• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings GWR v Southend United - Tuesday 20 July

Ok my take is this I say things how I see it, and I wont please everyone. each season we are getting nearer and nearer to the same level as GWR I hope to god I never have to go to this match, where it is played at Roots hall, as Wakering are the bigger club. Hence why the result and standard gets every so slightly closer each season.

through all the 'its purely a run out its purely for fitness' which I totally and whole heartedly agree, I thought we looked poor, I basically thought the game didn't have a league standard player across the 33 individuals that took place. Of course I could well be wrong.

Loui Walsh looked extremely good and very hungry. Ogogo looked as though he is up for it, Dunne looked like a dad with a role up in one hand trying to have a kick about in a pub car park to impress a couple of broads on another table.. huge shoulders pot belly and sparrow legs mum dad tattoos, and got to say it, looked ****ed!! although I loved listening to him, as brown says hes clearly a leader (as is agogo) you know the standards have dropped when you look at JD and say that fellas a good player (which he is, but plenty on here don't think so)

The trialist forwards, as crap as any trialist forward from a premier league U21 club will always be (and what a daunting scenario it must be for these young kids) one of them was calling Tom Clifford 'Bro'' Bro pass me the ball etc etc.. says how little time they get to spend and stamp there mark, the big forward that came on half time, think Emile Aqua, remember him?

My analysis could mean absolute toffee for what's here to come for the season, but my genuine concern is this.

its been noted by posters who believe they are in the know, that there are reasons behind the scenes that are currently hampering signings etc, that they cant disclose

5 quick signings and then nothing, missing out on targets, and already now looking at premier league U21 load players.

A coach that lasted 4 days then resigning (but its ok as he came in to tell the club he has had a change of heart

No mention of filling that void (that to me is almost as scandalous as going into pre season without a management team ??

I would love for a more intrusive news reporter who can really ask some questions that need answering..

whats happened to SOS has the group been disbanded ? are they still holding RM to account and keeping close tabs on the current plight of the club?

Concerned from Southchurch

I can 100% ensure you that both Murphy & Ogogo were our number 1 targets are we have them onboard. I don’t know about the others, but I know they were identified as big players for the side.

Every Club misses out on targets, whether you are Southend in the National League, or Man City or Man United and everyone in between. That’s why managers, scouts, director of football, head of recruitment, or whoever makes the decision gets multiple targets for each position. What I will say is if we Tilson had got his number 1 target as a forward, we never would have signed Freddy Eastwood…

Also, loanees were always part of the plan. The idea is to have more “long term” loanees as opposed to stop gaps here and there like we’ve done in the past. These players will “top up” the squad, and not too many in one position so we are left short when loans expire or players are recalled.

The first team coach was personal reasons why he left, and I certainly won’t go into them, however with PB, CF & RD we have enough coaches if we didn’t bring in a first team coach, but the plan still is to bring in one. Demi has, I’m led to believe, had an input into sessions previously, as did Cox when he was here. Whilst it was a blow for the coach to go, as he’d worked behind the scenes for us too, his position is more a “nice to have”.

Things are still bubbling away, and I wouldn’t be surprised to have more players into training, and maybe even a new face by the weekend (although I’m told next week is more realistic, but 24 hours is a long time in football).

Finally, the “limited budget”, I wouldn’t read too much into that. He is hardly likely to say “I’ve got a wedge burning a hole in my pocket, I’ll pay players anything they want”. PB does have a budget, which was agreed on by all the players (not actual players) before the end of last season, and we have missed out on players on wages (one player signed for another NL club for £3k a week), but we aren’t getting monkeys because we are paying peanuts. There is scope to make signings, and the hope is to shift on a few too, either on loan or permanently.

Are suggesting after all these years we are gonna live within our means? ?
Agreed we seem to have stumbled a bit after flying out of the blocks in early June. Well certainly by SUFC standards.

The question is what are our means?.....No of us on here can safely say how many will turn up for games and even many regular seasos are playing the wait and see game.

Add the threat of Covid rules changing and a shocking home fixture list before Christmas.....Tuesday night do us no good etc.

Then add the fact that there is no window and more players available than ever.....Why the rush, they give out the medals in May not the end of August..... no need to panic sign another Akinola already injured/Ranger type player.

