• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

It's comical the amount of angst over that penalty. It's a real shame for him, because as others have pointed out, he was Barnet's penalty taker the season before, and was successful.

Obviously in hindsight, he should have put his laces through it, because according to fans that is an acceptable way to miss a penalty. Confidence has a big part to play in moments like that.

It's comical the amount of angst over that penalty. It's a real shame for him, because as others have pointed out, he was Barnet's penalty taker the season before, and was successful.

Obviously in hindsight, he should have put his laces through it, because according to fans that is an acceptable way to miss a penalty. Confidence has a big part to play in moments like that.

If ANG had not been so unprofessional and stole the ball from Demi in the previous penalty. Then Akinola would have never been taking it and we might still be in L2.

Akinola should be kept as he arrived with a long term problem and hopefully after his recent op we will see the best of him next term.

ANG as well as overdo it out wide he didn't shoot when he should or square a simple pass for a tap in etc. Just for his actions at Scunny, including their equaliser, I would happily move him on.

@MCB might be able to confirm, but as I understand it, Akinola scored loads of penalties for Barnet and the slow motion walk up is just his style. Think so many were ****ed about it because of how important it was and I think the run up just comes across as a bit arrogant.

If someone had tried and failed a panenka, or tried to recreate the Pires/Henry pass penalty (albeit successfully), that would be pretty unforgivable. But plenty of players have unique run ups. Ivan Toney basically takes one step forward and hits it!

If ANG had not been so unprofessional and stole the ball from Demi in the previous penalty. Then Akinola would have never been taking it and we might still be in L2.

Akinola should be kept as he arrived with a long term problem and hopefully after his recent op we will see the best of him next term.

ANG as well as overdo it out wide he didn't shoot when he should or square a simple pass for a tap in etc. Just for his actions at Scunny, including their equaliser, I would happily move him on.

Nope. Molesley even came out and stated that Akinola is the designated penalty taker.

Not sure how that relates to ANG either.

Interesting how Akinola and ANG get so much stick for their penalties yet Rush gets nothing after his poor penalty and the 1-on-1 miss in the last game against Newport.

Probably because Matt Rush is a 19 year old boy learning his trade. Where as ANG is an older player we actually paid money for, and Akinola is an experienced footballer who was given the designated number 9 shirt to display this.

If you seriously cannot tell the difference between them then I am just not sure for you.

Although that sympathy for a kid still learning his trade never seemed to extend to Emile Acquah:Unsure:

Probably because Matt Rush is a 19 year old boy learning his trade. Where as ANG is an older player we actually paid money for, and Akinola is an experienced footballer who was given the designated number 9 shirt to display this.

If you seriously cannot tell the difference between them then I am just not sure for you.

So because he is young he can not get criticized, but a 28 year old professional with experience will get constant abuse for one missed penalty?

For what it is worth, Matt Rush is a 20 year old, same age as Acquah was this season but didn't stop to abuse he received on a regular basis.

What is the difference there?

Although that sympathy for a kid still learning his trade never seemed to extend to Emile Acquah:Unsure:

True, I suppose.

But I think the case is more Matt Rush actually showed us there is something to work off. With Emile it felt like there wasn't anything he actually done that was good or even somewhat effective.

I also massively trust Ricky Duncans opinion. He is known for banging down Rons door to keep as many young lads on for as long as possible despite not doing much (Harry Phillips still is contracted and Michael Klass was held for long)

So when he even feels there is no point keeping Emile on, to me, that holds serious weight.

Interesting, but only rumours at the moment. Wouldn't be bothered if both went and can see Akinola doing well at Barnet (like Barratt at Maidenhead). Would give space in the budget to bring in a striker and a creative midfielder.

Barrett is far better than Akinola.

So because he is young he can not get criticized, but a 28 year old professional with experience will get constant abuse for one missed penalty?

For what it is worth, Matt Rush is a 20 year old, same age as Acquah was this season but didn't stop to abuse he received on a regular basis.

What is the difference there?

I should have made it clear, of course I understand that young players aren't immune from criticism.

I explained a bit more on the Rush vs Acquah comparisons in my reply to Yorkshire.

