• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Simeon Akinola and Ashley Nathaniel-George are sidelined for Southend United

Didn't Akinola have surgery at the end of the season on an injury as well?

So sadly Covid for Sim who as stated must have still been in recovery mode from operation and now news of complicated knee surgery for ANG. Presumably possible significant impact on pre-season training for both?

Heres hoping for a full and speedy recovery for both and no lingering after effects for Sim , like Kyle Taylor who took a while to get going again

So sadly Covid for Sim who as stated must have still been in recovery mode from operation and now news of complicated knee surgery for ANG. Presumably possible significant impact on pre-season training for both?

Heres hoping for a full and speedy recovery for both and no lingering after effects for Sim , like Kyle Taylor who took a while to get going again

I worry for Sim, He didn't really look at his best at the end of last season, probably due to injury. Now his pre-season this season is being impacted. I just hope we have a big enough squad to allow him the time he needs to get properly fit before he comes back.

I worry for Sim, He didn't really look at his best at the end of last season, probably due to injury. Now his pre-season this season is being impacted. I just hope we have a big enough squad to allow him the time he needs to get properly fit before he comes back.
You have to wonder if he'll be the same player. I remember years ago watching him play for Braintree in the NL (Vanarama as it was) and he was dynamite, I was therefore quite excited when we signed him. He's had a funny old start to his life at SUFC, so to get firing again .. hmmm .. well I'm hoping it happens as there's definitely a player in there somewhere who can excel at this level.

I dont think we'll see either play for the club again.
I agree - Brown almost seems to ignore that Akinola exists when he speaks. If he was part of the plans then we could expect:

"truth be told, Sim had a great goalscoring record at Barnet in the National League and we didn't see the best of him last season because he wasn't fully fit. However when he is and with the quality players he'll have around him then he'll be a key player for us this season"

He's never said anything like that, hardly even gives him a mention. Therefore I think he's on his way out - same goes for ANG. Possibly Sim could be a high earner (relative to the rest of the squad) and Brown would rather use the wages elsewhere?

I hope we keep both and think we'd have a tough job replacing them with better players at this level.

Akinola in particular could be a big player for us. He wasn't given a fair crack of the whip last season, being asked to lead the line for a team that couldn't build or sustain attacks for toffee. I think he'd shine either playing from the left in a 4-3-3 or as part of a strike partnership in a 4-4-2.

ANG for his flaws (mainly decision making) possesses trickery and a turn of pace that is sorely lacking in the rest of the squad and those are attributes that would be more than handy coming up against the cloggers with the turning radius of a battleship in this league.

ANG's biggest floor was stealing that pen from Demi. That was unforgivable and we may still be a league club when you remeber the next two were missed.

As for the growing and almost inevitable false claims that its just PB not liking them personally theories.......You never know it might just be the players aren't to keen on these two and the the likes of RD and CF aren't impressed either.

I hope we keep both and think we'd have a tough job replacing them with better players at this level.

Akinola in particular could be a big player for us. He wasn't given a fair crack of the whip last season, being asked to lead the line for a team that couldn't build or sustain attacks for toffee. I think he'd shine either playing from the left in a 4-3-3 or as part of a strike partnership in a 4-4-2.

ANG for his flaws (mainly decision making) possesses trickery and a turn of pace that is sorely lacking in the rest of the squad and those are attributes that would be more than handy coming up against the cloggers with the turning radius of a battleship in this league.

Playing devils advocate (as I really hope it works out for Sim), maybe the reason we "couldn't build or sustain attacks for toffee" was because he was leading the line? When you're the only one up front, if you're not used to playing that role, it must be very difficult.

Playing devils advocate (as I really hope it works out for Sim), maybe the reason we "couldn't build or sustain attacks for toffee" was because he was leading the line? When you're the only one up front, if you're not used to playing that role, it must be very difficult.

Both exactly right. Was signed as a "9" or centre forward to us old people and it's quite obvious that's not his game. Needs to be running onto the ball rather than receiving with his back to goal.

Whether PB sees him in his team, I'm not sure (I think Murphy will be the channel runner alongside a big centre forward in a 442).

Both exactly right. Was signed as a "9" or centre forward to us old people and it's quite obvious that's not his game. Needs to be running onto the ball rather than receiving with his back to goal.

Whether PB sees him in his team, I'm not sure (I think Murphy will be the channel runner alongside a big centre forward in a 442).

I think he's comfortable with his back to goal, I just think he'd rather it was at a height and proximity for him to control the ball rather than being played over his head, or no-where near him.

Back