• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Aldershot Town

Omg how low can we go ( dont answer that if only the team was a quarter as good as our supporters) beaten again and deserved again power puff up front zero midfield and snails at the back. Phil brown pls stop slagging the players off not helping

Thankfully I wasn’t there to watch the disaster against Halifax but I dragged myself hoping for a response only to see nothing has changed.. our problem doesn’t lie just with the players but the style of football we play.

Not once did we make a nice flowing move consisting of more than 10 passes. We continually pass side to side at the back only to hoof the ball forward aimlessly EVERY SINGLE TIME. We seriously lack that creative midfielder in what we had with Jack Payne or Anthony Wordsworth who is happy to drop into the hole in the middle of the pitch and actually get us forward without a centre back lumping it long to our strikers hoping they can deal with it.. we are very fortunate to have strikers in the form of Dalby and Murphy who by the sounds of it, had an off game against Halifax but have still been very good in getting us goals and already breaking last years top goalscorer record - considering the lack of quality in service they receive (Bridge an exception) I’m surprised they have got as many goals as they have.. if you’re unsure of what I’m talking about by this, please take a look at Halifax’s goal against us which consisted of a 16 pass move without us touching it or you can look at the worst performing team in Aldershot this evening doing the exact same for their first goal which was worked from the keeper to our right hand side and cut across the box into the goal.

I really really rate Coulson but leaving him at the back to run on to a ball played in behind has caught us out once and it was upsetting to see us concede in the same way we did against Wrexham - a ball squared across the box to an unmarked man in our six yard box because no one could check their shoulder to spot the man and not even keep up with his pace, leaving him on his own does not do us any favours.

If we cannot play football without us hitting it long or keep the ball, we will be in for a very long season which will get toxic very quickly. It’s upsetting to see “professional” players unable to keep possession or create a chance which isn’t hit long by a centre back because he has no options.

The formation needs to change and we need to rid of atleast 8 players I can think of.

Rant over, I feel slightly better now.

Awful, awful, awful.

Hoof the ball, lose the ball
Don't win the second ball
Get beaten in behind, they score from a cross on the same side every single goal.
Murphy falls over.
Every player that has the ball in their feet on the edge of the area reluctantly chooses to shoot, always tries to find a player, then loses the ball.
All crosses fly over.
Fail at taking free kicks simply.
Taking corners is a pointless subject for Southend.
Murphy falls over.
Hoof the ball.

That, after only our 6th game this season stunk of the end of browns first tenure. No attempt to play any football, just pump it time after time after time and expect something to happen. Shocking performance, disgusting in fact.

That Wrexham performance was reason to believe we can be of a level this season to compete but how on earth can people still be expected to turn up and watch that **** excuse for a game of football. Brown needs to find something clicking soon or else he will be back chasing Ron for his payoff money whilst we beg tilly to come and keep us up in the ****ing conference.

Just got home. Haven’t left Roots Hall in such a bad mood for a long time. I’m ashamed and embarrassed to be a Southend fan, we’ve reached an all time low and I’m actually sick of this club.

Made worse by Aldershot’s embarrassing behaviour too. Andrews repeatedly goading the home fans, with coaching staff getting involved in it too. And then the subs at the end standing on the pitch looking at us with massive grins and pretending to check their watches because they knew the stewards wouldn’t open the gates whilst they were standing there. I mean **** me, you’ve lost 5 games, behave yourselves.

Don’t know what to think anymore. If this club was an animal it would’ve been put out of its misery years ago. The club quite simply doesn’t deserve the support it continually gets from us as fans. Investment is needed immediately to get some quality in, as we’re not remotely good enough. Not letting Brown off the hook either, I think he’s re-signed too many with the losing mentality and bar a few, I think his recruitment has mostly been ****.

All in all, **** off Ron Martin. **** off Southend United. How much more are we going to get mugged off by this circus? Not really sure how much more I can take of this bull****.

