• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Aldershot Town

I pretty much agree with all you have said here.

I really don't give a toss about being called a Brown Hater by some on here who will no doubt not post for a few days as is their normal modus operandi.

However I will stand up for Brown in that he wanted Holmes and I assume Brown thought he would have provided that creativity.

However he was over ridden by an owner who knows about as much about football as I know about quantum physics.
Though i agree with the sentiment of this signing an ageing player with a "degenerative" injury never has and never will be the answer.

Surely however there are more young and exciting players looking for a chance that we could sign. Thats why we have scouts isnt it?

There were many things that stagger and appalled me tonight, but what absolutely tops the lot is the fact that we did the same thing from minute one and yet the management didn’t attempt to change the game plan when the game was in an absolute lull after their second went in. They just stood and stared as minute after minute went by of us lumping it into the channel, which hadn’t worked all night. Then when we finally made changes (in the 80th minute!) we went like for like.

3-5-2 wasn’t exactly setting the world alight, but it needed a couple of tweaks. Instead, we went to 4-4-2 and completely played into Aldershot’s hands, whilst shooting ourselves in the foot. We’ve not brought in any pace or any creativity and it’s absolutely killing us.

I think this post cant be underestimated. I hear the club shop is a shambles, no 50/50 ticket offices closed on match days ,no program sellers, season tickets still not turned up for many, forgive me, but dont we have supporters groups that waste a couple of hours of their lives to blow smoke up RM and TL areses each month to cover off all this ****'?

and then of course there is the football...
I feel like The Shrimpers Trust let Ron play them for fools and from what I’ve seen on the Zoom calls he gets an easy ride. In addition, Ron gets to dictate now the meetings should take place every 4 weeks instead of 3 to give him an extra week of avoiding mild scrutiny - once again ST bow down and let him exert control over them. The man is a compulsive liar and his constant “jam tomorrow”rhetoric seems to always go unchallenged.

Time to hold him accountable and his feet to the fire. This is now beyond unacceptable.

Last edited:
Though i agree with the sentiment of this signing an ageing player with a "degenerative" injury never has and never will be the answer.

Surely however there are more young and exciting players looking for a chance that we could sign. Thats why we have scouts isnt it?
Do you really think that any youngster looking to join a club to make their mark in the professional game would have any interest in joining our joke of a club?

And there in lies the problem, we have become a self fullfilling prophecy. A tarnished reputation within the game thanks to our bouffanted chairman means we can't attract any decent players and without any decent players we become more of a joke and slip towards oblivion.

Brown, Powell, Bond, (Waddock), Campbell, Molesley, Brown

All these managers

Who has overseen the whole thing? Who’s been their boss?

Until Ron Martin is out of this club this slow death will not end.

I know he’s not leaving. Not least until his Lego set has been built but with this man as the chairman the only way we continue to go is further down

That was my first game for 4 years after being abroad for 3 years and the last year of COVID. I’m trying to hold onto the feeling of being back in the Hall, a place I love, but **** me.

No pace. No desire. No one to put a foot on it and find a simple pass. No ideas. No hope.

Even going 4-4-2 didn’t help, we failed to use the added width. The strikers had no supply and were isolated, we don’t have players on the bench to change a game (although Walsh did seem an improvement). We didn’t have a midfielder to put a foot on it and make the simple pass, or midfielder who can carry the ball to push the whole team up. No discernible reaction from Saturday and 6 of the starting 11 were summer recruits, Brown seems incapable of finding the right way to motivate them because meetings and public slagging certainly isn’t working - although he did show a better turn of pace to retrieve a throw than any player did! New recruits on the way? Doesn’t exactly inspire as you don’t trust him to bring in what’s needed, probably more over 30s, all we have is kids and veterans and nothing inbetween.

I can’t be arsed rating the players.

Haven’t felt this bad after a game for a really long time.

I guess we asked for 4-4-2 and we got it, and it wasn’t very good.

We’ve signed two decent strikers and give them literally no service which meant their keeper hasn’t had a save to make all night - the 2 goals we scored were both flukes.

