• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Molesley

I wish Mark well in the future but I do not admire him for taking the job with us or the career gamble he decide to take with our club, the one I have supported and loved for 55+ years. We hear how he analyses everything and leaves no stone unturned etc. etc., well, as an intelligent guy, with a multitude of backroom assistance, I am surprised he didn't realise what he was taking on. Yes, he was dealt a poor hand and probably not what he expected but, at end of the day, he wanted to move up the management ladder and Ron gave him that opportunity, ably encouraged by Harry no doubt. MM's has got himself another job now, at the level he previously decided to leave - does he care about our club now , I doubt it, did he set out to get us relegated, of course not, but I cannot bring myself to ever admire him for becoming our manager.
Well said Chris B. It is not a question of "hating on" Mark Moseley (whatever Americanised jargon that might mean), it is more about Mr Moseley failing to do any due diligence on the football club when he applied for the job, and for that he paid the price.

I think people are genuinely forgetting just how poor we were under molesley, weird subs, awful tactics, the laptops, the beanie man, the process the feeling of going a goal down after 20 minutes and knowing that we would never in a million years score 2 goals to win with akinola and goodship pratting about on the wings and acquah way out of his depth, Halford, Mellis, never ever playing for a win, games where the players barely showed up, No real development of players under him, no plan B, and plan A was to defend for 90 minutes.

He was dealt a poor hand but he still wasnt able to inspire enough out of what he had. And it was ****ing miserable for everyone involved.

Wrong time for him perhaps, and he got the shaft, but he still got more wrong then right imo.

I get the feeling that he will do a lot better then with us given the chance and he learns, like he learnt not to try playing it out from the back. So good luck to him. But i cant defend his tenure at all.
So exactly how we are now

If MM had had the luxury of Murphy and Dalby up front at the beginning of last season things may well have turned out differently.
Definitely very differently— can’t say exactly where we’d have ended up but nearer the top than the bottom,that’s for sure.

How many 'useless' managers do we have to go through before we realise that the managers aren't always the problem when we're doing badly?

Number 1 factor on a club's success is recruitment, and we've been in/out of embargoes pretty much constantly over the last 3 years. MM was under embargo for the entire summer window! Sol signed two players who could never be registered to play!

The structure around the managers at Southend is abysmal and until that changes, we'll continue to go through 'useless' managers over and over as we spiral down the divisions.

Short interview with Mark on his time at Southend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09wrgxh
Absolute gentleman with dignity. Most ex managers would have put all or some of the blame on Ron Martin or the football club. You get the sense the interviewer wanted him to, and tried to squeeze something out of him, but he never said a bad word about Southend.

That interview just reinforces my view that we should have stuck with him. What difference did it make sacking the bloke? absolutely **** all as we still ended up in the National League. Those that spent their time rubbishing him all the time with that incredibly original PE teacher jibe should have a good look at themselves, but they won't, they just move on to the next target of choice.

I don’t think MM was a bad manager, he conducted himself professionally but bore the brunt of 3 seasons of frustration from our fans. Some OTT but he at least gave it a try. Aldershot is another tough one for him, he clearly likes a challenge and is confident in his abilities. Good luck to the fella.

That interview just reinforces my view that we should have stuck with him. What difference did it make sacking the bloke? absolutely **** all as we still ended up in the National League. Those that spent their time rubbishing him all the time with that incredibly original PE teacher jibe should have a good look at themselves, but they won't, they just move on to the next target of choice.

Indeed. Puerile springs to mind.

I pinned my colours to the MM mast very early doors and nothing I heard from inside the dressing room or the training ground gave me reason to deviate from that.

Even the ongoing good natured jousting with me ol mate mfurok didn’t convince me he wasn’t capable of doing the job.

He had the hardest of jobs. The club was in disarray returning from covid. Pitches not marked, kit not bought, players devoid of confidence who had been ignored for 4 months, furloughed or not paid at all. He was employed with 3 weeks to the start of the season under an embargo until January and lost 3 attacking players in a month of starting 2 of which were most people’s pick as first choice front 2!!!!

He adapted his own approach to suit the circumstances and the level. He slowly turned round performances and results to the point where not only were the club at one point out of the relegation places but consistently in games and in touch with the places of safety.

His one issue with the side was scoring goals…if only he’d realised what so many fans could see so easily, that if when you have no good forwards in the club and can’t sign anyone, you just have to play loads of forwards in an attacking formation to score more goals…..and win loads of games 5-4…..

Oh well.

I have no doubt that he will develop into the type of ‘Crowley’ unknown figure plucked from non league that everyone craved…..and then we can all carry on with the ‘we should’ve stuck with him’ mantra that so often comes with ex players and managers…..

I have no doubt that he will develop into the type of ‘Crowley’ unknown figure plucked from non league that everyone craved…..and then we can all carry on with the ‘we should’ve stuck with him’ mantra that so often comes with ex players and managers…..
That is very true and after a decent interval of a few years it becomes 'very few wanted him to go at time' which is a point I was trying to make about Paul Sturrock on another thread earlier in the week.
There is at least the merit of consistency about those fans who regard all managers as 'clueless clowns' or even those who criticise everything one manager does and defend everything another one does.
If Phil Brown does turn things around this season there are a lot of us who are going to have find some ingenious ways to spin our current take on things. I'm working on my explanation already just in case. :Winking:

Back