A sad sad day. I will always love the club for affording me the chance to live out my dream of representing the badge for 6 years of my life in the centre of excellence. Today is the first day that I have felt such apathy towards the club.

Brown got it all wrong today and it was very obvious from the first kick of the game when we passed it back to hobson who spooned it in the air to their centre half on his own. I like Hobson but his weaknesses are far too weak to be in a pair at the back. I would love someone to explain to me Browns game plan of playing a midfield today, if his only tactic is to bypass them EVERY time we get the ball at the back. Having played with and known Bridgey for many years, he has always been either an 8 or a 10 who plays between the lines and causes both the defence and midfield issues. What do we do? play him out wide and refuse to give him the ball to feet. Two centre midfielders, both not great on the ball so what is the point in having them both in there? I will always have a soft spot for Atkinson but his game was always his legs and his engine which have clearly gone. Why did Brown not move Bridgey inside so we have someone who is comfortable on the ball and get an outlet in walsh on earlier (who was excellent when he came on). Egbri was bright, but will always fall down with his end product which simply isnt good enough.

A separate paragraph is warranted for the strikers. I genuinely believe that we have one of the best strike forces in the league, and a duo who would do well in the football league with the right players behind them. Dalby's touch and presence is excellent coupled with the movement of Murphy which again I thought was very good today. Another question for anyone who thinks Brown has a clue what he is doing, why do we insist on lumping it up to two players who arent the most mobile when we have previously had success going round teams and getting to the byline for these two to feed off of in the box. Where are the tactics? I did not join in with the Martin chants at the end as tonight was simply not his fault. Brown has brought in 7 of the starting XI tonight and they were beaten by a very poor Aldershot side. Something has to change very quickly as we could be with Concord next season.

Ratings

Arnold 7 - Commanding, fills me with a good degree of confidence. Great communicator and not sure he had a chance with any of the goals.

Demi 3 - Useless, always liked Demi but I think his time is up. Sloppy in possession, terrible set pieces. What is going on with Elvis?

Hobson 4 - Wins a lot in the air but cannot use his feet for the life of him. Cannot be part of a 2 at the back as his weakness is amplified.

Coulson 5 - Looks a good presence and tidy, not sure we can blame him for the goal too badly as we allowed them to play down the side of us and no centre half wants to be in a foot race with a pacey forward.

Ralph 7 - MOM for me. Was a victim of playing it long a little too often, but unlike many of the others his often found its target and had some degree of finesse. Won everything in the air. Too good for us and certainly too good for this level.

Egbri 5 - Industrious and runs a lot, some neat dribbling at times. Will always fall victim to his poor end product.

Atkinson 3 - Ran around in circles all game and had no impact on proceedings.

Dunne 4 - Put himself about, think with agogo next to him he looks more comfortable. Still a lot of huffing and puffing with little influence in the middle of the park. Reminds me a touch of deegan, but deegan put himself about more and actually offered to take the ball from the back, neither centre mids did today.

Bridge 6 - Clearly one of our best players on the ball, wasted out wide today as Brown has clearly told the back 4 to lump it every time they get the ball.

Dalby 6 - Great presence and touch, looks a real player. Wont be with us for long if we keep going like this.

Murphy 7 - Like him a lot, never stops running and his movement off the ball is excellent. Will score a shed load of goals if we actually provide any sort of service.

Subs

White 2 - Same old John. I have often been a critic of White, I have a lot of respect for him and his service but he has been a regular in a side who have been relegated twice and shipped goals in for fun. I cannot remember seeing John White ever taking more than 2 touches, the first just in front and the second a hoof up field (which never reaches its target).

Walsh 7 - Exciting, dynamic and fast, everything Phil Brown seems to hate in a player. Came on and took people on immediately, getting to the byline and winning a corner. Looked strong and skilful, if he doesn't start getting starts soon I will be convinced it's because he isn't over 6 foot, 30+ and can actually run.

