Man Utd's goal was taken out by the type of challenge that would be a red now. Back then, it was Bolton's second goal.
Now, as to intent.
Anyone thinking even for a split second 'I'm going to chop this guy by the knees going past me', is a worry.
Not quite the same, but a rash tackle at Colchester finally did for us, eh?
Standing up for yourself and team-mates is one thing, but I've never quite worked out what Demi thinks he's going to gain, other than another yellow, when he goes at the ref ALL the time in some games?
It's interesting you know the 'facts' as do I, and interesting further they appear to be different.
As for fans, and some's poor behaviour, that's something of a red herring in the debate on whether we need to keep Demi.

Back