• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best opposition player seen at hall ?

That Chelsea team that beat us in the replay. First time I'd seen lampard and ballack in the flesh. Was amazing to see the level.
Yep, same. Having not been to a top flight game in many years at the time, I could barely fathom just how unbelievably talented Frank Lampard was in real life as opposed to on ‘t telly.

Or how far Johnny Herd could fling a football!

Well, there have many legendary players down the years that have graced the Roots Hall turf... Bryan Robson, Stuart Pearce, Ronaldo, Rooney. I didn't see the Liverpool game but there must have been some names in there.

Well, there have many legendary players down the years that have graced the Roots Hall turf... Bryan Robson, Stuart Pearce, Ronaldo, Rooney. I didn't see the Liverpool game but there must have been some names in there.
Of course, I should have also listed Sir Kenny.

He never gave up that evening when others around him thought they were above being at The theatre of horrors. Much respect.

Other than that a young Steve Coppell playing for Tranmere on a cold Friday evening in 1974.

Of course, I should have also listed Sir Kenny.

The funny thing for me was that I was upset (I was a kid) that we weren't playing against Kevin Keagan who was sold the summer before. Kenny was his replacement and I had no idea who he was.

Probably not the most obvious pick but Jonjo Shelvey in the pre-season friendly against Newcastle was a joke. Dimitri Payet wasn't bad either, although not sure they count as non-competitive games.

And yes Lee Trundle is definitely up there too!

Funny one, but the best individual performance I have seen would be Ryan Woods for Shrewsbury against us at the Hall. May have been around 2014-15, when he was a youngster.

Every ball went through him and he completely controlled the game from the centre of the park. He was clearly a few leagues below where he should have been.

A very obscure one but for me Erhun Oztumer for Walsall in 2018. I think our fans cleared the snow from the pitch so the game could go on only for Erhun to completely run the show and score a hat-trick.
Yep, for a non-cup tie, that individual performance will stick with me for a long time too. The context of our form at that time just adds to the impressiveness of it.

Back