Rush 5 - Feel sorry for Rushy, comes on as a small nifty forward and his first involvement is a john white special straight up in the air against a 6 foot + non league centre half.

Brown 0 - Horrendous, shocking, tactically inept. Read above for my review. One thing that annoyed me about Brown tonight is after the game. He is quick to come to the press and blame everyone but himself but when we get a big crowd out at the Hall on a Tuesday night he doesn't even bother to walk round and thank the fans. Will always be fond of the memories of his last reign but i am sorry to say he hasn't got a clue.

Rubbish, frustrating and I think we will begin to see the crowds at the hall begin to fall dramatically in the coming months if that is the dross we are served up.

Brown has had a full pre season, signed several players and we still look absolutely clueless. Got no creativity in midfield yet we've got Akinola sitting at home. Sick of this club being unable to build a team capable of winning football matches.

Why do we make it look so hard? Clubs a lot smaller than ours a able to create teams capable of winning and looking dangerous. Surely with our budget at this level we should be able to bring in some creative players capable of causing defences problems? Signing old players with no creativity is not the way forward. There has got to be some half decent players in non league that we could snap up and want to better their careers.

Club doesnt deserve its fanbase and i fear if this carry's on it wont do for much longer.

Really starting to feel at this rate we would be better off starting a phoenix club than to try and turn this rudderless ship of a club around.

Once again after an enterprising 30 minutes, we completely lose our way in a repeat of Saturday and have no spark do turn it around. The bench was threadbare again but at least Walsh showed some glimpses.

Arnold 6
Demetriou 6
Hobson 6
Coulson 4
Ralph 6 MOTM
Egbri 5
Dunne 5
Atkinson 5
Bridge 6
Dalby 5
Murphy 6

White 5
Walsh 6
Rush 5

Really not sure where we go from here, Bridge in the middle and Walsh out left on Saturday would be a start. Desperately in need of some energy, pace and spark and points before our break.

Plan A: Go long, hope to win the flick on or second ball, over hit ball or lose second ball.

Plan B: Please refer to plan A, even if we take Dalby off.

How did PB manage in the prem with such god awful tactics?! He must have had the greatest backroom team of all time

I was trying to work out why he took Dalby off, he was the only player who had a sniff with our long balls against their towering defenders, but no, we take him off and replace him with Rush and then continue to pump aimless balls up top.

Utterly clueless tactics, it wasn't working even with Dalby as no one was reading any flick ons. To continue after he had taken him off is genuinely bizarre.

Make no mistake we are in real trouble again, there is no creativity in the whole squad and we look very vulnerable to any sort of pace

Last edited:
Utter disgrace complete lack off effort no meaningful challenges the team is full of useless washed up ****ers I'm not attending whilst that **** Ron Martin is in charge everything is his fault he is a disgrace what he is doing to our club is an embarresent did I mention his a **** already pathetic I've never been so ashamed of my club.

It's all well and good blaming the chairman and the manager (both valid) but equally you have 11 players out there playing extremely poorly.

The lack of creativity and pace in the side is worrying, but the terrible distribution from defence is making everything 10x more difficult than it needs to me. Hobson's pass percentage must be in the minus figures, while John White's football intelligence is near zero. Whatever the coach is telling them is one thing, but it can't be to aimlessly hoof the ball forward the minute one receives the ball.

Brown was a disaster with the subs though, Egbri is a terrible footballer but at least he has energy - Atkinson was blowing from 30 minutes in.

Yeah, keep a guy who kept us in the Championship, who's profile would attract players to the club well away from the club. And what's Tom Lawrence done wrong you idiot. Most engaging employee at the bloody club. Embarrassing comments.

You are Collymore under another name.

Plan A: Go long, hope to win the flick on or second ball, over hit ball or lose second ball.
Plan B: Please refer to plan A, even if we take Dalby off.

How did PB manage in the prem with such god awful tactics?! He must have had the greatest backroom team of all time
Spot on.

Back