• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What are you having for lunch? (rolling thread)

Your probably right in that assumption. My 2 sons ( 37 & 35 ) wont touch them, but neither will they go near black pudding, pigs kidney & liver which i consume regularly!.
Always a vain person, i'd consider myself as being at a 'mature age'!! :Whistling:

I seem to remember you had a nice smile.Presume you haven't lost that?

Your probably right in that assumption. My 2 sons ( 37 & 35 ) wont touch them, but neither will they go near black pudding, pigs kidney & liver which i consume regularly!.
Always a vain person, i'd consider myself as being at a 'mature age'!! :Whistling:

It's a different era, I'm the same as your son's (early 40's...... ok late 40's) :Sad: Those type of foods were from WWII and rationing, my mum and dad were bought up on it so when I was young, my mum use to cook it for the family (bloody child abuse if you ask me).

Always home made-
Liver and bacon.
Steak and Kidney pie.
Loads of other Offal dishes. I refused to eat it........ Christ I was hungry. Back then (70's kid), if you didn't eat it, you're not getting anything else and you go hungry.

It's a different era, I'm the same as your son's (early 40's...... ok late 40's) :Sad: Those type of foods were from WWII and rationing, my mum and dad were bought up on it so when I was young, my mum use to cook it for the family (bloody child abuse if you ask me).
Always home made-
Liver and bacon.
Steak and Kidney pie.
Loads of other Offal dishes. I refused to eat it........ Christ I was hungry. Back then (70's kid), if you didn't eat it, you're not getting anything else and you go hungry.

Interesting you say that. We have Liver, Bacon, Peas, fried onions & potatos at least once a fortnight.
And a home made steak & kidney pie, probably every 2-3 weeks, i'd kill for!. Fortunately my 'other half' is a great cook, & enjoys making them, usually overnight in the 'slow cooker'.

Interesting you say that. We have Liver, Bacon, Peas, fried onions & potatos at least once a fortnight.
And a home made steak & kidney pie, probably every 2-3 weeks, i'd kill for!. Fortunately my 'other half' is a great cook, & enjoys making them, usually overnight in the 'slow cooker'.

They're definitely old school meals. You or your wife was brought up on them and the generation carries on. As for home cooking, my mum was a a great cook too (not now, she has MS). I use to hate it if my mum was at work eg and my dad had to cook :Cry:

Luckily, in the late 70's early 80's my Mum was introduced to Pasta eg, so we stopped being cannibals (some of the time) :Highfive:

They're definitely old school meals. You or your wife was brought up on them and the generation carries on. As for home cooking, my mum was a a great cook too (not now, she has MS). I use to hate it if my mum was at work eg and my dad had to cook :Cry:
Luckily, in the late 70's early 80's my Mum was introduced to Pasta eg, so we stopped being cannibals (some of the time) :Highfive:

We actually have a varied healthy diet!. My long term partner enjoys making & preparing meals!. She'll usually make a chicken rissotto or chicken sweet & sour/ chicken curry on a Fri, enough for Fri & Mon. Winter time Casseroles or Stews with every vegetable you can think off, cooked overnight in slow cooker. Probably have a pasta dish with mushrooms, ham in carbonara sauce one day as well. Local Butchers own sausages, with mash, peas & onions one day. And if we go to Shoebury east beach for a tranquil walk, we're pop into Asda's beforehand, & get one of their 'make while you wait' pizzas ( which are lovely ) for £4!. She will add mushrooms etc to that. Same thing in Domino's etc probably cost £14?.
And as your aware i probably have salmon, trout, kippers or seafood for brunch/lunch most days!.
Before i took early retirement 2 years ago, had sandwiches for lunch at work for 47 years, so it's nice now to 'push the boat out'!.

classic co-op meal deal:

chicken and bacon sandwich
steak mccoys
coke zero
snickers

Grilled smoked trout fillet on skillet, & piled into 2 wholemeal rolls, skin & all, about 11am. Then 2 1/2 hrs later a lovely pork pie, from The Garrison bakery at East beach, Shoebury!.

We actually have a varied healthy diet!. My long term partner enjoys making & preparing meals!. She'll usually make a chicken rissotto or chicken sweet & sour/ chicken curry on a Fri, enough for Fri & Mon. Winter time Casseroles or Stews with every vegetable you can think off, cooked overnight in slow cooker. Probably have a pasta dish with mushrooms, ham in carbonara sauce one day as well. Local Butchers own sausages, with mash, peas & onions one day. And if we go to Shoebury east beach for a tranquil walk, we're pop into Asda's beforehand, & get one of their 'make while you wait' pizzas ( which are lovely ) for £4!. She will add mushrooms etc to that. Same thing in Domino's etc probably cost £14?.
And as your aware i probably have salmon, trout, kippers or seafood for brunch/lunch most days!.
Before i took early retirement 2 years ago, had sandwiches for lunch at work for 47 years, so it's nice now to 'push the boat out'!.

As a youngster in the early 60's right through to the 70's my diet of irish stews,dumplings,breast of lamb,rabbit stew,all manor of pies,loads of fish mainly on fridays soused spratts being a favourite,all kinds of veg and always had a roast dinner on sunday,must be a boomers thing?maybe why i'm quiet portly:Winking: mind i'm always up for Chinese or Curry but i must say seafood is king.

As a youngster in the early 60's right through to the 70's my diet of irish stews,dumplings,breast of lamb,rabbit stew,all manor of pies,loads of fish mainly on fridays soused spratts being a favourite,all kinds of veg and always had a roast dinner on sunday,must be a boomers thing?maybe why i'm quiet portly:Winking: mind i'm always up for Chinese or Curry but i must say seafood is king.

Coincidence you mention Spratt's. When i was at The Old Town last Fri buying my weekend supply, i noticed a tray of smoked Spratt's, which i've never had before.
So when i venture there on Fri, i'll be buying some, & have them for lunch, along with some Jellied Eels!

Back