Plus with our never ending injury curse, saving a wage or two could be vital come half way through October.....If we could have replaced Hooper or Hump within a couple of weeks of their injury we would most likely still be an L1 club.

These fixtures have one purpose, to get the players fit, you cannot tell anything about the new signings or triallists. Im sure some of our worst ever players have probably shone in pre-season.

Thats fair enough ,im sure he will get minutes tomorrow night against Spammers xi

I wonder what our means are too and maybe further clarity can be sought from our helpful Zoom meetings with Ron and Tom

Ron understandably had to act on the budget, although far too late of course, and no doubt wishes to avoid any more Court, Tax and Embargo issues

He advised us how he had to slash the budget necessarily. How far was this reduced?

Yes there are some clubs we face with better budgets, others no doubt with far less and living off volunteers and being practically part time

However am I correct in thinking we receive around £850,000 as a parachute payment this year?
Have we not received payments for Kenny Coker and the young Goalie who went to Man City ?? Would that add up to around £1million before we get underway , with other income
Just wondering, anybody with a clearer view,please? if not can we check , about the Parachute payments at the next get together, and then there is another 50% to come next year, if we sadly remained down

Suggests to me we have a bigger potty to utilise than many think and perhaps wisely trying to keep it quiet?
Ron like him or not has kept us afloat in terms of millions apparently but equally also can we clarify whether our Chairman and or family members take any salary annually from the club. ?
One club nearby allegedly forks out a large 6 figure sum annually to the Chairman

I wonder what our means are too and maybe further clarity can be sought from our helpful Zoom meetings with Ron and Tom

Ron understandably had to act on the budget, although far too late of course, and no doubt wishes to avoid any more Court, Tax and Embargo issues

He advised us how he had to slash the budget necessarily. How far was this reduced?

Yes there are some clubs we face with better budgets, others no doubt with far less and living off volunteers and being practically part time

However am I correct in thinking we receive around £850,000 as a parachute payment this year?
Have we not received payments for Kenny Coker and the young Goalie who went to Man City ?? Would that add up to around £1million before we get underway , with other income
Just wondering, anybody with a clearer view,please? if not can we check , about the Parachute payments at the next get together, and then there is another 50% to come next year, if we sadly remained down

Suggests to me we have a bigger potty to utilise than many think and perhaps wisely trying to keep it quiet?
Ron like him or not has kept us afloat in terms of millions apparently but equally also can we clarify whether our Chairman and or family members take any salary annually from the club. ?
One club nearby allegedly forks out a large 6 figure sum annually to the Chairman
A lot of questions there @Barry.C. I'm all for transparency but I think it very unlikely that what we get as income, be it current or capital, would be divulged to supporters. Seems to me even shareholders don't get told.

A lot of questions there @Barry.C. I'm all for transparency but I think it very unlikely that what we get as income, be it current or capital, would be divulged to supporters. Seems to me even shareholders don't get told.
Yes best to boil it down to simple ones like, how many more signings will be made, how many loanees, and is there a contingency for buying more players if we are getting spanked every game.

Reactions: RHB

We're still waiting on the accounts so it'll be a long shot!

Being very positive here, brilliant to see over 2, 300 supporters and rising have bought season cards, We should be able to see how that compares with other clubs

Phil suggests 3000 would be amazing and i agree, What a statement that makes about the glorious Shrimper supporters. Its also a minimum close to £500, 000 into the pot for around 2300 allowing for not all tickets are adults, otherwise closer to £600k,

So Ron has got close to £1.5m for starters, not bad, maybe we could afford another decent striker, given the apparent wage slashing this year according to Ron

As I understand it the parachute payments remain as we get the standard payment £850,000 but not the £450k extra support payment, Is it unreasonable to ask to confirm as its open EFL policy isnt it ?

These fixtures have one purpose, to get the players fit, you cannot tell anything about the new signings or triallists. Im sure some of our worst ever players have probably shone in pre-season.

Pre-season matches have many purposes. One is fitness. Another is a chance to work on patterns that the manager wants to play during the season. (Even my son's U14 team is currently doing that.) I would argue that, given how brittle we've been over the last 2 seasons, a major purpose is to instil a winning mentality.

I’m not sure you can tell if a team/player will be good against part-time opposition several divisions lower like Great Wakering but I think you can see when teams/players are bad.

Back