• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was Kevin Bond right?

Irrespective of that, the first rule of any business is to pay your staff. It's not like it was a "one off" either. A well run business with a sustainable model would not have got to the point where wages went unpaid like that. Failure to pay wages on time carries a serious reputation hit which leads to unhappy players and a toxic atmosphere. This would account for their lack of fight.

The buck stops with Ron, not the manager.

Iā€™m not denying that, just pointing out that suggestions he picks and chooses who he pays, at least employee wise, is incorrect.

As for external companies etc Iā€™ve have no idea on that front.

Irrespective of that, the first rule of any business is to pay your staff. It's not like it was a "one off" either. A well run business with a sustainable model would not have got to the point where wages went unpaid like that. Failure to pay wages on time carries a serious reputation hit which leads to unhappy players and a toxic atmosphere. This would account for their lack of fight.

The buck stops with Ron, not the manager.
Plenty of businesses suffered during lockdown. Some people have never been payed.

Thats aside football can never be 'sustainable' model....The fans make sure of that....At all levels.

Plenty of businesses suffered during lockdown. Some people have never been payed.

Thats aside football can never be 'sustainable' model....The fans make sure of that....At all levels.
I can point you to a number of clubs in lower populated locations who are thriving in the EFL due to strong management. True some have wealthier backers, but Ron's decision to not sell to one (who knows if there may have been a concrete offer in the last 20 years) is still another decision which impacts the club and its fans. We are a club who can easily draw 13-15K in the Championship, a number which has potential to rise higher if we sustain that position due to our location, something we were all dreaming of in the mid 2000s, yet here we are struggling in non-league. In terms of potential, we're a sleeping giant in NL, but the mismanagement of the club by one man has seen to it that we're completely rotten to the core and a bit of a laughing stock. He has led us into a hopeless position, but we're stuck with him. Still, maybe in a few years we'll have a nice big stadium when we're derby matches against Concorde Rangers.

Erm - SUFC failed to pay their players on time on numerous occasions before the Pandemic so the "lockdown" comment is irrelevant/a deflection.

I agree football generally isn't a sustainable model in the general sense but equally the vast majority of club (even those who carry significant debt) haven't defaulted or delayed paying of their players - and blaming the fans rather than the Chairman???

Or - alternatively - information shared by the players affected that got into the public domain and is very much true.

I have dealings and had dealings with players from that time, and those I know and trust said that wasnā€™t the case.

Every player got paid their wages, albeit not always on time. No player is/was outstanding any monies.

I have dealings and had dealings with players from that time, and those I know and trust said that wasnā€™t the case.

Every player got paid their wages, albeit not always on time. No player is/was outstanding any monies.
Sorry - you misunderstand my point - I didn't say players didn't end up receiving their wages (eventually) but that some players were paid late "intentionally" and those players believe this was targeted as it wasn't consistent across the whole squad

EDIT - just to add at least one player called on the PFA to intervene on their behalf to ensure wages were settled after they had left club

That was another SZ rumour that became SZ factā€¦

Itā€™s true.

When we went down under Tilly there were a handful of players whose wages were paid (Anthony Grant for one and I think Simon Francis was another) to stop them walking for free (like the Macc lads or further back the Barnet players Judas signed) and prioritised over the rest of the players Ron wanted to force out.

More recently we know that some players were paid later than others. This is a matter of public record (eg in the Echo) on top of what those with inside sources tell us.

Pleased to hear weā€™re up to date at the moment though.

Itā€™s true.

When we went down under Tilly there were a handful of players whose wages were paid (Anthony Grant for one and I think Simon Francis was another) to stop them walking for free (like the Macc lads or further back the Barnet players Judas signed) and prioritised over the rest of the players Ron wanted to force out.

More recently we know that some players were paid later than others. This is a matter of public record (eg in the Echo) on top of what those with inside sources tell us.

Agreed YB - was aware of this instances you mentioned.

I do wonder why somebody who clearly has access to significant inside information from SUFC chose to dismiss this as rumour though? Almost as if they are only interested in sharing the more positive information for some reason??

Agreed YB - was aware of this instances you mentioned.

I do wonder why somebody who clearly has access to significant inside information from SUFC chose to dismiss this as rumour though? Almost as if they are only interested in sharing the more positive information for some reason??

Some players have been paid later than others, but theyā€™ve not been cherry picked how it is being described.

Itā€™s a rumour that this was used to ā€œforceā€ players out. That wasnā€™t the case. It was simply using funds available at the time. Whether people choose to believe this or not is down to them.

I share information as and when I have it and am able too. For example, I knew about Arnoldā€™s injury in the week and won money on Halifax beating us. That was sensitive information that I wasnā€™t able to share, and rightly so.

Why would I share only positive information and not negative? Rightly so, I can only share what Iā€™m allowed to share. Iā€™m happy to share no information whatsoever if people prefer. It makes no difference to me.

Itā€™s true.

I can only go off from Tillyā€™s era onwards, so canā€™t comment on Judas signings. Some players were paid later than others, that is true, what isnā€™t true is the motive behind it.

All up to date, and everyone, including former players, have been paid wages in full and on time, and long may it continue.

Why would I share only positive information and not negative? Rightly so, I can only share what Iā€™m allowed to share. Iā€™m happy to share no information whatsoever if people prefer. It makes no difference to me.
Please don't stop sharing! I, for one, appreciate your updates and also understand that sometimes there is information to which you are privvy that you will not be able to share or judge that it would be imprudent to do so.

I'll take whatever inside information I can get. Thanks for your knowledgable and insightful posts.

Some players have been paid later than others, but theyā€™ve not been cherry picked how it is being described.

Itā€™s a rumour that this was used to ā€œforceā€ players out. That wasnā€™t the case. It was simply using funds available at the time. Whether people choose to believe this or not is down to them.

I share information as and when I have it and am able too. For example, I knew about Arnoldā€™s injury in the week and won money on Halifax beating us. That was sensitive information that I wasnā€™t able to share, and rightly so.

Lol - so you are being instructed/allowed to share information eh?

Is your Dad Ron Martin by any chance?

Lol - so you are being instructed/allowed to share information eh?

Is your Dad Ron Martin by any chance?

Iā€™m not being instructed to share information at all. I have permission to pass things on, as would anyone with inside information. I get told little things in confidence that I donā€™t pass on, sensitive things like injuries/transfer target names/and the like.

If I got told I wasnā€™t allowed to share something, then I wouldnā€™t. Iā€™d be daft too.

As for that, no. My **** left at a young age, thanks for that.

I do wonder if you enjoy playing agent provocateur. You seem to do it more and more lately.
With us being relegated twice in a row thereā€™s more to question.

Personally Iā€™m shocked by how easy a ride Ron has got. His handling of the club has been catastrophic. Why arenā€™t more fans questioning what is going on?

I do wonder if you enjoy playing agent provocateur. You seem to do it more and more lately.

No, I don't enjoy it -- I just find it mind-bending that your fanbase is so passive about the situation that's been dragging on for years

Your fans deserve so much better (despite some posters blaming the fans for things Ron has done)

With us being relegated twice in a row thereā€™s more to question.

Personally Iā€™m shocked by how easy a ride Ron has got. His handling of the club has been catastrophic. Why arenā€™t more fans questioning what is going on?
I don't for a moment disagree with you Yorkie. I'm just tired of a supporter of another club offering up criticism more often than not when he/she posts.

Back