• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PB comments on White contract

Napster

No ⭐
Not seen this mentioned yet:

"It’s fantastic news," said Brown.

"Even though the club has gone down into the fifth tier, I signed John as a second division player. He then became a first division player which he proved himself at and fitted into the squad very nicely.

"He progressed with the club to the higher leagues but unfortunately has been part and parcel of two relegations.

"He’s not one that shirks responsibility. I’ve offered him a deal which is a win-win situation going into his testimonial year.

"A guy that gives such a long service for one club is a rarity now, it’s not the norm.

"I hope the supporters support him in the various events that we’ll have scattered throughout the year.

"John’s been captain of the club and he knows what it’s about to wear the shirt and wear it with pride. There’s nobody that will give you a better definition of what it means to him and the supporters, the fact we’ve gone back-to-back relegations.

"He wants to put that right and I’m delighted for him and I'm delighted for Southend United.

"He knows what I’m about, he knows what I expect from a team and he will be passing that knowledge and information on in the changing room."

Since the season ended Brown has signed his own new deal and then followed it up by securing the future of the Blues captain.

And Brown is hopeful of continuing the squad building process

"So far so good,” Brown added. "My clarity of thought is quite simple.

"I will give the information of what is required to all the players and if they are physically and technically capable of achieving that they will part of Southend’s progress over the next year, or two or three.

"My ambition for the club is to get promoted straight away out of this division.

"I will be bringing players into the club and hopefully they will tick the boxes that weren’t ticked last year.

"One being 29 goals in a season. I don’t think we had enough clean sheets either. Straight away there’s two areas we need to improve on.

"If I can do that in the six-week period and the signings leading up to that six-week period of pre-season, then I’ve ticked two boxes that we didn’t tick last year."

Manager comes in and thinks the team that got relegated needs to score more and concede less. Genius! Guess that is what Premier League managerial experience gets you.

We had the 9th most clean sheets. That wasn't our problem.

Oxley made some mistakes last season that I can’t forgive

Same! He's a liability and a extremely average/poor keeper. Sure he makes the odd good save but I can't forget how many points he's cost us. His all round play is lacking majorly. Commanding his box, nope. Coming off his line, nope. Coming for set pieces, nope. Communicating with the back line, nope. Kicking, nope (usually straight to the other goal keeper or to their striker costing us a goal). There's just not enough to justify another contract and another high wage considering what he's previously got off us.

It's fair to say I've never been a fan of his. Sitting directly behind the goal in the south upper I've seen him **** up more times than I wish to remember. So many of those **** up's have been forgotten because we luckily avoided conceding a goal but I still remember them. Everyone's human but IMO his time with us has run it's course and that should be it now. I still reckon he'll think he's better than NL level and get a league 1/2 club to go to somehow. You'd 'imagine' the wages will be (they bloody better be) considerably lower but this is SUFC, he's probably getting a wage increase.

Three years ago Oxley was our player of the season in League 1. Now he is a player who we don't want going into the National League.

So was he performing way above his level back then or has his confidence taken a severe knock.

Oxley is a good keeper, and for long stretches he is excellent. But he is prone to big errors. And the thing with Oxley, more than any first choice keeper at Southend I can remember, is that he has these runs of form, both good and bad. It's normally strikers you associate with that with keepers being more 'reliable'. Even though he can play way above NL on talent alone you can guarantee that at some point next year he will have a bad run of form and lose his confidence.

Last edited:
Oxley is a good keeper, and for long stretches he is excellent. But he is prone to big errors. And the thing with Oxley, more than any first choice keeper at Southend I can remember, is that he has these runs of form, both good and bad. It's normally strikers you associate with that with keepers being more 'reliable'. Even though he can play way above NL on talent alone you can guarantee that at some point next year he will have a bad run of form and lose his confidence.
I think the question is here how long can we wait for him to come good again?

Oxley made some mistakes last season that I can’t forgive

The first League game of the season being a key time, and he was directly responsible for 2 of Harrogates goals - this game set a marker, and not a good one

Should've looked at bringing Montgomery back in or giving Seaden a chance rather than offering Oxley a new contract.

Three years ago Oxley was our player of the season in League 1. Now he is a player who we don't want going into the National League.

So was he performing way above his level back then or has his confidence taken a severe knock.

I think every professional keeper who starts has had a good run, they wouldn't be there if they hadn't. For me the number one attribute for a keeper has to be mental strength, a player that can snap back into form after 1 or 2 bad games. That isn't Oxley IMO, he has some good technical attributes but when he loses confidence he looks shaky for months.

I think every professional keeper who starts has had a good run, they wouldn't be there if they hadn't. For me the number one attribute for a keeper has to be mental strength, a player that can snap back into form after 1 or 2 bad games. That isn't Oxley IMO, he has some good technical attributes but when he loses confidence he looks shaky for months.
Agree, its totally a confidence thing with keepers, look at joe hart!

Back