• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Southend United Program debate.

What is your choice on matchday programme provision?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What would also be interesting is how many fans downloaded the digital version for the same match(es). Given the responses to the poll, it would suggest the numbers would be very low, but it would be useful nonetheless if the club harbour genuine thoughts of reducing the carbon footprint.

I also think, however, this matter is too complex for a simple poll to provide answers. For example, if you prefer a hard copy of a programme, do you prefer buying from designated sellers, from a kiosk or bar (because some have said on this thread they are more likely to purchase a programme if it’s available with food/drink) or taking out an online subscription to have hard copies delivered?

For myself, as a 38-year-old, I’ve grown up purchasing hard copies of programmes and have them from all matches when they’ve been available, including last season when I bought every Blues programme home and away that was produced. I don’t usually buy food or drink at home games, so it’s made it more difficult for me to purchase a programme at the game, so I’ve taken out an online subscription. It costs slightly more per issue, but drops on my doormat a day before the game.

I do think it’s important that selling areas are publicised, though. There are no signs at the kiosks or bars saying programmes are available here, so walk-up fans (who might be more likely to buy one than a regular, who either does or doesn’t) won’t know where to get them. There are some in the ticket office, but because the club shop is franchised, they aren’t there, which is another place someone might expect to get hold of a programme. Again, the thought of queuing in the ticket office amongst people buying tickets is unappealing,

The final nuance is the content. I’ve been writing the Academy content in the programme for well over a decade now, so hopefully there aren’t too many typos there! I generally try to keep back some quotes from a coach/player to make it different to the match reports available online. There are also number of other regular contributors I know that put a lot of effort into the articles they write. I would concede that the club could possibly survey supporters to find out exactly what they want to see in their matchday programme; after all, if you put together a publication full of stuff your readers want to digest, they’re more likely to buy it!
Good summary @Exiled Shrimper. I would say that I started this thread as there were many comments on the Zoom meeting thread and I felt the topic deserved it's own thread. I set the poll questions quickly and without too much finesse just to get the discussion moving, and then I moved some of the posts from the Zoom thread as they were pertinent here. With hindsight and a bit more time the options may have been better worded, but you live and learn.

What I have found disappointing is that some posters have taken the opportunity to take a swipe at the intent of the thread and even to suggest that I was looking to manipulate the outcome, which is, quite frankly, total rubbish. Still, I suppose it is easier to criticise than to constructively debate, or better still, start a thread themselves on the topic. It is seldom I respond on stuff like this, but this time I feel the need.

I couldn't get a programme for that game either despite being there very early.
We got there at 16:20 and got one OK (hard copy, non digital, good content, not from a bar).

We were queuing in an orderly fashion about 20 yards from the turnstiles but the 'queue' behind us suddenly broke and we had to run for the turnstiles to get in.

We managed it and got in OK.

Never realised that you were there too...........

Good summary @Exiled Shrimper. I would say that I started this thread as there were many comments on the Zoom meeting thread and I felt the topic deserved it's own thread. I set the poll questions quickly and without too much finesse just to get the discussion moving, and then I moved some of the posts from the Zoom thread as they were pertinent here. With hindsight and a bit more time the options may have been better worded, but you live and learn.

What I have found disappointing is that some posters have taken the opportunity to take a swipe at the intent of the thread and even to suggest that I was looking to manipulate the outcome, which is, quite frankly, total rubbish. Still, I suppose it is easier to criticise than to constructively debate, or better still, start a thread themselves on the topic. It is seldom I respond on stuff like this, but this time I feel the need.

Hi RHB.

I come in peace.

As I said to OBL none of this is personal.

Perhaps though I could remind you of what you said in post 84.

'it takes time to change something that has been in need of change for a long time.'

Saturdays were so much better when I went to away games........

We got there at 16:20 and got one OK (hard copy, non digital, good content, not from a bar).

We were queuing in an orderly fashion about 20 yards from the turnstiles but the 'queue' behind us suddenly broke and we had to run for the turnstiles to get in.

