• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was Kevin Bond right?

brigg blue

Newbie⭐
There was a lot of mocking and guffawing when KB said that it would take up to 6 transfer windows to change the mentality of the club.

Here we are having had 4 windows where we could sign players and the problems he faced with the squad are still very much there, too much manager churn hasn't helped neither did the embargo

I think we have brought in too many bang average players on far inflated wages than deserved over the last 4 or 5 years. Questions need to be asked of the scouts and those in charge of signing these deals off also. I make Bond right, this is no quick fix. The club need to sort themselves out massively in this area. Look at the likes of Dagenham. Small fry compared to us, but have recruited extremely well on peanuts and look a real force this season. It can be done if you have a good network and strategy in place. In my opinion we don’t have that and it has showed for years and years.

I think we have brought in too many bang average players on far inflated wages than deserved over the last 4 or 5 years. Questions need to be asked of the scouts and those in charge of signing these deals off also. I make Bond right, this is no quick fix. The club need to sort themselves out massively in this area. Look at the likes of Dagenham. Small fry compared to us, but have recruited extremely well on peanuts and look a real force this season. It can be done if you have a good network and strategy in place. In my opinion we don’t have that and it has showed for years and years.
Problem is most players agents recommend avoid joining our club. We are left with ones others don't want unless we pay inflated wages.

There was a lot of mocking and guffawing when KB said that it would take up to 6 transfer windows to change the mentality of the club.

Here we are having had 4 windows where we could sign players and the problems he faced with the squad are still very much there, too much manager churn hasn't helped neither did the embargo

With his disastrous reign he turned it into a self fulfilling prophesy.

I would say Brown started the rot and it continued with Bond's signings.

Brown does not have a background at our current level and neither does the Club have the resources to take on the big spenders.

I would like to see an end to attempted quick fixes and even if takes 5 plus years in the wilderness, I want to see the Club build proper foundations.

Although it is early days but with the exception of Arnold and possibly Dalby, the recruitment this season looks off the mark. Brown preferring players he has had connections with in the past, just doesn't work.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with Brown for the foreseeable future.

Agreed on Dagenham but they aren't paying peanuts. They quietly pay good wages, but they are paying them on the right people, which we repeatedly do not do.

To build a good squad containing skill and flair costs money. Our opposition needs neither. Any side with muscle, athleticism and a modicum of pace, will rip us open. We are slow, ponderous and a light breeze away from more injuries. The retention and recruitment of players has been predictably naff. We are not competitive and we have no brighter horizon to look for with this squad and management.

I would say Brown started the rot and it continued with Bond's signings.

Brown does not have a background at our current level and neither does the Club have the resources to take on the big spenders.

I would like to see an end to attempted quick fixes and even if takes 5 plus years in the wilderness, I want to see the Club build proper foundations.

Although it is early days but with the exception of Arnold and possibly Dalby, the recruitment this season looks off the mark. Brown preferring players he has had connections with in the past, just doesn't work.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with Brown for the foreseeable future.
A lot of fans cant stand 5 days in the wilderness, no way would a large section of our fans allow 5 years for things to improve (though I make you right).

Agreed on Dagenham but they aren't paying peanuts. They quietly pay good wages, but they are paying them on the right people, which we repeatedly do not do.

Look at Borehamwood, a smaller club than Dagenham or Wealdstone.
They had a home gate of 772 v Stockport last week and the ground has the smallest capacity in the League.

Most of the clubs in this league will be better run than ours, but more importantly they are not clubs who have been dragged through the courts on a regular basis and regularly pay their players on time.

As i've said so many times, our clubs name is mud within the echelons of the game. Even if we did somehow muster up the funds to sign a few decent players they are never going to want to leave wherever they are currently plying their trade to join us.

Until there is change at the very top and we regain some semblance of credibility, then our hopes of doing anything will always rely on a group of journeymen pro's and youngsters hoping to catch the eye of other clubs on the way up.

This is not the way to gain promotion from this tough league, and it's so ****ing obvious it hurts.

Harrogate makes their programme free to read online and they interviewed Mark Oxley last week. In the interview he mentions us and says that during Covid the players were just left to deal with it and he ended up ringing the PFA frequently about wages and they were told they'd get the money if "certain things happened". He also says it was common on a Saturday for players to be discussing whether they'd be getting paid on the bus to the match. If a player is thinking about coming here and hears stuff like that from ex-players why would they think it's a good idea?

He was definitely right, and chopping and changing managers has made it worse.

He smelt the stink at the club.

Harrogate makes their programme free to read online and they interviewed Mark Oxley last week. In the interview he mentions us and says that during Covid the players were just left to deal with it and he ended up ringing the PFA frequently about wages and they were told they'd get the money if "certain things happened". He also says it was common on a Saturday for players to be discussing whether they'd be getting paid on the bus to the match. If a player is thinking about coming here and hears stuff like that from ex-players why would they think it's a good idea?

Totally disgraceful! That's a disgusting way to treat employees.

Sadly no surprise to read that. Must have been a major factor in our poor recruitment under a succession of managers. It's almost like very few players a actually want to sign for us? Lose the next two and PB will be under severe pressure. Maybe by Christmas we will be complaining about the next manager's poor signings or post match interviews comments.

Back