• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

I wonder if that's it where Akinde is concerned

Good, our obsession with him is frankly desperate and embarrassing.

I wonder if that's it where Akinde is concerned

Let’s hope so.

Very possible that PB would have come to the conclusion following Dalby's performances so far that Akinde would struggle for football here and the money is better spent elsewhere.
I think that Dalby's performances are irrelevant to us being interested or disinterested in Akinde. We can't challenge for the top 7 with 2 senior strikers. We definitely need another striker who knows this level in there. That's why Brown is still looking for another one.

Mullin has already got injured for Wrexham, likewise the big number nine for Stockport. If that were to happen to Dalby, we'd be really struggling.

I think that Dalby's performances are irrelevant to us being interested or disinterested in Akinde. We can't challenge for the top 7 with 2 senior strikers. We definitely need another striker who knows this level in there. That's why Brown is still looking for another one.

Mullin has already got injured for Wrexham, likewise the big number nine for Stockport. If that were to happen to Dalby, we'd be really struggling.
That's only if we are actually expecting to challenge to win the league this season, given the big spenders I don't think that is our club expectations, if however we do find ourselves in that situation then I suspect some extra cash may be made available to sign another striker.

Besides there is no transfer window so we may be waiting until the planning outcome before we raise some eyebrows

That's only if we are actually expecting to challenge to win the league this season, given the big spenders I don't think that is our club expectations, if however we do find ourselves in that situation then I suspect some extra cash may be made available to sign another striker.

Besides there is no transfer window so we may be waiting until the planning outcome before we raise some eyebrows
I'm not for one minute stating that we are trying to win the league, that would be ludicrous with the money being spent by other teams. Although, Sutton have proved many wrong in that department.

We still need another striker if we are trying to get from between 2nd to 7th though. Two senior ones are not enough as I said above.

I'm not for one minute stating that we are trying to win the league, that would be ludicrous with the money being spent by other teams. Although, Sutton have proved many wrong in that department.

We still need another striker if we are trying to get from between 2nd to 7th though. Two senior ones are not enough as I said above.
I don't disagree but if it was a choice between signing someone on the cheap now to sit on the bench or waiting a couple months and signing a very good striker at this level to challenge as a starter I know what I'd go for.

Right now we need a creative midfielder and a left side cb more

Most agree we need a creative and energetic midfielder as well as a left side centre back

We cant afford to wait much longer on that. With no wins in three . 3 points are very important on Saturday. We risk drifting off 8 points from the leaders early on otherwise and its obvious we need to act sooner than later,

Halifax will not be any mugs , above us in the table with 2 wins

I was impressed with Watching Olayinka set a game alight and Taylor turn on a sixpence, create and re-direct traffic with pace and skill until Covid slowed him down.

Kargbo gets a few minutes here and there, Dunne a bit more but yet to impress

Time for the Management Group to shift a gear sharpish, if you want to be in the hunt, A couple of Olayinkas needed in midfield desperately, staring us in the face ?

Most agree we need a creative and energetic midfielder as well as a left side centre back

We cant afford to wait much longer on that. With no wins in three . 3 points are very important on Saturday. We risk drifting off 8 points from the leaders early on otherwise and its obvious we need to act sooner than later,

I was impressed with Watching Olayinka set a game alight and Taylor turn on a sixpence, create and re-direct traffic with pace and skill until Covid slowed him down.

Time for the Management Group to shift a gear sharpish, if you want to be in the hunt, A couple of Olayinkas needed in midfield desperately, staring us in the face ?
Olayinka would be a dream player for us at this level, strong ,industrious, scores goals and creates ....helps toughen him up for when he will break into Arsenal's Championship squad next year

Olayinka would be a dream player for us at this level, strong ,industrious, scores goals and creates ....helps toughen him up for when he will break into Arsenal's Championship squad next year
1) Still recovering from his groin op and 2) I don't believe the prem allows players to go out on loan outside windows unlike the football league. He'll go to L2 or L1 in Jan I am sure.

Dunne impressed on Saturday against the title favourites. The ball forward for Murphy was excellent as was the ball into Dalby from Harry H....Both balls would get praise in the Championship.

It was our set pieces that were poor.....Fergy had a great chance to win the game from a lovely pass from Dalby. So again its not desperately staring us in the face....We already have some good talent in at CM. Another CB is far more important at this stage.

Dunne impressed on Saturday against the title favourites. The ball forward for Murphy was excellent as was the ball into Dalby from Harry H....Both balls would get praise in the Championship.

It was our set pieces that were poor.....Fergy had a great chance to win the game from a lovely pass from Dalby. So again its not desperately staring us in the face....We already have some good talent in at CM. Another CB is far more important at this stage.
I take your initial point but don’t really see Dunne as an action packed midfielder going forward and we have lost Ogogo temporarily

Ferguson as Brown highlighted is hit and miss and Phillips although improving a little lightweight. Bridge could do a job in Midfield but my personal view remains that we are weak here and not looking like a midfield for title contention, especially if Dunne, Atkinson or Ogogo fall foul to injury again

Dont know if Gard can make the grade following that bad injury, maybe more loan outs vital for development.

I agree we look light, but perhaps PB has decided that he'll try and bring someone in as and when needed, rather than stockpile another 32-year-old on high wages who realistically would be struggling to get into the side right now.

Personally I'm glad our interest in Akinde has waned, he's clearly not bothered about playing for us.

We played Gillingham in that waste of time competition Papa John's in front of a massive crowd of 731, why don't they scrap this joke of a tournament. Anyway back to my point! Gillingham put out a weakened side as did we, but Akinde was not even on the bench so I suspect he is still injured.

I first saw Akinde as a young man, many years ago, playing for Ebbsfleet and strongly hoped we would pick him up at that time, recommending him to the club

As is often the case we didnt make the move for him, despite standing out as local talent and not likely to cost a lot at the time

Living here for some years I have a number of good mates , regular Gills attenders and some of them long term Season ticket holders and close to the club, including being offered a job !!

These supporters to a man were desperate for Akinde to be offloaded to us, not rating him at all ,and I have come to respect their judgement and their insights into the game and various players

On that basis Im so pleased now the transfer is off the agenda and I hope its not re-instated at any point in the future

Above all else we desperately need one or two midfielders who can score unless we expect Dalby and Murphy to get 60 plus between them.

Dunne.393 appearances 15 goals
Ogogo 394 appearances 25 goals
Atkinson 371 appearances 27 goals
Ferguson 195 appearances 19 goals

All of the above include appearances at non league level.

Already this season not a goal other than from the two strikers.

Sadly, until this is addressed I can't see us making a promotion challenge.

Above all else we desperately need one or two midfielders who can score unless we expect Dalby and Murphy to get 60 plus between them.

Dunne.393 appearances 15 goals
Ogogo 394 appearances 25 goals
Atkinson 371 appearances 27 goals
Ferguson 195 appearances 19 goals

All of the above include appearances at non league level.

Already this season not a goal other than from the two strikers.

Sadly, until this is addressed I can't see us making a promotion challenge.

Very good point and we need an Anthony wordsworth type player to chip in.

That said, I'm convinced that Coulson will score 10 this season if fit, and bridge etc will chip in too.

We aren't far away from a top 7 team. But one or two more signings would be the difference between maybe and definately being in the play off hunt

Back