We managed it and got in OK.

Never realised that you were there too...........

Yeah went with G and Phil Stat. & another mate of G's I was driving and got done for speeding on the way back (on the London road).Also there about 4.30.Got in OK but incredibly crowded on the Shelf during the game.

Why do you think the Trust should comment?

As it goes, the Board are as split on this subject as Zoners are. I believe that there are plans for the next home game, but it's not my place to enlarge upon this at this time. I know there are discussions going ahead so actually, although you appear to be criticising the Trust's perceived inaction - we're one step ahead.

For the collectors amongst you, the Trust are planning a programme fair in the not too distant future - maybe we can arrange for any unsold programmes from this season to be available there too?!
Kay
Personally I think the trust should comment because it’s important to supporters and therefore it should be important to the trust.
The fact the trust is looking at it actually shows the trust agrees which is great ?in my opinion.

the comment only needed to be one line.” The trust is aware of the issue and is looking at it”.

Ps.your comment on the board being split is also interesting.

Kay
Personally I think the trust should comment because it’s important to supporters and therefore it should be important to the trust.
The fact the trust is looking at it actually shows the trust agrees which is great ?in my opinion.

the comment only needed to be one line.” The trust is aware of the issue and is looking at it”.

Ps.your comment on the board being split is also interesting.

Spot on UWS…..but not sure that ‘looking at it’ hits the spot…..and for ‘interesting’ it would be more appropriate to insert ‘disappointing’.

Well AAS sales were significantly up on our first game back so I'd like to personally thank the club and perhaps all those who bought it thinking it was the programme.
That's probably because it's full of fresh new content whereas the programme tends to be full of outdated news and adverts.

Looking at the poll results it actually seems that programmes are becoming more of a niche thing with a dedicated hardcore of collectors,If Tom has any sense he'd use this to his advantage and increase the price and print less.

I’ll certainly give AAS a try next time I’m at the Hall. Never really bought fanzines but interested to see the content and let’s be fair we all need a bit of entertainment. Almost bought one last Sat. Will I still pick up a programme? Probably, if it’s easily done.

I’ll certainly give AAS a try next time I’m at the Hall. Never really bought fanzines but interested to see the content and let’s be fair we all need a bit of entertainment. Almost bought one last Sat. Will I still pick up a programme? Probably, if it’s easily done.
AAS is produced 4/5 times a year, so it may not be available next time you go to RH.

AAS is produced 4/5 times a year, so it may not be available next time you go to RH.
Oh I didn’t realise that! Ok well next time I see it being sold I’ll buy one. I guess you can still get hold of the current edition?

I've been reading AAS by subscription for the past few years, a very good read and only £10 a year. How they do it for that price I don't know but it's much appreciated.
As for the programme debate, it's like the loss of shops, people shop online and then complain that the town centres are dead!!! You can't have it both ways, if not enough people buy a programme it becomes uneconomic to produce. I always buy a programme but found that it was over priced and a crap read for most of it.

…..and still sales of the latest paper version were significantly up……
Back numbers are available
  Spoiler:  
It's also available electronically, but don't tell anyone

This is definitely the biggest problem facing our club right now
Maybe in the big scheme of things & the way everything is starting to pan out on the field now (and all the usual issues) it is far from the biggest problem facing the club at the moment, that said however it is yet another example of (a) how poorly the club continues to be run & (b) how dreadfully out of touch they actually are with the fans now.

The club has been an utter embarrassment for the last few years and this is “just another brick in the wall” really ?

Last edited:
Maybe in the big scheme of things the way things are starting to pan out on the field now (and all the usual issues) it is far from the biggest problem facing the club at the moment, that said however it is yet another example of (a) how poorly the club continues to be run & (b) how dreadfully out of touch they actually are with the fans now.

The club has been an utter embarrassment for the last few years and this is “just another brick in the wall” really ?
Spot On .

Anyone who signed up for the programme annual subscription receive an Aldershot programme yet?

Mine hasn't arrived today - the idea of the subscription was that they arrived before the game.

Back