• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
We are in national league with a past his best manager P.B who was sacked by the club once before. Ron i would stop the due diligence it’s not working.

So ok, youve made me bite, the managers who have over seen our down fall from Div 1 ! In under 3 seasons

Powell
Bond
Waddock
Campbell
Molsesly
Brown

All managers of completely different design standard calibre age and experience, all completely ****ing dog **** all worked under RON MARTIN FFS wake up people wake up!!! what Happened to this SOS group? one demonstration and folded shamefull! Took blackpool years... How many further leagues lower do we need to go before we realise we are gone

That depends what you mean, if you mean do I have faith in him to promote us then no, but I can't think of any manager that we could realistically get that would do that with this team, we've got a mid-table squad and whilst I was hopeful to sneak in at 7th I think based on our performances so far we'll come short of that (there are a few people worried about relegation but I think that's a massive overreaction, we're boring but we haven't exactly been threatened by smaller sides like Kings Lynn and Wealdstone even if we struggle to score).

This is pretty much a new squad and our budget can't compete with the financial big boys so I think we need to stabilise ourselves before we try to go for promotion. Whether Brown is capable of doing that I'm undecided on so far.

So ok, youve made me bite, the managers who have over seen our down fall from Div 1 ! In under 3 seasons

Powell
Bond
Waddock
Campbell
Molsesly
Brown

All managers of completely different design standard calibre age and experience, all completely ****ing dog **** all worked under RON MARTIN FFS wake up people wake up!!! what Happened to this SOS group? one demonstration and folded shamefull! Took blackpool years... How many further leagues lower do we need to go before we realise we are gone
Totally agree. It's going to take more than changing the manager to turn the tide. The root problem needs to be executed out.

The club is rotten at its core.

Yes I do actually. We have to get behind Brown and back him. If Ron had the balls to sack Molesley last year when he wanted to and brought PB back then we’d not be non league now.

The club on and off the field has been an utter ****show and I think the culture of losing is still hanging around RH like a bad smell. No point in chopping and changing managers - look where that got us last time.

PB is an experienced manager and given time will get this sorted. Did anyone expect a miracle after just 5 games after the past 2 1/2 seasons. I back him 100% ?

Since he’s been back, Brown has guided us to two wins in eleven games.

In fact, we were only three points away from safety when we were relegated. We had 18 to play for when he joined.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an anti-Brown post, I’ve just seen nothing so far to suggest he’d have kept us up with what was probably a weaker team than what we have now.

Zero evidence of that at all IMO.
True but the improvement in the team was apparent when PB took over with 5 games left. Another 2-3 games and I’m sure he’d have conjured up the one point we’d have needed to stave off relegation.

Likewise I’d have backed him to set up the team to have returned more than 5 points from the first 13 games of the season too ?

True but the improvement in the team was apparent when PB took over with 5 games left. Another 2-3 games and I’m sure he’d have conjured up the one point we’d have needed to stave off relegation.

Likewise I’d have backed him to set up the team to have returned more than 5 points from the first 13 games of the season too ?
The team might have played at a higher tempo once PB joined but MM actually got more points off the six teams PB played, and with a thinner squad for a lot of them.

Never wanted him back. Was surprised so many did. Unlikable, dull football and well past his best.

Supposedly gets his teams hard to beat, fit and organised, there was very little of that on show today by all accounts.

However, it is still to early to pass fair judgement on this spell in charge. I think it is very clear we are lacking in two or three areas and he needs to fix this fast.

Phil Brown came in when we were 7 points off 20th place, we finished the season 6 points off 20th place. His first three games resulted in no goals being scored and one of the most embarrassing defeats to our local rivals up the road.

Even in the two wins that followed we had lower possession, fewer shots, and had slices of luck (Orient missing a sitter and Barrow goalkeeper giving us a 2nd goal).

We know what a Phil Brown team consists of. Hard-working defensive team that makes us hard to beat while relying on a couple of creative players to set up our chances. We have two good strikers in Dalby and Murphy, but who is going to create the chances for them? Bridge maybe, but Brown decides to play him as a wing-back.

Powell
Bond
Waddock
Campbell
Molsesly
Brown

I do agree that Ron Martin is our biggest problem, but like it or not, he’s not going anywhere until the big payday.

After this performance how can anyone have faith in the present Manger. Very few of the basics of a football team were evident, we were ran ragged by a better organised team, who appeared to pass the ball better, created acres of space for each other while we foundered in a sea of mediocrity

Sorry, I can't agree with that. The team may have improved for the draw at Exeter which was Brown's first game in real charge (the Crawley draw was too soon for him to have any impact) but it was followed by his hopeless management around the defeat at Colchester, totally the wrong team selection and the wrong tactics in the most important game of the season. A narrow and lucky win against Orient was followed by a good victory at Barrow (but they were safe by then and just cruising) and finally a disappointing draw against Newport. 9 points from 6 matches. MM had secured 7 points from his final 6 matches. I doubt that his team would have lost at Colchester.

In the end we were three points adrift of safety - effectively four points because of goal difference. That is exactly the same position as we were when Brown took over. So I can't see that he would have done any better if he had another 3 games - we won at Harrogate and drew at Morecambe in those three games by the way.

Last edited:
We are where we are, and in the short term I think PB is what we need for right now. It's our best chance to get back up in the EFL over the next 2 seasons, which I never thought was going to be easy when you look at the pedigree of some of the clubs who have been stuck here for a while. It seems almost impossible to bounce back at the first try. There's not many on here that would support, be patient.. and have the stomach for a young inexperienced manager that has done well at this level to build and develop us a stable, and successful team. MM was that type of candidate. He was quickly demonized and held accountable for all the poor decisions the club had made over the last 3 seasons and facing the drop we made him the "scape goat" You don't hire someone like him under the circumstances he inherited and then not give him enough time to change the culture and build something new. We should have hired someone with experience and one brief , "Keep us up". I doubt PB will stay longer than 2 seasons. After that , if we are in the same situation as now. Let's consider that type of coach again and plan for the long run.

After the trajectory the club has been on its too early to judge. If we haven’t won 3 of the first 10 games I will be worried.

Back