• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United duo linked with switch to Barnet

Putting the issue of the penalty aside, Akinola was a miserable failure as a goal scorer, on a par with Goodship. No loss, neither is George, who flattered to deceive but seldom produced anything. A couple of poor signings and I have no doubt Brown soon sussed that out.

Putting the issue of the penalty aside, Akinola was a miserable failure as a goal scorer, on a par with Goodship. No loss, neither is George, who flattered to deceive but seldom produced anything. A couple of poor signings and I have no doubt Brown soon sussed that out.
SA only had one season Goodship had 3. If he is fit it maybe worth having a full look at this. For me he isnt a number 9 no matter what he thinks, he looks better wide of a front 3 for me. Personally I do not see PB playing that way but he may have changed over the years he has been away

SA only had one season Goodship had 3. If he is fit it maybe worth having a full look at this. For me he isnt a number 9 no matter what he thinks, he looks better wide of a front 3 for me. Personally I do not see PB playing that way but he may have changed over the years he has been away
Yep, I reckon exposing himself to the Indian Super League, famous for its cutting edge tactics, has had a fundamentally profound effect on his footballing philosophy.

From what I saw on the pitch, I’d definitely like us to keep Akinola. I don’t know how he was behind the scenes and of course that can sometimes be a factor in someone not ‘fitting in’

SZ: Why do we always sign old players or players with bad goalscoring records?

Also SZ: 'Bye' when our 28 year old striker with a proven record of goalscoring in the National League is linked with a move away.

Ridiculous. If we were signing somebody of Akinola's age and record we would all be delighted.

Many people were excited about Akinola signing and I certainly hoped he would be a success with us. Sadly, he found good positions, buzzed about like a bee on speed, held the ball too long and was a massive disappointment. Maybe he was carrying an injury. Perhaps he was just going through on off time. Who knows? What I do know is, his time with us was not good for him or us. If he's going then yes, Bye, if he stays let's hope he can produce better. Either way no biggy.

As for ANG, he looks a nearly man. Nearly good. I think there is more in his locker but I suspect the way he was dropped there must be more than just doubt in his ability. I guess we will never know. Good luck to them both if they go.
Bye

I'm glass half-full with Akinola. Looked like he was playing through injury towards the end of the season. He worked hard, was very good in the air and had a unique talent for wriggling out of tough situations. I genuinely think he will be an asset if he stays, especially given his good record at National League level, and it would be a mistake if he is let go. I'm always worried with the 'easily replaceable' concept, as that usually bites us in the backside. Unless Brown genuinely has a suitable replacement in mind I think it's a big risk.

As for ANG, it's a difficult one because I largely agree with the notion that he frustrates and flatters to deceive but in his last couple of appearances he actually stepped up and his use of the ball improved. His winner against Harrogate was also a result of being in the right place at the right time. Would I keep him? Hmmm.

Admittedly my opinion in this post reflects my lack of confidence in signing the right players but I'm not a fan of 'tearing up contracts' unless we genuinely need to.

I like both players TBH , we were a better side when Sim was playing and i believe with better players around him he could bag 15 goals in the NL for us .

ANG is a strange one , he's dribbling and balance on the ball is sublime at times, he travels so well with the ball but then seems to either make the wrong decision or simply loses it in the important moments .

I think there is a player in there somewhere but im guessing PB doesn't feel like we have the time to develop as next year is crucial we get promoted ......we can;t afford any passengers next season .

I'm glass half-full with Akinola. Looked like he was playing through injury towards the end of the season. He worked hard, was very good in the air and had a unique talent for wriggling out of tough situations. I genuinely think he will be an asset if he stays, especially given his good record at National League level, and it would be a mistake if he is let go. I'm always worried with the 'easily replaceable' concept, as that usually bites us in the backside. Unless Brown genuinely has a suitable replacement in mind I think it's a big risk.

As for ANG, it's a difficult one because I largely agree with the notion that he frustrates and flatters to deceive but in his last couple of appearances he actually stepped up and his use of the ball improved. His winner against Harrogate was also a result of being in the right place at the right time. Would I keep him? Hmmm.

Admittedly my opinion in this post reflects my lack of confidence in signing the right players but I'm not a fan of 'tearing up contracts' unless we genuinely need to.

Akinola had a miserable season but I suspect an awful lot of that could be fixed by him having a proper pre-season. There's certainly ability there, the attitude seemed right and he's had success at this level in the past. Give him a decent pre-season and any decent manager should be able to get an above average player at this level out of him.

I also think ANG has all the attributes required but we'll need a good manager to give him the confidence and put him in the position to succeed.

Both have talent, especially their close control when multiple opposition players descend upon them. ANG seems very much to be confidence player and he didn't have much of that last season. As for Akinola, he was no worse than the rest of the team but he did have a fair old spring in his step for headers. Provided PB can harness what they are good at to hard work and commitment, then I'd be very happy to keep the pair of them.

Barnet have been such a great feeder club for us it would be a nice gesture to throw them a few crumbs from our banquet.

It's ridiculous how much SZ turned on Akinola just because of one crap penalty, he's a proven goalscorer at this level and it will be a loss if we lose him.

I remember Harry lennon standing in a pub with some dover players after a loss. I thought he was going to be lynched!

I remember Harry lennon standing in a pub with some dover players after a loss. I thought he was going to be lynched!
I reckon Southend supporters are normally the most fair minded, unbiased, subdued and reasonable group of people that I have come across in life. Sadly, very occasionally they remind me of gremlins after being soaked with rainwater leaks from the West or East Stands. It's not really their fault but their reactions are frightening until the dry weather eases their mood.

Been there with that one.
Not quite a fair comparison. The facts are Akinola missed a penalty, or rather his effort was saved.
At our lowest ebb, one of ours was drinking (lemonade, or whatever) with some of the the non-league team that had just knocked us out of the FA Cup.
Judging by those famous few seconds of footage, he seemed to be having a good time.
The club were the ones who banned Lennon, just to remind.

I quite liked them both, they both had something about them. At the time akinola did freshen the place up when he arrived and he did most things right apart from score goals of course.

I could be wrong but i got the impression ANG thought he was barry big spuds, but without any end product at all. But you need pacey players who are willing to take people on.

Bottom line for me though is i wouldnt lose any sleep if they both went. Which says it all i guess.

Last edited:
I always judge these type of wingers/forwards over recent times on whether I’d still rather have David Worrall over them and yes, I would...

Back