• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend v West Ham X1 23rd July

Seaden definitely looked off his mark last night, albeit a few good saves in there.

That first goal is something that has happened so many times last season. Not the goalkeeper mistake, but as soon as the opposition makes a shot the defence stands still. Gives their striker the chance to gamble and beat our players to it.

Some might be impressed by Dunne's commitment for our goal, but his first touch was so poor that his second was a tackle. Second game for him in several months, so give him the benefit of the doubt, but I will worry if that becomes a recurring theme.

Why do we have to go to west hams website to see highlights. Did ron rent them our camera for the night?

Why do we have to go to west hams website to see highlights. Did ron rent them our camera for the night?
Probably because we don’t have a streaming partner to record the game I reckon, so we would have to pay West Ham to pu5 it on our website. Probably not much of a cost but every little helps

Some very harsh views on here I have to say. West Ham kids were faster, slicker and way more skilful than our team which really shouldn’t be that much of a surprise to anyone who has watched the team for the last few years.

What I took away from the game and the Great Wakering game was we are clearly just using these as fitness exercises and trial games right now what with the use of more than 20 players in both fixtures with at least 5 trialists (from memory). Once the squad becomes more settled, a few of the expected regulars gain more fitness or return from injury then I would expect to see a more settled team in the last couple of friendlies and looking a lot more like our first team. Then I think would be a better time to judge.

I actually thought it was a fun game to watch.

Some very harsh views on here I have to say. West Ham kids were faster, slicker and way more skilful than our team which really shouldn’t be that much of a surprise to anyone who has watched the team for the last few years.

What I took away from the game and the Great Wakering game was we are clearly just using these as fitness exercises and trial games right now what with the use of more than 20 players in both fixtures with at least 5 trialists (from memory). Once the squad becomes more settled, a few of the expected regulars gain more fitness or return from injury then I would expect to see a more settled team in the last couple of friendlies and looking a lot more like our first team. Then I think would be a better time to judge.

I actually thought it was a fun game to watch.
Stop being rational, this is shrimperzone.....

some of you posters should also remember we also had a lot of young players playing ,also not easy to Gel together as a team when theres so many substitutions. It was all about getting some mileage into the legs of players,I tell you know if we played them again just before the season starts and field our first x1 the result would not be 5-1 to them ,in fact we would beat them im sure.

Couple of decent stops by Seaden but 3 of the goals were his fault. Needs to sort his hands out as they appeared tangled over each other a few times leading to unacceptable spillages……need a reliable keeper in if Arnold is gonna be out for a while.

Having watched the 'highlights' on the WHU website, it looked a real horror show. Obviously edited to show the best of West Ham clips with very little seen of Southend but even so we looked woeful, apart from the goal. I know the result was meaningless, it's a fitness thing and we are weeks behind them in those terms, the mass substitutions destroyed any semblance of an organised team etc etc but this was surely a massive reality check for Brown and for supporters. With a month to go to get into shape there is clearly plenty of work to do and although it is far too early to write us off no one can be under any illusions as to how big a challenge lies ahead.

Last season we beat Great Wakering 2-0 in a pre-season game and then lost 3-1 to W*** H**’s kids. Unlike last season we’ve been able to make signings and have got the time for a proper pre-season.

The benefit of playing against a Prem u23 side is that it gives us opportunity to see if anyone we would need is available and willing to come out on loan? Admittedly they may want a higher league...but its possible. Never does any harm to keep in with the Premier League clubs.

Back