• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Aldershot Town, Tuesday 14th September, 1945ko, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • New Loanee Keeper

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • John White

Votes: 43 53.8%
  • Josh Coulson

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 57 71.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 65 81.3%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 68 85.0%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 61 76.3%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • O'Shane Stewart

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 66 82.5%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Hamzad Kargbo

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Lewis Gard

Votes: 6 7.5%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Win

Votes: 44 55.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Lose

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stewart

Striker
Quick turn around ,chance for some to atone for the debacle against Halifax, what system can we play to as many said bring Jack Bridge forward more.i was thinking 4-3-1-2, also can we get a loan keeper in before tuesday.,I wont pick a team until the Thread and poll comes online as normal just a couple of qustions here as a topic for debate.

I will edit this into more of a preview later today, but thought I'd get the thread up early to provide space for people to suggest what they would do on Tuesday night to shake things up after yesterday's debacle!

This is such a crucial match. If we can't beat Aldershot convincingly then we can't beat anyone! Aldershot have lost all five of their opening matches. Murphy and Dalby should run riot. Brown must adopt an attacking formation. Egbri should start with instructions to run fast, cross quickly and repeat.

We still owe Aldershot for that floodlights failure. How different things might have been.....

This really should be a man v Boys encounter. Aldershot got rid of 12 players to bring in 8 this year and going even stronger for youth. I think they are the youngest squad in the league and are suffering perhaps as we did when the balance goes too far in one direction

18 of their squad are aged 25 or under, Overall an average age of just 22, Coldnt find anyone over 29 but may be wrong as things change quickly

Their line up for the last defeat was old man Walker in goal aged 29, back 4 of Kinsella 27, Lyon-Foster 25, Oxlade Chamerlain 23, and Whittingham 23. They played aa 4-4-2.
Phillios aged 24, Edser 22, Agyepong 24 and Andrews 23 make up midfield . Upfront the young Frenchman Aouchria 21 and Harris 22

Should smash these young no bob mugs

Lewis Kinsella is a good player, he came through the Villa ranks with his best mate Jack Grealish, he was also unlucky to be released by Colchester when many fans thought he should have been given another contract. He has had a couple of bad injuries that has made a big hole in his appearance record. Christian Oxlade Chamberlain is the younger brother of Alex, but has never quite settled anywhere. The trouble with playing a young side is they are often pretty nippy, I hope your lads can keep up!

4 at the back for starters.

Also get Rushy, Louis Walsh and Rob Howard on the bench. Need some youthful energy and spirit to mix it up some.

Will post some more thoughts soon I imagine, but still getting my head around yesterday.

This is such a crucial match. If we can't beat Aldershot convincingly then we can't beat anyone! Aldershot have lost all five of their opening matches. Murphy and Dalby should run riot. Brown must adopt an attacking formation. Egbri should start with instructions to run fast, cross quickly and repeat.

We still owe Aldershot for that floodlights failure. How different things might have been.....
Have you ever seen that from Egbri. He works hard but has zero capability in crosses other than running into a dark corner or beating the same man 3 times.Sorry but he just cannot cross at all.

Last edited:

So when we are 1-0 down someone should sabotage the floodlights ?

Obviously wasn't at the game on Saturday, maybe someone who was could answer the simple question, is Seaden ready for first team football? The whole ethos of the team surely starts from the back and confidence in the keeper. Not that I'd want to put the blame for Saturday's defeat on Seaden but if he is not ready a priority must be to get a loan keeper in. One of the things which shocked me on Saturday was that, aware we had a young and relatively inexperienced keeper between the sticks, we should have been busting a gut to protect him and prevent crosses coming in. The fact that we were totally unable or incapable of doing that is very worrying.

Have you ever seen that from Egbri. He works hard but has zero capability in crosses other than running into a dark corner or beating the same man 3 times.Sorry but he just cannot cross at all.
In fairness he's only 20. Even Cristiano Ronaldo struggled to cross the ball consistently in his first spell at Man U. He was more obsessed with endless stepovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
In fairness he's only 20. Even Cristiano Ronaldo struggled to cross the ball consistently in his first spell at Man U. He was more obsessed with endless stepovers.
Sorry but he is a professional footballer, surely one of the basics is that you can cross a ball. Comparing him with Ronaldo. ?

Eggers is young and I like his energy, although Im not sure he is responding so well to Phils plans and positioning for him

He seems to run away with himself too often. He clearly has talent and pace and needs to continue to learn how best to use it. Confidence would grow with a little bit more composure. He has the speed to find that little bit of space where he should learn to briefly stop, think and compose before firing a decent ball into the box

But maybe a bit of panic sets in for now

Have you ever seen the from Egbri. He works hard but has zero capability in crosses other than running into a dark corner or beating the same man 3 times.Sorry but he just cannot cross at all.

That's why I specifically said "cross quickly". I should have added "and accurately"....of course!

Sorry but he is a professional footballer, surely one of the basics is that you can cross a ball. Comparing him with Ronaldo. ?
I wasn’t comparing him to CR per se, just saying that at that particular age a winger is going to be raw. I don’t know whether you watch EFL or even MOTD but if you do you’ll notice that even at the highest level plenty of crosses/corners hit the first man or are overhit.

Besides, Egbri is capable of putting in a decent cross. It was him who assisted Ralph for the equaliser away at Crawley last season for example.

Obviously he needs to improve but with some decent coaching there’s no reason why he couldn’t become more consistent.

gk
White, Hobson, Coulson, Ralph
Bridge, Dunne, Agogo, +Plus either Walsh/Atko/Philips/Ferg ; whoever has a focus
Dalby, Murph

Play 4 4 2 ffs, we haven't got players for wing back and enough pace/energy for 3 cbs.

And FANS, save the moans, groans and jeers for watching Strictly.

The games certainly come thick and fast in the National League don't they. This time Aldershot, and I wonder what Southend Utd will turn up for this one. Hopefully it will be the one that had us cheering against Wrexham and we can all go home happy after the game, Phil included, if we take all 3 points and play well.

I do worry about who will be between the sticks for Tuesday night, as it's very unlikely to be Arnold and poor old Harry must be shell shocked after Halifax. We shall see come the day. So, game 6, and, according to some on here the wheels have already fallen off. Well, for me, it's way too early to judge, and a convincing win would do everybody good. Whatever, as I've said repeatedly since pre-season, the team need our support more than ever so lets get behind them from the start and see how things pan out.

I reckon the Blues will win and Aldershot's losing start will continue. Not an easy league this though.

4463 Sold*​

3670 seats available.

Blimey if we get over 4,500 home fans on Tuesday , not bad turnout especially after our poor start

Any news on when Ogogo will be available again? Seem to remember PB suggesting he wouldn’t be out for long.

The Aldershot manager is under severe pressure from the fans who want him out. If he is sacked tomorrow we could be looking at playing a team with the new manager /caretaker bounce in place. Hopefully, Searle is still in place for Tuesday with morale at Shots still at rock bottom.

Back