• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Experienced trio will be offered new deals at Southend United

JD - will be excellent in the NL, right attitude, will run through walls for us and experienced but please play him at RB.
JW - showed his ability to allow Hopson to grow and flourish. When fit he's my first name on the Team Sheet.
RH - a true blue with bags of ability and experience. When fit he will be a major asset for us in the NL. Look at the job Hoolahan has done for Cambridge this season and RH is 5 years younger and in a lower league.

How anyone can not be happy that these three have signed is beyond me, but then again the game that we all love is all about opinions
They are being offered deals- haven't signed yet as I understand it...Given the are all very "attached" to the club hopefully it will indeed happen. Its odd just these three mentioned at this point- might be because the parties are confident the deal will be done (are maybe discussions have happened and they are pretty much done)..

You're aware the 1930s reference was about what one could get away with as far as tackles go.
And as for the fact you didn't attend, was that a stab at humour? Nor did I, but as a student of the game you will know how it went.
Even as late as the 1958 Cup final, Harry Gregg in Man Utd's goal was taken out by the type of challenge that would be a red now. Back then, it was Bolton's second goal.
Now, as to intent.
Anyone thinking even for a split second 'I'm going to chop this guy by the knees going past me', is a worry.
Not quite the same, but a rash tackle at Colchester finally did for us, eh?
Standing up for yourself and team-mates is one thing, but I've never quite worked out what Demi thinks he's going to gain, other than another yellow, when he goes at the ref ALL the time in some games?
It's interesting you know the 'facts' as do I, and interesting further they appear to be different.
As for fans, and some's poor behaviour, that's something of a red herring in the debate on whether we need to keep Demi.
We'll just have to agree to differ on the facts. No harm in that.
Same in our opinions of if a certain players potential behaviour off the pitch should be a concern. We are all entitled to see things differently.
I wasn't trying to be humorous ! My grandad played for southend in the 30s or thereabouts , my dad in the late 50s, my son with the youths in the noughties and my daughter's other half plays now. I was just saying I didn't go then.

As for fans, and some's poor behaviour, that's something of a red herring in the debate on whether we need to keep Demi.
I don’t imagine there’s many better or more experienced right backs in the NL, note I say right backs. The fact he’s vocal to the ref wouldn’t have been so obvious had we had others who didn’t hide out there and shirk confrontation and turn a blind eye. What PB needs to bring in is characters with a taste for battle and Jason definitely fits that criteria. He’s a Brown type player.

Two paragraphs reinforce the need to eradicate that sort of play anywhere: I quite agree.

I think there's a difference between standing up for yourself and team-mates, and a knee high deliberate assault.

Knee high?....Don't you mean a ankle tap that barley made contact. Stan managed to Avoid much worse for his first goal in the famous Huddersfield cup win.

The game is ruined by people 'manufacturing" fouls and and feigning injuries with out so called fans whinging about their own players

You stick with Sam Mantom, RHF and ANG. They have never upset anyone playing against them. I'll pick Butler, Timlin or even Deegan

I thought James Montgomery might have been a good signing for Southend. He did well whilst on loan from Gateshead.
Did he make a save? As I recall he didn't have much to do.

Think Seadon did more in his 45 mins

If people think Ricky Holmes will do a good job for us next season , then fine , that's all well and good.
But PLEASE drop the 'he's a Southend fan' bit as if that alone makes him suitable.
As I've said before , I'm a Southend fan , but at 61 couldn't do a decent enough job in the NL.

Knee high?....Don't you mean a ankle tap that barley made contact. Stan managed to Avoid much worse for his first goal in the famous Huddersfield cup win.

The game is ruined by people 'manufacturing" fouls and and feigning injuries with out so called fans whinging about their own players

You stick with Sam Mantom, RHF and ANG. They have never upset anyone playing against them. I'll pick Butler, Timlin or even Deegan
Just watched it again, and hope you're not a surgeon by day.
I'd like anyone operating on me to know the difference between ankle and knee.
It's not a whinge, is it?
It's a preference for a bit of honour rather than the cynicism that may also be ruining the game.
Nah. Don't fancy any of the first three, and not only because they lack drive.
Tough tackling a la Timlin and that Demi foul for Cyprus?
Not the same postcode; not even the same county!

Just watched it again, and hope you're not a surgeon by day.
I'd like anyone operating on me to know the difference between ankle and knee.
It's not a whinge, is it?
It's a preference for a bit of honour rather than the cynicism that may also be ruining the game.
Nah. Don't fancy any of the first three, and not only because they lack drive.
Tough tackling a la Timlin and that Demi foul for Cyprus?
Not the same postcode; not even the same county!

Well the good news is next season under PB the team will be fitter, work harder off the ball, be expected to block a shot with more conviction than the Blue Bells, make a few tackles and yes take one for the team.

If someone has to do it in the 95th minute to ensure a win i hope PB makes then stand up in the dressing room and gets the rest of team to applaud them.

Last edited:
Well the good news is next season under PB the team will be fitter, work harder off the ball, be expected to block a shot with more conviction than the Blue Bells, make a few tackles and yes take one for the team.

If someone has to do it in the 95th minute to ensure a win i hope PB makes then stand up in the dressing room and gets the rest of team applaud them.
Bye Bye Dieng:Smile:

Deegan couldn't play. Both Peter Butler and TIms could.

Seaden isn't ready.

NL isn't a massive step down in terms of ability and he's still got ALOT to learn, we need another senior keeper

Sorry, should have said if OX goes, I would have Haigh in like a shot, I'd do that anyway, Seadon as no.2 as I think he will kick on.

I don't think he is ready to hold down the No.1, but I do expect him to be close with another season under his belt.

Seaden isn't ready.

NL isn't a massive step down in terms of ability and he's still got ALOT to learn, we need another senior keeper

If I recall Seadon was pretty ****ed that we brought in other keeper(s) - even though it was no slight on his ability, it was because we'd have had a 16yr old (or something) on the bench as cover. That says to me he thinks he is ready and wants the opportunity. It'll be interesting if Ox goes. I doubt we'll bring in a No 2 keeper - so it will be competition for the No 1 spot. Is Seadon even under contract for next season?

I dont think we will have a problem finding a goalkeeper if Ox goes, even one on loan for the season from a higher league. Most clubs have 3 or 4 on the books.

Back