But just quickly, Emile had more than enough chances to show us something. 40 appearances in fact. Matt Rush showed us more in his stint in those last 4 games. All the staff saw it, hence why Acquah is gone and Rush is offered a new deal.

@MCB might be able to confirm, but as I understand it, Akinola scored loads of penalties for Barnet and the slow motion walk up is just his style. Think so many were ****ed about it because of how important it was and I think the run up just comes across as a bit arrogant.

If someone had tried and failed a panenka, or tried to recreate the Pires/Henry pass penalty (albeit successfully), that would be pretty unforgivable. But plenty of players have unique run ups. Ivan Toney basically takes one step forward and hits it!
Toney has a great penalty record too. Lyle Taylor has a slow walk up style and since he switched to that his penalty record has been excellent. In general the style usually works.

Nope. Molesley even came out and stated that Akinola is the designated penalty taker.

Not sure how that relates to ANG either.

Interesting how Akinola and ANG get so much stick for their penalties yet Rush gets nothing after his poor penalty and the 1-on-1 miss in the last game against Newport.

Demetriou was the designated penalty taker until ANG nicked the ball off off him. If that had not happened then Akinola would have never been taking the next one.

People claiming it didn't matter because ANG scored anyway are missing the bigger picture. Thats why it relates to ANG because it became areal pressure penalty. Just like when Wright missed one at MK because Ranger had stolen the previous one.

Matt Rush did not take a bad pen it was just a good save. There is a complete difference.

I should have made it clear, of course I understand that young players aren't immune from criticism.

I explained a bit more on the Rush vs Acquah comparisons in my reply to Yorkshire.

But just quickly, Emile had more than enough chances to show us something. 40 appearances in fact. Matt Rush showed us more in his stint in those last 4 games. All the staff saw it, hence why Acquah is gone and Rush is offered a new deal.

My original comment wasn't meant to be anything negative to Rush, I like him and hope he continues to progress as a regular first team player.

It is more of the fact that some players get bashed for their mistakes, while others who do similar are immune (not saying from you, but from others).

As for Acquah, he struggled to impress but was also an inexperienced kid thrown into a side in a horrible form and expected to lead the line when given little to no support.

Demetriou was the designated penalty taker until ANG nicked the ball off off him. If that had not happened then Akinola would have never been taking the next one.

So you're saying Molesley took Demetriou off penalty duty because ANG took it off him? Sure.

Matt Rush did not take a bad pen it was just a good save. There is a complete difference.

There was very little difference in the penalties. If anything, Rush's was a couple of inches closer to the corner.

People claiming it didn't matter because ANG scored anyway are missing the bigger picture. Thats why it relates to ANG because it became areal pressure penalty. Just like when Wright missed one at MK because Ranger had stolen the previous one.

Agree with pretty much all of this bar the Rush pen, I thought it was a poor pen he didnt seem like he had confidence he would score.

BUt as for ANG you are spot on and i actually sponsored his away shirt last season lol

I’d be a bit gutted if Akinola left, he is a proven Goalscorer in the National League. He hasn’t had a chance to play under Brown and maybe Brown’s system will suit his style of play. I’d just make sure he stays well away from penalties because that was not his finest moment.

As for ANG I’m not fussed, but wouldn’t be unhappy if we kept hold of him.
I guess if akinola does go then brown doesn’t think he’ll suit his style of play

I guess if akinola does go then brown doesn’t think he’ll suit his style of play

Yeah I also don't think Akinola suits trying to sit on a 1 goal lead either but to be fair I don't think many players do.

I've been looking forward to seeing a fit Akinola play for us in a role that suits him. Last season he arrived and had to wait on the sidelines due to our embargo, plus it seems he was never properly fit. Then he had to play in a role that isn't him due to our attacking limitations... with little to no service or support.

As for ANG... I liked him at first, but he seemed to regress and do more and more of his schtick with no end product.

Out of the 2, I'd quite like us to hang on to Sim and let ANG go.

Acquah run like an 38 year old forward on his last legs, just jog around and only give 50%, that why he got abuse. He is the most easy forward for an opponent defender to mark, they even can lay on the pitch, chill out with a drink ? when playing against him.

Back