Ron Martin is accountable for the club being where we are, but tonight’s performance is the responsibility of Phil Brown. Of the starting XI, only Ralph and Egbri were not signed or re-signed by him. They’re his team playing his tactics and frankly it’s not good enough.

The lack of creativity in the team is appalling, the aged pros he has signed are 2 years past their sell buy date.

I’m really at a loss as to where we go from here - this looks like a bottom half of the conference team supported by League One fans - but for how long?

Other teams have clearly worked us out now and we have no answers and no options to change things positively.

It’s just all so depressing

Do you really think that any youngster looking to join a club to make their mark in the professional game would have any interest in joining our joke of a club?

And there in lies the problem, we have become a self fullfilling prophecy. A tarnished reputation within the game thanks to our bouffanted chairman means we can't attract any decent players and without any decent players we become more of a joke and slip towards oblivion.
There are much smaller clubs than ours that are capable of bringing in these types of players. We just seem to be looking in the wrong direction in my opinion. Signing old and ex players is not what we should be doing

But yes our reputation is in the mud which doesnt help and that has started with Martin no doubt. I would love nothing more than someone to come in and buy him out so we can rebuild but this doesnt look likely so we have to try and rebuild our reputation. Also doesnt help that we seemingly have no footballing philosophy or identity

Brown, Powell, Bond, (Waddock), Campbell, Molesley, Brown

All these managers

Who has overseen the whole thing? Who’s been their boss?

Until Ron Martin is out of this club this slow death will not end.

I know he’s not leaving. Not least until his Lego set has been built but with this man as the chairman the only way we continue to go is further down
Spot on. We can rant and rant about each useless manager and their useless signings and their wrong formations, and there'll be at least one more mug/clown/scapegoat/PE teacher before the season is out, but one person has been there overseeing the whole lot. Even if Ron goes now it will take years to turn this mess into anything resembling a professional football club

I feel like The Shrimpers Trust let Ron play them for fools and from what I’ve seen on the Zoom calls he gets an easy ride. In addition, Ron gets to dictate now the meetings should take place every 4 weeks instead of 3 to give him an extra week of avoiding mild scrutiny - once again ST bow down and let him exert control over them. The man is a compulsive liar and his constant “jam tomorrow”rhetoric seems to always go unchallenged.

Time to hold him accountable and his feet to the fire. This is now beyond unacceptable.
absolutely this, well said.. finally

I pretty much agree with all you have said here.

I really don't give a toss about being called a Brown Hater by some on here who will no doubt not post for a few days as is their normal modus operandi.

However I will stand up for Brown in that he wanted Holmes and I assume Brown thought he would have provided that creativity.

However he was over ridden by an owner who knows about as much about football as I know about quantum physics.
But im sure this owner who just wants a shiney new stadium knows without success on the pitch his stadium and development plans are dead in the water!! So I'm guessing he does know a bit about the football side of things and wasting money on an old crock with past injury problems was not in the best interests of the club!

I’ve typed out several replies to this thread but honestly what’s the point. Genuinely what is the point in all of this. We’re not even competing. Just going through the motions, pretending to be a football club for the 4th season in a row.

Southend United Football Club is an obstacle to Ron Martin and we are quite literally watching the club die in front of us

But im sure this owner who just wants a shiney new stadium knows without success on the pitch his stadium and development plans are dead in the water!! So I'm guessing he does know a bit about the football side of things and wasting money on an old crock with past injury problems was not in the best interests of the club!

He doesn't need a shiny new stadium, he needs shiny new homes

If there is no club left he will be able to build as many houses or flats as he likes on both plots of land.

He's not going to lose any sleep over us.

Well yes because they need to start somewhere and we are a pro club after all.

Only 4 pluses in this team, Arnold, Bridge, Dalby, Ralph …….rest absolute paceless cripples , Phil Brown signings that will be fighting relegation as there is the usual negative set up under Tango…..may as well go now as he has returned more clueless than before.
Signing Atkinson said it all……paceless defence will get ripped apart every week and strikers will get no service from the sideways merchants that he has cobbled together. It was win win for him taking over from the equally useless Molesley but after tonight it shows how badly he has read this League……not sure what can be done either as you can try as hard as you like but if the pace isn’t there then it never will be, September 15th and what’s mess!

Back